See how close you are to the next badge & see all possible badges (benchmark)

I think it would be good to track how close you are to the next badge on your app - i.e. if you are 2 floors away from reaching the next badge, send a push notification through and it'll help people want to earn more badges. If you are 2,000 steps away from the next badge, send a notification through the app or screen on your Blaze (example as I have a blaze). I would like to know how many more life-time miles I need to get to the next badge so they're not a random surprise, and it keeps me wanting to hit a target.

If this could be built into the tracker and released through an update, I think it would help keep people motivated to earning the next badge you offer.

Moderator edit: added label

32 Comments
mgobill
Jogger

I really like the idea of earning badges especially hard to get ones. It'd be nice if there was more emphasis on earning badges and show the progress towards each badge on a dashboard of some sort on the phone app. Maybe like a pie chart showing the percentage gained towards each one. This would help motivate people to get to new goals instead of the repetitive daily 10k steps or whatever which gets a bit mundane.

I've seen ideas for more badges as well like streaks (eg walking 10k for 7 days in a row, etc). This would be pretty cool as well since it shows dedication and cool thing to show off to other people! Thanks!

Moderator Edit: Added Labels

Lueck767
Tempo Runner

I agree. I believe the emphasis on badges / incentives are important for people. This is what continues to motivate people for the long term.

Sithmaith1
Strider

I am someone who does well with short-term goals to achieve, more badges would certainly help me, too.

Trina93
Premium User
Recovery Runner

I love this idea!  I need all the motivation I can get. 

HopeMH
Jogger

I also like this idea.  I've created a note on my phone to keep track of my current progress toward my next badges and how many miles/floors per day I need to average to get there.  I would be willing to pay a one time fee for this upgrade or a small yearly charge for an app with these extra features.

Phil_M
Recovery Runner

I have all the badges available in all categories. I used to look forward to pushing myself to get the next one, but that's it now.

I've only been on Fitbit for about two years, so I imagine people who have been using it much longer are equally unhappy. How hard would it be to just add more of everything? Why stop at 100,000 steps in a day, I'd definitely push beyond that if there were more badges. Why only 700 floors in a day? Again I would do more for more badges. And lifetime floors of 35,000 is a distant memory. My last badge was pole to pole for 20,000km, so no more lifetime distance badges.

Fitbit, convince us that you understand your customers and respond to this!

GeminiSue
First Steps

Absolutely agree with the increased support/tracking for badges and goals.  Also might be worth considering enabling manually input stats to count towards badges too.   I waited eagerly for two badges the other day, only to find out that the steps etc didn't count.  My best day since getting my fitbit - 40,000 + steps.    Totally gutted when informed they wouldn't be included in the badge stakes. 

Eknappen
Jogger

There should be a countdown function for badges that show how many km/ miles/ number of stairs you have left before you get your next badge.

Tao75
Tempo Runner

They removed it from the pc dashboard, i want it back. Should also be implemented in the app

@Eknappen wrote:

There should be a countdown function for badges that show how many km/ miles/ number of stairs you have left before you get your next badge.

Phil_M
Recovery Runner

Over six months ago I said "Fitbit, convince us that you understand your customers and respond to this!"... nothing!

It is this general lack of commitment to customers that sees me finally giving up on Fitbit and moving to a different tracker.

CoryFleck
First Steps

Hi there, I think it would be motivating to add a step and/or mile countdown between badges?

For example, I’ve reached the Nile Badge.  It would be fun to know how close I am to the next one - while keeping the next badge hidden until earned.

CS_Bill
Recovery Runner

Badges are a fun motivator using the app. Is there any way to have the app reflect progress towards the next Badge in a given group? E.g., Lifetime distance & floors badges?

phester66
Jogger

We seem to now have goals as "surprises". A goal in my language is something to aim for so why do we now not see what our next badge/goal is?

Motivation means telling me in 10 miles I will get me next badge, not randomly telling me I have a badge.

A random badge award does not motivate anybody. What would motivate me is to receive messages when I'm getting close to the next badge but seeing as you currently hide these goals, there is no motivation and therefore badges are merely a boasting concept rather than a motivational concept.

Hope this makes sense. 

Paul

MrsFurks
Jogger

The dashboard used to have a feature where you could see what the next badge would be, it was great as it gave you something to aim for.  It would be great to have this feature turned back on!  

CS_Bill
Recovery Runner

I agree. I was trying to make the point that a strong incentive would be to track one's progress towards that next badge, whether cumulative or daily. A bit of encouragement, perhaps, to get to that next higher daily step or climb badge might encourage users to move out just a little more to hit, say, 10000 steps when they've just had a really good day making >7500. It works the same way, I think, for the cumulative badges.

katiemsp
Jogger

More badge options and challenges please! I've been using my fitbit since 2015 and have all the badges I could possibly earn. I guess you max out on fitbit badges at a certain mileage or something... The fitbit challenges are honestly just BORING now. Last year, I switched over to virtual races (vrc.com, yes.fit, stepbet, etc.) with my friends so we could stay motivated and reach our step goals which has helped. I just use my fitbit as a step tracker to sync with these other apps now. Get with it fitbit. Long term users need things to encourage us and keep us motivated!

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
MarcelBK
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

That’s an interesting idea and could be useful, thanks for sharing this suggestion.

AKennedy
Jogger

It would be great to see a lost of badges you have not yet earned. It would give me a go to work towards, other than a day goal.

AKennedy
Jogger

It would be great to see a list of badges you have not yet earned. It would give me a goal to work towards, other than a day goal.

Moderator Edition: Updated title for clarity

J-flex
Distance Runner

There already is a listing of all the badges one can earn.  

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
AlexandraFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Nice suggestion @AKennedy thanks for sharing. We have at the moment the list of trophies you can earn but not the list of badges, we appreciate your contribution @J-flex! We look forward to hearing what other community members think! 

J-flex
Distance Runner

Actually @AlexandraFitbit.  There is a listing of badges that can be earned.  Trophies are awarded for certain achievements.  Badges are also earned and rewarded for certain achievements/milestones 

chriswpaine
First Steps

I would love it if the app showed a countdown to earning the next badge.  I would be super motivated if I saw "43 floors to reach the Hot Air Balloon Badge."  Or 2,487 steps to reach the Monarch Migration Badge."

Something that let's me know how close I am to achieving the next level.

tarriel
Stepping Up
They can't even track your current progress properly why would they track your future progress. If you have had your fitbit a while, and you look at your badge for 5k or 10 steps (at least on android) it maxes out at 161 everything I get to 161 or more stops there, it is a little bit tilting, it is like this is meant to be a flyby night thing, they never imagined people would do it for more than 6 months. They could also increase the number of badges, after all it doesn't cost them anything. No-one else cares that you have just done a million steps, but fitbit should, it is their business. What about 100 consecutive days of 10k steps, or 6 months or 12 months surely that is worth a pat on the back, I really don't care if I have walked the length of India, not that I want to take that away from anyone, but some more simple rewards, would go a long way and then the need for a countdown would be much less.
MikeR.O.U.S.
Jogger

Would like to go to Badges page and see how far to the next lifetime distance and floors goals and what they are. If I could see the next goal I think it would motivate me to get off the couch more often. Thank you for this forum.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.