Ability to add custom fonts in Fitbit API

Can you please add the ability to add custom fonts in Fitbit API and increase the number of standard fonts that are supported?

2 Comments
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
MaginB
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Nice suggestion, thanks for sharing. We look forward to hearing what other community members think.

cyano_
First Steps

Seeing as that the Fitbit SDK at this time only supports 6 (strikingly similar) fonts, it seems like a glaring omission that it is still not possible to create apps and watch faces with custom fonts. Especially considering that Fitbit has apparently gone to lengths to sidestep the ability to use fixed-width text, instead opting for a hilariously terrible solution with the bytes 0x10-0x19 (which only work for digits).

I can't imagine this is due to firmware storage limitations, since the 6 (six) fonts they did decide to include in the firmware are all the same humdrum sans-serif hipster garbage, reflective of the vapid Silicon Valley design culture this watch was born from. 

I can't imagine this is due to legal or licensing issues, since excellent public-domain fixed-width and serif fonts are a dime a dozen.

At this point it's pretty difficult to imagine dropping $300 on a smartwatch with an SDK lacking any support whatsoever for fixed-width or even serif fonts, since this is a feature that was available for years on the Pebble platform that Fitbit axed. Workarounds are possible I'm sure, but they will be very painful.

The Fitbit SDK on a whole is rudimentary and limiting in comparison to Pebble's, so I'm not sure what Fitbit has done with their acquisition of Pebble if anything at all so far. I guess it's disappointing to see that Fitbit destroyed the most versatile and developer-friendly smartwatch on the market in favor of the Fisher-Price toy that is Fitbit OS. I decided to give the emulator a try before purchasing the watch itself, and I'm glad I did since, for now, the SDK is definitely a no-go.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.