Stroller Mode

Many fitbit users push strollers and face the issue of steps not being tracked while pushing a stroller. What if fitbit created a stroller mode, which used a different step-tracking algorithm designed to mimic arm movements while pushing strollers or carts? If possible it can also detect steps with the current algorithm as well. This improved algorithm will be able to track the subtle up and down movement of the watch while pushing a stroller. 

This may require a lot of research, but if it isn't too difficult to adjust the step tracking algorithm, this could definitely be a possibility. 

Moderator Edit: Updated title for clarity & labels.

169 Comments
Brown-eyedG2
Tempo Runner
This bugs me and I'm sure other people: when will you please make changes to include steps or activity while using both hands pushing a heavy shopping cart or baby carriage, carrying bundles or laundry -- even bike riding! etc.? I'm on my second Flex and although I love it.. We can improve on waterproofing the thing too 🙂
JessicaG14
First Steps

It would be nice to have a setting on the Free Run if you run with a stroller.  I have two kids and run with them 50% of the time.  The jogging stroller weighs 52 lbs, and they weigh 55 lbs together.  So, the calories burned running with a jogging stroller and kids is significantly different than running solo.  Is this a feature you could develop?

Valkira
Recovery Runner

It would be nice if Fitbit counted steps while pushing shopping carts, strollers, wheelchairs etc. Things that you push with both hands and therefore do NOT currently count..  I do a lot of pushing things around with both hands and it would be great if those steps could count.

sweetie0618
Recovery Runner
When I push a stroller/wheelchair/grocery cart, I put it in my pocket or in my belt loop for more accurate steps.
fudge22
Tempo Runner

I whole-heartedly believe that a wrist watch should be worn on your wrist. Besides, if I am going out for a run with my jogging stroller I want to have the heart rate monitor up and running for the duration of the run and easily accessible. 

mhourani
First Steps

The same setting could be applied when running/walking on the treadmill with high incline, as you would need to hold on to the bar, which means that Fitbit does not capture the steps.

stealthpete
Recovery Runner

This is also a problem if it's raining when I walk and I have to hold an umbrella (can't do the whole route with it in just the non-Fitbit hand), or if my hands get cold and I want to put them in my vest pockets (yes, I understand the concept of "gloves" but don't always think that far ahead). On a related note, I have found on a couple of occasions that when I'm attending an awards dinner, I log hundreds of illicit steps while applauding!

craigurquhart85
First Steps
I agree. I regularly go out for a walk with my son in his buggy and don't get accurate steps counted.
Csmith7613
Jogger
I completely agree. I just got my fitbit surge before I went on vacation and didn't realize it wasn't going to work with a stroller until I spent an entire day at SeaWorld and only was at 7k steps...so below average for how many steps I had taken in my first day with my watch. I was very disappointed when I realized this!!! 50% of my half marathon training is going to be with my kids in a double jogger. I hope that an update fixes this!
Mikegillett
Runner
So, I just got a surge, but my charge hr would count my steps with pushing a stroller. It would sense it as either an elliptical or a bike.

A stroller feature should be included for all models of fitbits.

In the mean time, and I know this may be inconvenient, I push my stroller with one hand and do my normal swing with the other.
Silvercode
Recovery Runner

This would be a really handy change, but I expect it is a fundamental shift in how the FitBit works. It does get some steps from your up and down motion, but even that is moderated when pushing a wheelchair or stroller.

I think the wheelchair mode would be a great feature to sell for family with disabled people.

On the bright side, if FitBit doesn't add this feature in, I'm sure someone will make an app for it that uses their data collected or data from their phone.

Starrkya
Jogger
They should just redesign the whole product line to work with any form of exercise. I'm reading a lot of these idea posts, and wondering how accurate my calories burned numbers are, considering when I first got my Fitbit I would've mostly been doing things where there's a lot of physical exertion, and minimal arm movement.

Also, I'm really not sure that Flex, at least, counts stairs properly. There's been a few times that I've spent a day going up and down staircases, and the step count seems low.
AndyGul
Jogger
I'd also like to agree and show my vote for this. All the good ideas have been said, so rather than ranting here, I'll just agree with the above.
Hippo_Rugby
First Steps
We spend most of our time when out pushing our daughter in her wheelchair. So sort of stroller / wheelchair mode would be great, or allow the phone app the ability to log missing steps. A "light" GPS mode like the walk app could work as well.
Neefer
Keeping Pace

How about a bluetooth-enabled add-on device that can go on / in your shoe, for augmented data collection? 

When I go out walking with others, I often find myself using my hands while talking, or otherwise not swinging my arms-- presumably thus robbing myself of step-count.  

Or when going up a steep hill -- I'm not necessairly going any faster, but I am working harder and I bend my arms at the elbow to help with the uphill effort, making mwrist-swinging-distance less than half the length it is when my arms are just swinging at my side for regular walking.

Again -- presumably thus robbing me of step-count.

Humin
Jogger

I routinely have to do the shopping for the household which usually means I am walking around a large store pushing a shopping cart. I've noticed that my step count doesn't go up very much no matter how many times I've walked across the warehouse or grocery store looking for things. I also do the shopping for my grandmother and then go do my household's list so I end up spending a large portion of the day pushing a cart or carrying bags into the house in both arms and once again steps aren't counted correctly. I love the fit bit but would really appreciate this feature to be added as this is how I do a lot of my walking.

bookworm1096
Jogger

This is a great suggestion! I have spent the last 6 weeks using crutches, and I have noticed that my Fitbit doesn't always track my steps accurately. My mother and I have the same stride length, and even when we walk the same distance, we'll end up with vastly different step counts sometimes. I've also noticed that it counts my exercise as sport instead of walking. An update for pushing carts and strollers or using crutches could definitely come in handy.

Mohare2288
First Steps
I see this when I push a cart at the grocery store. It's very frustrating and those things are nearly impossible to push with one hand. Although I keep trying. I am in a competition everyday! I need every step I take to count!
Neefer
Keeping Pace

Did anyone see the recent Father's Day TV commercial by Fitbit? It showed "dad" out getting his exercise by... pushing a stroller. Yeah, too bad he can't actually TRACK that activity they went to all that trouble to depict. *eye roll* 

Karatemummy
Stepping Up
Please please try and do this, I spend most of my active time pushing a buggy around and am always forgetting to put my fitbit in my pocket (I worry that I will lose it when I do to). It's so frustrating at the end of the day to realise you have lost almost half of your daily steps, plus it's so much harder pushing a buggy then walking alone. Fitbit doesn't even count it as active minutes when wearing it on your wrist and pushing the buggy. Thanks 🙂
Cinderella4000
First Steps

no one seems to mind that activity using only your arms counts as steps. I get steps by standing still and putting away the dishes. 

Karatemummy
Stepping Up
I look at it that whilst cleaning etc you are still burning some calories (sometimes more than walking depending what you are doing), when pushing a buggy it's harder work then walking normally yet you get half the amount of steps and less calories burnt. I guess it depends how you use it, I use it to monitor calorie input/output so it makes a difference to me.
Valkira
Recovery Runner

It's true that you do get extra "Step Counts" when putting away dishes or clothes.. but... I spend the majority of my day carrying wood, cement, moving kilns, lugging things with both hands, my heartrate may be in the 110-160 range for sustained periods, while I am getting no "Steps" counted.  (That can be a bit frustrating.)  But overall I am still very happy to have my Fitbit HR help keep me on point, especially on my downtime days. (When I just want to SIT.):catvery-happy:

Csmith7613
Jogger
I agree with Valkira. I more often than not am carrying a baby, or toys or what not and I don't get any steps registered. The 10 or 15 "steps" that get registered don't cone close to the miles that are missed when I take my kids in the jogger for a run. No kidding...I ran 6 miles with the jogger and less than 2k steps were registered. This is why I'm more upset by the steps not counted rather than the fake steps that do get counted through out the day.
Hm2092
Jogger
Everything I push my son on a walk, it credits my exercise as indoor bike
To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.