Support Google Voice with notifications

Add Google Voice to the supported messaging apps on Android. Great to have options like Hangouts and Signal and Messaging, but would really like to have access to the app where I actually receive my SMS.

Moderator edit: Label & Title

56 Comments
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
LanuzaFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Thanks for sharing your idea with us @awgas.

Let's keep an eye on this and see what other users have to say about it.

theksmith
Jogger

Google Voice app notifications don't even show up on my Fitbit Ionic with my LG G6. Being able to have Voice as the default messaging app would be nice, but just getting notifications from the app period would be a good place to start!

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I agree. The voice app is the primary way to use your google voice number as they move away from hangouts.

Jtz
First Steps

Agree. Please add Google Voice as some of us use it as our primary way to make calls and text.  

Jaybird14
First Steps

Agreed. Google voice is my primary app for calls and text messaging and it would be nice if I could setu it up for call and text notifications.

IronRocket
First Steps

I use Google voice for calls and SMS, so really need the Fitbit app to recognize Google voice as a notification source.

Jaybird14
First Steps

Workaround for the time being f ok r those who want it: set up google voice to forward messages from your google voice number to your linked cell phone number. Messages will come in to your cell phone number and you will get notification on your fitbit with their contact name in the text scroll for the message.

acampling
Recovery Runner

Also agree, thank you for considering.

paperfairy
First Steps

As a new fitbit user and a long time Google Voice user, I would also love this!

Bwangster12
Jogger

Correct me if I'm wrong... if I forward my GV messages to Android messages, the Fitbit notifications will start to work.. but then you also have to deal with both GV notifications and Android Messages notifications appearing on your phone.  I tried disabling Android Messages notifications, but that seems to have stopped the Fitbit notifications.

acfoltzer
First Steps

Hangouts is really starting to break down as it approaches end of life, so this is becoming even more important. The only reason I haven't switched to the Google Voice app is a lack of Fitbit notifications.

RockyMtnRajah
First Steps

This is an important feature as google voice is my primary SMS app

KNH18
First Steps

Longtime Google Voice user. Using the GV app for all text and voice messages and sad to not see it as a notification option.

Cbeaumont
First Steps

Bummer fitbit hasn't paid attention.  I had it years ago with my garmin. I just got the new fitbit for christmas... I'm exchanging it for the lateat new garmin BECAUSE it is lacking this essential feature. Fitbit just isnt keeping/catching up! I have you a chance!! 😕

jenmo7
Jogger

please add an option for google voice or other text services than whatsapp/messenger to sync texts to on the Alta HR.  

Quickmd
First Steps

I agree about voice integration, Hangouts is dying. 

daynok
Recovery Runner

This would be awesome! I need this, I use Google voice for everything.

KNH18
First Steps

Effective workaround is to enable Google Voice under Notifications > App Notifications.

jackeen
Recovery Runner

Me too - Although, part of the issue may be that I am not able to make Voice as the default messaging app on my phone.

Quickmd
First Steps
Also Hangouts is on borrowed time. They are closing it over the next 9 months.

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
100bagger
Jogger

Yes! Please, please add this already! Seems this request is long overdue. Google Voice is my primary and sole SMS app. Very disappointed I can't receive notifications on my Charge 2.

BrittBott
First Steps

I wholeheartedly agree that Google Voice needs to be added as one of the messaging apps for the FitBit. Google Hangouts is verging on worthless these days, and the option of forwarding all my GV messages to my Android Messages apps would result in duplicative message notifications (which is WAY less than ideal!).

James2c19v
First Steps

I had to uninstall Hangouts because it's getting buggy as Google transitions to Voice. Using voice now. Next smart wear device will not be a Fitbit if this doesn't get supported soon.

smarthomeninja
First Steps

Definetely need google voice integration.  Would be so awesome if at some point you had data sim cards that allowed you to not be next to your phone to get texts and such.  Since google voice is easy to integrate with our phones and I have a ported number on my old phone number as well- it seems to be a good route to take at some point.

JennieMae
Stepping Up

I have the default Android text messaging program disabled on my phone, and I strictly use Google Voice. Please add support. 

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.