Not just water, but all fluids to the water page (soda, coffee, milk, etc)

From a health perspective, should all liquids be captured as, or least, partially, in the Water page? i.e. coffee (lots of water), diet (zero calorie) soda, skim milk, etc. Thanks for the consideration, Tommy

Moderator edit: Updated subject for clarity.

30 Comments
Odyssey13
Community Legend

Hi @tommyd273

Many of us consider any liquid we drink as part of our daily water totals and many only count water. It's an individual choice as to what we add. I think of the broth in soup as part of my water for the day and I don't count the water content of the watermelon. Everyone does what they feel best suits their situation.

tommyd273
First Steps
Good deal. Appreciate the feedback. I’ll keep keepin on. Have a good one. Thanks

Sprite
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hey @tommyd273 and commenters! Nice suggestion, thanks for sharing. We look forward to hearing what other community members think.

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

Personally I would just add every liquid as water. coffee, tea, etc as one-to-one equivalent to water. 

What people forget to add is the water in soups, vegetables, and even Meats

Sunrider
Recovery Runner

I think 2 categories would work.

Caffeinated liquid intake and non-caff liquid intake.

I know your body deals with caffeine differently, so that might be something to segregate out.  And you'd catch coffee, tea, regular and diet sodas there.

While water, milk, juice, clear sodas, and your foods (soup/broth, watermelon) could be captured in the non-caff liquid category.

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

There is so little caffiene in drinks, that it does not affect how the body processes the water, when it comes to soda, the water content is exactly that. Water, both should be logged 1 to 1 in amount as water. While I agree that this would be nice, it will not affect water logging. 

I do see where logging caffeine could be helpful for those sensitive. Now to link caffeine intake to the resting heart rate.

Mp1234
First Steps

Other drinks like herbal teas and coffee, etc while not as hydrating a pure water are still hydrating. It would be nice if you could have the option of choosing different kinds of drinks to contribute to your water goals and have the app calculate how much they are contributing in the background.

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Mp1234! Great suggestion, thanks for sharing.  I've moved it into a similar suggestion. Hopefully we will have support from other users since more votes and comments an idea has the more visibility and momentum it gains.

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

We also need to be able to add the water in soups, stews, vegetables, and even meat since this also contributes towards the bodies water needs

ActiveAndry
Recovery Runner

I’d love to see the possibility of logging all fluid intake apart from water. In other words, the same way you can enter your amount of liquid from a menu on the dashboard in the water intake section, you could also get a menu of fluids to choose from (tea, coffee, sports drink, and so on) instead of having water as the only option. It would be great to have an overview of all drinks consumed the same way everything a person eats can be logged. 

jo2010
Jogger

suggestion: logging a coffee, orange juice, soda, soup, or tea etc. to the carbs, automatically logs to the fluid oz.

MarcelBK
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @jo2010, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us, this very similar feature suggestion already exists so I’ve moved your post here.

kinman
First Steps

Why not count water intake from other drinks such as juices, sodas, coffees, etc?

Odyssey13
Community Legend

Hello and welcome to the forums @kinman

Fitbit has no idea what liquid you put down as water. I routinely count tea and milk as my daily intake. Many people do this and it works well for them. Whatever you do is fine.

LuciaFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hello @kinman! Thanks for sharing this suggestion, I moved it to this similar post so you can add your vote to it. Please keep sharing your ideas with us! 

rays54
Recovery Runner

Could you improve the details of water tracking, specifically 

Add major categories such as

- water/ seltzer 

- coffee/ tea 

- soft drink

- etc.

or allow for user defined categories. 

Also, record times for liquid intake and a graph similar to other data.

Add to export capability. 

Thanks. 

jpzoo
Jogger

Would like to see a hydration reminder added in addition to this suggestion 

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @jpzoo! Great suggestion, thanks for sharing your feedback. I've moved it into a similar request.  A lot of users are asking for this option, I hope we receive updates soon.

Rich_Laue
Community Legend
jpzoo
Jogger

@Rich_Laue yes, I did. I have commented all over the community to get the hydration reminder as an added feature as advertised by Fitbit. I see folks have been asking for it for quite some time

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

The best place to comment is in the board that is setup to give feedback to the developers. The other boards are setup for Fitbit users to help Fitbit users, we don't know if any developer looks there. 

HDERAZI96
Jogger

I'd love to see a feature that the tracker application analyze coffee intake to keep the user on time to sleep. By suggesting to not have caffeinated drinks at or after specific time and that vary from person to another based on the user sleep schedule and their caffeine sensitivity (heart rate and activity).

bbarb28
First Steps
I was advised by my care giver that although water is the main source of liquids other liquid can count toward your totals. I have the Fitbit Charge 5
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @bbarb28, thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about being able to personalize the type of liquid taken with us. I noticed a similar idea was already requested in the Feature Suggestion board, so I’ve moved your post here. Please support this idea by adding your vote, this helps our developers to keep tracking its popularity and demand over time.

Chris10895
Jogger
Time and source of liquid consumption to be able to be entered and displayed (in the same way that food items can be selected. All fluid (milk, soup, coffee etc) counts as liquid because of its water content. It's not just plain water that matters.
To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.