Restless should not be considered “awake”

There is a difference between being “restless” and being “awake”.It used to show the difference. Now it is all called “awake”! That I s not accurate and gives a false impression of your sleep. It will show you were “awake” for an hour of your bedtime when you were actually awake 17 minutes!

you need to put that back into your program!

Moderator edit: Subject for clarity and labels.

24 Comments
dnvigerjr
Jogger

Restless should be differentiated from being “awake” it is not the same! You had that originally, then just started calling both as “awake”. It gives a false impression of your bedtime status. It now says 70 min awake when your actuL awake time was only 29 min. The rest was unconscious restlessness!

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @dnvigerjr, thanks for sharing this information, a lot of people will like this option. Let's wait to see how many votes it gets.

Norakubaz
First Steps

I totally agree... I struggle to get 5 hours sleep when I know I've had more... just restlessness.

tnhawkins
First Steps

I completely agree with this. There needs to be a difference between restless and awake. I do not wake up often in the middle of the night, and if I do, it's for maybe a couple minutes. Last night, it said I was awake for 11 minutes. Impossible, as I do not even remember waking up at all last night.

bluru206
Jogger

I also agree.  I don't like the fact that awake/restless is automatically subtracted from the sleep time (I find myself adding those minutes back to the 'time asleep' to get what I feel is my "real" sleep time).  And I also agree with people who say that 'awake' and 'restless' are not the same thing.

Could it be a Settings option to choose to have restless and/or awake time subtracted from Time Asleep?

scottdgibbard
Jogger

I agree. They are different and shouldn't be put under one catergory.

alflock
First Steps

YES. Sleep stages is wildly inaccurate because of this lumping. I used to get 7-8 hours of sleep according to FitBit, but now with sleep stages, I struggle to get 7 because it says I'm awake for over an hour. 

pwolchak
Base Runner

More clarity on this would be beneficial.

kjhansolo
First Steps

I usually go to bed at a time that gives me 8 hours in bed. My sleep goal is set to 7 hours and 15 minutes. I pretty much never hit my goal because I have so much "awake" time recorded, the average usually being an hour/hour 15 mins. Well I'm never going to get in bed 9.5 hours before I wake up, I just don't have time. And I also have zero recollection of this "awake" time in the night, in my mind I literally never wake up once I fall asleep, though I do have a hard time getting to sleep a lot of the time. I think that the categorization of "awake" should only apply if you are awake for more than say, 4/5 minutes. There should be another category for "restless" or something because I am only hitting my goal like once a week and as someone who finds it hard to get to sleep, it's disheartening!

Moderator edit: labels.

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hey @kjhansolo! Nice suggestion, thanks for sharing. We look forward to hearing what other community members think. You can also find some excellent tips to a good nights sleep in our blog.

kbarker
Jogger

I agree. It definitely seems overly sensitive on awake time.

KateChesterPark
First Steps

I completely agree. My Fitbit logs an hour plus of restless/awake time every night and although I wake up here and there, I’m definitely not up for an hour nightly. Lumping then together isn’t accurate. Please fix. 

loevestein
Recovery Runner

I totally agree. I am awake for more than an hour every night and that is certainly not the case. Please change it.

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @kjhansolo! Great suggestion, thanks for sharing.  I've moved it into a similar suggestion. Hopefully we will have support from other users since more votes and comments an idea has the more visibility and momentum it gains.

dnvigerjr
Jogger
I so agree! Awake is reading a book, watching TV! Just sleeping restlessly is still sleeping! Why doesn't Fitbit listen?!!!

Sent from my iPhone
JennieMae
Stepping Up

For the original poster - is your restless time being reported as the pink-red color for awake? Or are you getting dark blue, light blue, and red? If you're only getting alseep or awake, maybe there's an issue with your tracker? If you're commenting on the lumping of the Sleep Quality summary, then I guess that's just a preference thing.

For my own experience, I still get the mix of dark blue (asleep), light blue (restless), and red (awake) using my Fitbit One. I'm a very light sleeper, and it seems like all of the light blue lines match up with times where I was conscious, looking at the clock, staring at the ceiling, listening to snoring, etc. For me, the "restless" times not counting against my true sleep time is accurate, since I'm fairly sure I wasn't truly asleep during most of those moments.

Maybe instead of outright counting restless sleep as sleep - give us the option? When setting up sleep tracking, maybe it could ask "Do you want to count restless sleep toward your sleep goal?"

Tim1023
Jogger

I have the opposite problem, namely Fitbit thinks I'm asleep when I'm up and reading in another room.

Also, the time I'm in bed and not moving, but definitely awake, is registered as sleep. I can see that this difference would be difficult for a wrist-based monitor to differentiate.

As such, if developed, this feature should be an option set by the user.

Looking at comments on this and other suggestions, there seems to be a split between good sleepers and bad sleepers who have different needs. Perhaps there should be a setting within the app so that it makes different assumptions.

VCDA
First Steps

Hello! Is there any way that we can have the option to not have the Fitbit automatically take out the time we are awake at night. It's so discouraging to see the time I am up at night...so I don't wear it at night at all anymore. But I love the features of deep sleep etc...i just need options. I just want to record going to sleep and waking up. Thanks!!

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @VCDA, this is a good idea. Thanks for sharing your feedback. I've moved it into a similar request.  A lot of users are asking for this option, I hope we receive updates soon.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I’d greatly appreciate an option in the settings to include my restless time in my total sleep time so that I know how long I slept each day. 

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @SunsetRunner, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to see restless time on the sleep stats. Thanks for sharing your feedback. I've moved it into a similar request.  A lot of users are asking for this option, I hope we receive updates soon.

jsk_soft_eng
First Steps
The simplified sleep report shows separate awake and restless counts.

The original sleep report (as I know it) also showed separate awake and restless counts.

The current website report shows a combined total of awake and restless counts.

The W10 app has lost even that combined total.

The current 'improved' report should restore these features.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @jsk_soft_eng, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to separate restless from awake stats. I've moved it into a similar request. I think that a lot of users would like to have this option on their Fitbit devices.You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs.

Please try to make sure you only post one idea per suggestion, so we can keep the board organized, easily searchable, and see which idea other members are voting for. You can repost your other ideas as individual Feature Suggestions by clicking ‘Add New Suggestion’. Thanks for participating in Feature Suggestions.

kdwoolfe
Jogger

This is related but not exactly the same sleep display issue. (On my Flex 2 with Android app ver. 3.43.1)

The daily graph shows 3 patterns: asleep (dark blue), restless (light blue bars) and awake (pink/red color). In the enlarged graph, there is a number of hrs/min. related to that type of sleep at the top next to each color dot legend. However, the number next to the Awake dot is actually the combination of restless and awake, not solely awake time even though the legend dot is pink. You would think that number would be awake only as indicated by the color of the graph bars and the legend dot. There is nowhere to see the actual awake time without doing some contorted calculations (going back to the overview with the text summary of sleep quality and subtracting restless time from the combined awake/restless number). The summary page is OK (but not ideal). It should have 4 lines - times awake, restless, AWAKE (not currently indicated), and then maybe the combination of restless and awake to give an indication of overall sleep quality.

At the least, the graph should have awake time mean actual awake time as indicated by the color and name label. 

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.