Permanent heart rate display during workout

As a workout enthusiast I would like to view my heart rate on my Charge HR throughout my workout without having to hit the side button.  I would like to see an option that can be set to "keep display on during workouts".

Moderator edit: Updated title for clarity and labels.

444 Comments
rialluty
Jogger

Totally agree, if this could be added in a software update the charge HR would be just about perfect.

rialluty
Jogger

I agree with all the comments above, this needs to be added

jarodh
First Steps

I agree there should be some setting that should allow the HR display to stay on.  If I'm using this device to monitor during an exercise, I'd like to see what my HR is at any given time, without pressing the button.  Especially if I'm trying to keep a consistant HR, I'd like to just glance and see where I'm at.

MeFriese
First Steps

I absolutely agree!  In fact I thought that would have been an automatic option that you could turn on or off in the settings.  After all, I am hoping to replace my polar watch and chest band with my fitbit.  I understand that it would be a drain on battery life, however, if people can choose to turn it on or off during exercise/activity mode, it's worth it for those who need to focus on keeping their heart rates in a specific range.

Sencybil
First Steps

Yes, Yes, Yes.

And the option to display on mobile app.  I can easily have my phone visible when on cardio equipment at the gym.  The dashboard can control music - but why would I want to display the dashboard, its not telling me anything useful in real time?

I'm really disappinted I can't do this.

Sencybil x

asrose
First Steps

Great idea that I had previously mentioned to the support team. Also, a screen for % battery remaining would be important since the battery life would undoubtedly be adversely impacted.

Renee50
Jogger

I too would like to see the heart rate continuously during exercise. 

labtec
Keeping Pace

I would like this option also.

Schuess
Jogger

How about a workout page that shows heart rate that is in a font large enough to read during a workout and a HR Zone graph that can also be read while working out, similar to Digifit.

Or get with Digifit to make the Charge HR a supported device on their app.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Yes.

As MeFriese wrote, set a threshold value where HR displays automatically, continuously, then no special taps or buttons are needed, just a preset value from the Dashboard.

Custom zones/more zones, and vibrate on zone change as options.  Helps to stay in a desired zone.  3 rapid pulses when crossing down, 1 long pulse when crossing up or something similar.

bob88
Stepping Up

Just like people would not want to press a button or tap twice to read the speedometer while driving in their car some people do not want to have to do this to read their heart rate during a workout. The hardware is capable, and the firmware should be able to include this feature. It is understandable that this may cause the battery life to decrease, but the choice should be left to the user.

Please consider this feature!

Bjustis22
Runner
They should be able to add easy because the Surge I have does that and it's awesome
JJFlash
Jogger

I got my fitbit Charge HR yesterday and took it to the treadmill immediately.  I entered the exercise mode, started walking, and waited and waited for the heartbeat to show up. Hmm, maybe I have to start running to kick my heartbeat up I ponder. So I start running. The fitbit is still blankly looking up at me. Maybe run faster? Nothing - still the blank stare. Does it not know that my heart rate has to be 145 or more, I ask myself. Run faster? 🙂 Nahh, somethings got to be wrong! So I start messing with the button on the side, and low and behold -- it does know my heart is beating! I'm alive. But wait - a few seconds later - poof! - the screen is blank again?  Why? Press the button - I can see it again! Then a few seconds later - disappointment! - My fitbit had chosen to be uncooperative! Got to be a way to make the heart rate display all of the time. To the forums I go to learn. Nope. No way. You got to be kidding me? Can't display my heartrate constantly on the device - especially when I've entered exercise mode? Really?

This is a must have fitbit. Come on!

PS - Do you need any extra software engineers? 🙂

Hakamisu
Stepping Up
I was just saying this on a reddit thread.
Kit-Kit
Recovery Runner
I commented about this today and just discovered this feature request page. Glad to know someone else feels the same way. This would be a awesome feature to have.
Kit-Kit
Recovery Runner
I would love it if the hr could be turned on when turning on workout mode and off when not in it. Just generally more flexibility with the hr options and this could possibly improve battery life.
SpedAngie
Base Runner

That sounds like a really great idea.  I do get tired of having to keep pushing the button when I'm working really hard to see if I need to push a little more to get my HR into the zone I want it to be.  A way to keep the display on for those periods would make a great device just a little more "great"!

DanielRay
Jogger

I agree to be able to leave the screen on at all times even with ashorter battery life would be a great feature.  i.e. clock at rest or HR during exercise.  Especially HR since it's sometimes tough to tap when really exercising at maximium capacity. 

loveshelly
Jogger

I also would like the display to stay on. Kind of hard to press the button in the middle of a plank to see the stopwatch.

@aflaher wrote:

I would like to keep my Heart rate on display during my entire workout.  I want to be able to look down at it while exercising and not have to constantly be pushing the button or touching the display in order to see it.

arreis
Base Runner

Agree!

PerB
Stepping Up

+1 from me as well, primarily to keep track of time when doing short excercies like the plank where I decide for how long I will do it (for example 2 minutes sharp) in advance instead of doing it "as long as I can".

As I have just started testing using the Charge HR for tracking excerices I'm not sure if it logs these short 1 or 2 minute excercises: is there a lower limit for a workout?

I guess it also would be cool if you could set it to switch between heart rate and time during an excercise.

Overall I love my Charge HR though! 🙂 

FlashP74
Base Runner
No brainer, it needs to accessible when training otherwise it is pointless. No use looking afterwards and finding out you weren't even in cardiac zone.
DJH1
Jogger
This is essentially same idea as I posted on January 10th under "Function to allow Charge HR to Display HR full-time on during a workout" comments and votes should be combined so it raises this to a higher priority.
tuttj0
First Steps

Yes, I would also like the heart rate to be continuously displayed, perhaps as a feature during exercise mode. This could be a feature that could be turned on/off in the dashboard or app, for those who would rather conserve battery life. Also, perhaps it could continuously scroll through variables of the user's choosing. For instance, some people also like to see the stopwatch during a workout (eg running a 1 minute sprint).

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
DerrickS
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi everybody, thanks for posting your feedback about displaying heart rate on the Charge HR while working out. I have forwarded your feedback on to the appropriate channel.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.