Turn Off Step Counting While Sleeping

Hello, so while I'm sleeping it counts the steps (movements) I make while I'm sleeping. This will give me a wrong result at the and of the day. I'm not talking about 50 steps but 320 steps or even more. Would it be possible to set a timer that my Charge 3 won't count the steps between a time I can set. As a example between 23:00 - 07:00 no step counting.

Greetings Ralph

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject and updated label

23 Comments
Hpt
First Steps

Fitbit Versa

1,Create an update where we can : Tap three fast times on the screen (watch),Step counter: Paused                                                           Tap three fast times on the screen (watch), step counter : Starts

2, Make a App to have in Watch to turn on / off  Step counting. 

Regards Petter

adguy
Jogger

Yes!

A simple "pause tracking" option could be used instead of "driving mode". You could just pause counting, drive, then turn it back on. If it could have a reminder that tracking is off when it detects you're walking, that would be perfect, but at least if you could pause tracking and turn it back on it would solve a lot of miscalculated activity dilemmas.

Status changed to: Needs More Info
SantiR
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Hpt! Thanks for participating in Feature Suggestions. We can see that you have shared lots of ideas here but we ask that you only post one idea per Feature Suggestion. That way we can keep this boards organized and searchable, in addition to clearly understanding which idea other members are voting for. Please repost your ideas as individual Feature Suggestions by clicking ‘Add New Suggestion’. Your original post has been changed to an ‘Archived’ status and will be removed shortly.

Annabwalking
First Steps

I talk with my hands and noticed I was inflating my step count on my Versa, it would be nice if I could pause the step feature, perhaps there could be an app for that. 

Moderator edit: Updated subject for clarity.

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hello @Annabwalking! This is a very nice suggestion, thanks for sharing. Keen to hear what others think?

Mistacious
Jogger

I agree. I am a cashier and am graded on my speed and accuracy of scanning which makes for a bunch of flying arm movements all day. I am not moving my feet as much as my hands and it would be nice to have it not count those to get a more accurate idea of my steps. 

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Hpt, thanks for sharing those suggestions. I've merged your suggestion with one that talks about having an option to pause step counting. 

Thanks for participating.

DaveS3
Runner

let us turn off step measurement during spin. I already logged / tracked my spin as an activity and didn't take these as steps. I know that I got my exercise for the day and don't need to inflate my step count to reach the daily goal. I would like my step count to show only my steps .. otherwise, it's really just double counting. I know others want the double count so please let us decide in preferences.

Thorsteenster
Recovery Runner

There's an app called DriveBit you can use, turn on pre-spin and turn off after and it'll remove the steps from Fitbit in that time span. I found it when I was riding a motorcycle, I'd rack up 5k steps in a 20 minute ride.

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @DaveS3 and commentors! That’s an interesting idea and could be useful, thanks for sharing this suggestion.

Relph84
Stepping Up
@Relph84 wrote:

This will give me a wrong result at the and of the day.

"This will give me a wrong result at the end of the day"

MarcelBK
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Nice suggestion, thanks for sharing. We look forward to hearing what other community members think about thew option to turn off the step counting while Sleeping.

Angie16
Recovery Runner
So, this is the same type of feature we have been asking for since 2014.....https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Suggestions/Add-quot-Driving-Mode-quot-Feature-to-avoid-erro.... I always meet my step goal because I rock in my chair
nicoladebari
Jogger

Why not have automatically stop tracking steps when your asleep. Hate how it gives me wrong step counts. 

LauraHatch
Jogger

Simple.

The Charge 3 comes with a Sleep tracking capability, so it clearly knows when you are sleeping and when you're awake (maybe it is even making a list and checking it twice?)

So .. when the device detects that you are "asleep" can it also disable "Step" tracking?

This should remove all of those annoying mornings when I wake up to find I managed "150 steps" while lying in my bed all night. 

AlexandraFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

That’s an interesting idea and could be useful, thanks for sharing this suggestion @LauraHatch! hope it will get many votes. Robot Happy

OmuGuy
Recovery Runner

@LauraHatch wrote:

So .. when the device detects that you are "asleep" can it also disable "Step" tracking?

I don't find this so annoying.
When I have to get up and go downstairs to answer the call of nature, I don't mind seeing two stair climbs and 136 steps in the morning.
For me, during actual sleep, the Charge 3 does not seem to add many steps.

Rohin
First Steps

The Charge 3 counts hand movements as steps, even when you're for sure in place where you are not moving. You can add a feature where the steps counter can be turned off when a person is sitting or lying down. As counting steps is one of the main aspects people see in the device, the feature can be made quick by having it be turned on by holding down the button on the side, or just having it one swipe away below exercise. I really think this will be appreciated by the majority of the consumers, as steps miscount is a recurring complain I have heard.

Hi! I’m having a bug where I’m getting steps recorded while I’m asleep. 

BUT there is a way to tackle this!

Simply add an option in the app settings for a START TRACKING NOW button in the app. You could also include an option to toggle tracking on and off rather than just a start button.

I think that this would be a great feature because it would stop the false steps being recorded while you are in bed and would be a great option for people who keep their phones by their bed at night. It’s a much better way of negating steps without filling your exercise log with “driving” while actually you were sleeping.

Please vote! This could help a lot of people and make fitbit much more accurate.

LuciaFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @ElliottHill143, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us. This feature suggestion already exists so I’ve moved your post here. Don't forget to add your vote!

csparks
First Steps

I got the Inspure HR as a gift and noticed basic integrations are not included. Since there is auto detection of sleep, step counting and all exercise modes should be off...automatically. Also if you're going to detect biking, for example, then don't count steps. Not rocket science. For driving, if my gps has me moving but no increase in heart rate, then I'm not walking so don't count steps. This one may be harder to do but doable. These basic integrations will improve the product immensely and help grow your customers. I'm new to fitness trackers and surprised that this kind of basic disconnect exists.

RogerYates222
Recovery Runner
My inspire 2 counts steps even when I am asleep....according to my wife I don't sleep walk. So.... I know you can fix this issue. I hope that you will.
All that really needs to be done is for fitbit to allow the customers to delete activities we know are not accurate. It's frustrating to have this issue.
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @RogerYates222, thanks for sharing this suggestion about turning of the step count on your Inspire 2 while sleeping with us. This idea was already requested in the Feature Suggestions board, so I’ve moved your post here. This will help us to make sure the suggestions don't get confused, or split a popular vote. Please click on the thumbs-up to show your support.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.