Provide option to turn off the new "Sleep Stages"

I know the "sleep stages" update is new and not available to everyone yet, but as a Charge 2 user I wish I had the option to revert back to the old way it recorded my sleeping! The new sleep stages feature is way more sensitive than the old way of recording sleep, and it makes me feel like I got no sleep when I'm actually just a restless sleeper. I appreciate that it records when I wake up or am restless - but I don't want to know exactly how long I was in "light, deep, or REM" sleep and would love for a way to turn this off and back to the simple "awake - asleep - restless" options that it previously used. 

54 Comments
Kazar12
Recovery Runner

I have recently purchased the Fitbit One after extensive research and deciding it was the best on the market in the price range.

I was particularly impressed with the features in the sleep function. In particular, the real time information that appeared when looking in detail at the awake/restless graph. This is very useful to me in analyzing my disrupted sleep. I'm very disappointed to find out that this feature has recently been withdrawn.

I believe your policy is to constantly improve your product. I fail to see how taking this away achieves this. Please bring it back. It is an excellent feature!

Sona
Recovery Runner

Hello,

My fitbit application has just updated to version 2.45 and now I can not see detailed information about sleeping hours. I used to click on the image of sleep pattern and there were detailed information - hours and minutes of time awake, restless etc. But now it is not possible to click on the pattern.

Thanks in advance.

Mara84
Base Runner

I find the sleep stages is a cool feature to have if only it was really accurate.

I have the Charge 2 and ever since the sleep stages were rolled out, my total sleep time doesn't correspond to how I'm really feeling when I get up, as it doesn't seem to track properly the time when I was really awake or restless, for example.

I know a lot of people were waiting for this feature for ages and some others even bought the trackers on purpose just for it. However, even tho I might be the only one, some of us prefer the way it used to track sleep before the stages were rolled out, as in my case it seemed to be more accurate.

Therefore, would it be possible to make the sleep stages optional so those of us who aren't that happy with them can go back to the previous tracking display? I'm even trying to sleep in a way that I will see my sleep pattern displayed in my app the next morning and not the sleep stages!

It is a nice feature to have, don't get me wrong, but it would be much nicer if you had made it optional in the first place for those of us who were already happy just with the sleep pattern.

RickS_Canada
Recovery Runner

The new sleep report and functionality was forced onto the Fibit user last week.  As a large number of us do not find the new format useful to us, why not allow us to choice which format and type of data is displayed, in particular the old sleep efficiency calculation.  This would appear to be the best of both worlds and would help keep a large segment of your customer base still happy with their Fitbit products. 

jadestar
Premium User
First Steps

The chart showing your sleep has changed recently and it no longer gives you all the information that it used to.  I have asthma and the old chart showed what times I was restless or awake.  This new chart is not only huge but gives no timeframe at all so you're left to wonder.  I also now have to log in every single day to see the chart.  Please change it back or add in the old functionality.

Ninety-two
First Steps

Wholeheartedly agree with Jadestar that old chart should be returned to use!

lizvocal
Strider

I had a chat with CS yesterday, just to complain about the change to the sleep log.  Basically, CS said they plan to put back the old data, but there is no timeline for when this will happen. 

As far as I am concerned, this might be the end of the Fitbit road for me.  The HR monitor is inaccurate during heavy exercise, the stairs don't register when I am carrying something or need to use a hand rail, and I have basically given up fussing about these problems.  The new versions are still using the same HR technology, so even upgrading won't fix that problem.  Now this.

I have chronic insomnia, and need the data given by the sleep tracker to determine what interferes with my sleep.  Looking at the colors on the graph does not give me the data I need - when I was awake and for how long.  If Fitbit doesn't fix this soon, I will look for a better sleep tracker.  My Charge HR is over a year old and starting to separate from the band.  It will be time to make a decision soon.

lizvocal
Strider

CS is saying this won't happen, but it can't hurt to ask again.

zodybee
Hill Runner

My suggestion is to restore the sleep log as before. Many more users than you can imagine purchased the Fitbit One specifically for the superior sleep monitoring that it had. In fact, I did after reading that Consumer Reports rated it number one for sleep monitoring in 2013. That was the sole reason for my purchase and a sleep log spreadsheet has been maintained since then so that I can simply print it out for my doctor to review.

In view of the above, my number one suggestion would be to have the old sleep log graph, complete with the option to toggle between normal and sensitive sleep graphs so that a happy medium can be derived. It was the BEST sleep monitor and I know hundreds, make that thousands of other Fitbit users will agree with me

Moderator edit: Labels

JEH1
Tempo Runner

I agree wholeheartedly.

sunshine2020
Keeping Pace

The new sleep log is terrible.  PLEASE restore the old one or give us a choice.  THANK YOU

zodybee
Hill Runner

Third night - no Fitbit One sleep log. I'm very upset. There's no point wearing it to sleep if I'm not going to get the data I need without choosing either normal or sensitive. I use BOTH readings in my spreadsheet in order to determine the average. Please bring back that for which I bought the Fitbit One in the first place.

helenpirate
First Steps

I have the Fitbit one and was using the sleep data charts for medical discussions on a sleep issue I have.

Please can I revert to the original detailed pattern chart? 

The new one may suit some people but it would be great if this change was optional.

Have I now lost all my previous data?

Martin_F
Recovery Runner

Another vote here.  It's usually the first feature I check, or used to check, on the dashboard.  Please bring back the sleep log showing periods of restlessness and wakefulness.

JEH1
Tempo Runner
Thanks. I am hoping that Matthew unlocks the forum to say...IT'S BACK!!!

Sent from my iPhone
Racer55
Recovery Runner

And here is a response from a moderator:

MatthewFitbit
MatthewFitbit Moderator Moderator
‎03-28-17 12:23
Status changed to: Declined
We aren't planning to revert this change, but we welcome your feedback in this thread. I'm going to go ahead and close this suggestion so that we can keep the conversation organized in one place.

So, this tells me Fitbit doesn't give a sh....hrmmm, care what the consumer/user wants. Fitbit has lost customers over this. I will not support a company that has this attitude, we will do what we want, and you don't matter. I am done with them.

JEH1
Tempo Runner
This moderator response doesn't bode well for those of us wanting the
efficiency and times back. Since they won't bring back the wheel
it sure would be nice if they would re-invent it.
Racer55
Recovery Runner

The "upgrade" is useless. You took a perfectly good function and made it useless. Why? Can someone give us the rationale for this?  Most companies want to have/make their customers happy. Guess that isn't the case at Fitbit. 

So disappointed, canceled my new Fitbit. 

Deidra01
First Steps

I wish the Blaze would allow you to see your sleep pattern instead of the sleep stages!

Billtech66
Recovery Runner

Problems with latest fitbit update on both the web on a PC or Mac, and on Android. no longer shows time of events when mousing over sleep log. this is a very important feature that was somehow completely missing for a while then messed up: times do show up but don't correspond to where the mouse is (it will show time somewhat NEAR where the mouse is, however, the same time keeps showing up as mouse is moved to the right or left. and is NEVER close to the actual time. They don't seem to show up at any vertical line. It's now Just PLAIN MESSED UP!) I do not understand why! :what have you done???

Billtech66
Recovery Runner

Just now tried on PC, and now the time line shows up but the time of events fails to show up at all. Mousing over shows NOTHING.

SarahBunyard
First Steps

Can we please have a button to choose the view of our sleep.

either choose the awake and restless times

or The R.E.M., light and deep sleeps.

i prefer the restless and awake times to monitor my thyroid condition.

kjwg
Jogger

I agree with this idea too.  I have the fitbit Blaze and have just noticed the new sleep stages.  I find it very inaccurate.  I have trouble sleeping and know I get an average of 4 hours a night.  However, the sleep stages has me with over 6 hours last night, and has recorded me in "light sleep" when I know I was actually awake, I even got up to the bathroom and it has still recorded me in light sleep.  I would like to be able to switch back to the previous version, as this data is useless to me. 

Zoop
Jogger

Please, revert to the simple version of sleep tracking where I can see my percentage of sleep, and where I can jump to another feature without having to go back to the dashboard first.  I was on the verge of updating my tracker and then you changed the sleep feature. Now I'm not sure I even want to stay with Fitbit since I am no long able to easily determine my sleep percentage. Does anyone at Fitbit read the community posts?

DDLyon
Recovery Runner

It is sad I have to agree to your terms and conditions when  you no long support the terms and conditions under which I bought my Charge HR.... which is no longer even listed on your site. The one I have on is less than a year old. No notification nothing but it is gone and the ads for the replacement are fast and furious.

We have asked nicely to have the sleep function returned to what it was. The graph is not accurate and often doesn't pick up all of my sleep. If I need to get up for some reason it figures I am done with sleep yet I can come back and sleep for a couple hours and it does not consistently pick it up.

Sadly my time using a fitbit appears to be ending as the band is separating from the unit again.  Considering I am careful to make sure it doesn't get wet and I keep the underside clean it is ironic that the top is where it is separating.

For the time I have left using this unit please return the sleep function tto what I bought.  I bought this for 2 things keeping track of heart rate which you changed. and the other reason was for sleep...and you've changed this also. WHY??? Haven't you heard of if it ain't broke don't fix it? Think about it this way. You go to get in your car and the company has randomly changed the features, no explanation they just did it. The changes made make using your car more difficult.....and they refuse to listen when you say I don 't want this change.....would you be upset?  I'm sure you would.  So then they say no problem just buy a new one....but you can't because you live on a fixed income....the company says oh well....... That is what you have done to me.

I will ask again please change the sleep function back to what was working. If I want to use the graph I could just look at the one on the side of my computer screen.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.