Option to show Kilojoules in Dashboard and all apps

Many countries favour using Kilojoules instead of calouries for enrgy input and output. Please add the option to choose in all relevent dashboard areas.

Moderator edit: Labels

542 Comments
Bilopete
Stepping Up

I can't believe that there is only 2 votes for this!

I contacted support and their advice was to post the idea on this forum!

Surely if Fitbit are introducing a new product to a new market then they could include the option to choose calories or kilojoules, just as they have done for other relevant units (i.e. length, weight and water)! 

Xylog
Jogger

I am surprised at the low vote count, also. Australia can't be the only country in the world which predominantly uses kilojoules on packaging and in various apps and monitoring devices Smiley Wink

mrnoisy
Recovery Runner
It would be good if the energy measurement could be changed to kilojoules.
gm310509
First Steps

I also support this. I suspect the reason there are only two votes so far (now three) is because it is so hard to find in the list of ideas.

The device supports metric input and display for other metrics. Why not KiloJoules?

While it is easy to do, it is **Really annoying** to have to manually convert KJ to calories when tracking food. Especially when you consider how easy it would be for the software to do the conversion for me.

Moderator edit: format

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

It would be amazingly convenient to have the ability to set the FitBit app and Dashboard to measure Kilojoules rather than calories, for those of us who use the Metric system (Helloooo Australia!). At the moment having to swap to a converter app, then back into the Fitbit app makes adding quick snacks not so quick Cat Wink

Matsuya-Salad
Jogger

I would like the fitbit flex to have an inbuilt thermomiter. So that when I upgrade it takes into account my body temperature, to give a more accurate reading of burnt Calories. I like in the GWD (it's hot). I would also like to see a Kilojoule option setting on the dashboard. Calories are not an accurate tool for weight loss or management.

Matsuya-Salad
Jogger

live in the GWD*

Dusk311
Recovery Runner

Yes many other countries use Kj. New Zealand and lots of European counties

Xander260
Jogger

I spend half my time when logging food doing the conversion from KJ on packaging to Calories. It would improve this product 100% for Australia and the rest of the world that uses KJ. Please add this ASAP, if shipping and selling in these countries im surprised you didn't support these units on release!

Lyn62
First Steps

Adding my vote to the list. Just bought my Fitbit One and am so surprised that there's no kilojoule option. Very disappointing!

Se7enSyns
Stepping Up

Hi,
The ability to enter data in kilojules and also view kilojules burnt.  Another handy addition would be a converter as it is a royal pain to have to convert from kj to food calories or vice versa.  It would be great if it did all this on the fly in the background just like your servings calculator.

Keep up the good work.

Se7enSyns
Stepping Up
Same here. Added my vote. Surely if they can do lbs to kg they can do this. Not everyone lives in America or uses imperial/outdated measurements.
tbird2
First Steps

I'm recording my vote here for kilojoules instead of calories.  Calories mean very little to the majority of the world that functions under the metric system.

JacintaH
Recovery Runner

Vote recorded for this feature.  Hard to believe that its not already a part of the app.

Giulz
Jogger

I bought my fitbit yesterday and I'm shocked that this ability is not standard on release.

I'm not going to give up on my fitbit j ust yet- but given that myfitnesspal on the iphone is already capable of doing this AND lists Australian foods (and is FREE) I'm pretty disappointed at having spent $130 and not having this feature.  If I had been warned of this by the packaging or in the store, I would not have bought it.  I have a 2 week return option - and am considering dumping it for this reason alone.  (my decision is going to depend on how good the sleep tracking is and if that overrides this lack of functionality).

The way that your forum is working at the moment is that you are forcing us to do your market research for you.  I am certain that this product was always intended to be marketed in Australia.  Australia is well know to use entirely metric measures.  ....

I have added my vote, but really!?  You would know how many units sold in Australia.  There's your market.  DONE!

Come on - its time to take this idea from "new idea" to "under consideration".  All of Australia will cheer you.

Baralong
Jogger

Adding my vote to this one. If the app can copy with metric Length, weight and water (also food quantities) then adding kj should be fairly easy, it's no harder than converting lb to/from kg.

It'd also be nice to have an Australian food database, but I can wait on that 🙂

ianwm54
Jogger

Adding my vote too! Using Myfitnesspal to log food with their Australian database in kj but would prefer just to use one app if possible.

4Cool
First Steps

Adding my vote as there is a disconnect between what I see on the FitBit dashboard and my world which is all in kJ. Constant Calorie - kJ conversion is too painful.

dssims
First Steps
I can't believe they still haven't sorted this yet. It is not a difficult
fix! Or does Fitbit think that only Americans matter?
kiemce
First Steps
Another Australian customer here. The lack of Kj option will make me seriously consider an alternative product unless it's resolved soon. The purpose of this device is to track fitness-related metrics, and by not providing the correct units for my country you are potentially not delivering on the advertised product. There may even be a case to answer to under our Consumer Protection laws (if anyone has the time). Don't allow this to go on long enough to detract from what is otherwise a good customer experience!
Chilfey
First Steps

I would be grateful if the developer can add kilojoules for energy please. Thank you

Whozdatgirl
Jogger

Add your votes to the "Option to show Kilojoules in Dashboard and all apps" post to raise the awareness of this feature. Use the fitbot search bar to find the discussion.

Whozdatgirl
Jogger

LOL to dssims and your comment, "... does Fitbit think that only Americans matter?".
Well, the rest of the world asks this question regularly but America seems puzzled thinking "What? Are there other countries that are different to us?" America is an inward looking culture and knows very little about other cultures. It is up to us to educate them.

Yes, I too am an Australian who is perplexed as to why the FitBit app has options for metric measurements but calories and kilojoules is not listed an option. Such a simple mathematical equation to work it out (that computers and apps are the best at performing). This addition to dashboard options should be an immediate addition.
C'mon people! Let's get voting.
I wish I could vote for this 400 times and have it at the top of the list. 

Moderator edit: format

spudster
First Steps

+1 - c'mon guys! It's just a button on your settings page. It is weird you have some metric options but not this. 

Status changed to: Duplicate
AmritaFitbit
Premium User
Progression Runner

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.