Third-party App push notifications on Fitbit screen for All

I and many others have liked, posted, complained and begged Fitbit to allow/enable notifications.  This is a request to Fitbit to enable, at the choosing of the user of the Fitbit tracker (Charge, Charge HR, Alta, Charge 2, & Surge) to have what ever app notifications they want for both iPhone and Android devices display on the Fitbit tracker screen.  This idea suggestion eliminates the need for individual idea suggestions for types of phones or apps that people want to get notifications for, we want the choice to select which ones (like third-party apps such as BitTicker have done for us in the past).  I own a Charge HR, but I want this for all Fitbit trackers, not just mine.  Please give this a thumbs up and post comments on your agreement with this. (And yes, we all know you want Whatsapp part of these choices, don't complain about those of us that still use SMS).  It's about CHOICE of apps, not just Whatsapp.

A recent 10-08-2016 moderator (AndrewFitbit) post on the 'More Notifications' suggestion is what inspired me to do this as it suggests we divide up and make suggestions on each app feature and each device and each tracker.  That is counterproductive.  We need to unite!

Moderator edit: labels

359 Comments
Rickosw
Jogger

Hi Fitbit 

kindly consider this function, as the next software update!

thus Charge 2 will almost complete as a smart watch 

cheers!

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I agree, I use google messenger and Allo for personal use  and hangout for work. i would love to have them all on my charge 2.

thanks

nzhobbit
Stepping Up

So there are many other requests for Whatsapp / Email notifications for other devices but none that I can see for the Charge 2. Hence the request.

SMS messaging is completely redundant these days (well at least throughout Asia) so support for Whatsapp would be appreciated. I think the last SMS message I got was back in the 90's 😉

...And email notifications seem a no brainer too....at least just the subject line and sender.

Sim67
Stepping Up

This is the only feature I feel is missing.

geobis
Stepping Up

Yes, Whatsapp and Facebook Messenger, thank you.  

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

See the existing request for email. 

Cheftyler
First Steps

I would like to see the ability for the Charge 2 (and other devices that support notifications) to display notifications from 3rd party applications. Specifically, I would like the ability to see notifications from the Outlook for iOS app, but any other calendar apps would be beneficial as well.

I also 2nd the desire for the inclusion of options for Facebook Messenger, WhatsApp, etc...

stipsa
First Steps
It is unbelievable to say the least that only calls, calendar and sms messages notifications are available at this time for charge 2. Whatsapp, Facebook messenger and other third party app notifications should be available.
PB2301
First Steps
Is there any chance of Fitbit bringing whatsapp notifications for the Charge 2?
Philealing
Base Runner
I am about to buy my first fitness tracker and I have had to reject the Charge 2 because of the lack of this feature and go for the Garmin HR instead.
jcat30
Jogger

It's not just about the Charge 2.  Check this request out for notifications for more than Charge 2. https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Suggestions/Third-party-App-push-notifications-on-Fitbit-scr...

ilchymis
Stepping Up

I was surprised and delighted by the ability to select a non-SMS messaging app as the source of text notifications on my Android phone to display on my Charge 2:

Fitbit text notifications.png

One (seemingly) small modification that would make my tracker vastly more useful to me would be to change this selection activity to multiple-choice checkboxes, so that I might receive notifications from e.g. both Signal and WhatsApp. Thanks for your consideration!

Moderator Edit: Added Labels

mollycase
Jogger

I rarely text so text notifications are not helpful. 

I do use Facebook messenger a lot so that would be helpful. 

The Blaze is way too big for me. I don't need to be able to reply from the Charge HR 2, just seeing the notification would let me know if it's a message I need to get my phone out for or if it can wait. 

I saw there was another post about breaking up requests for notifications for the Charge, but I think the user should be able to choose. However, I did make this one if Fitbit needs to see a specific notification request. Thanks!

mollycase
Jogger
Actually it looks like this already exists. I hadn't seen it before. Under text notifications you can choose from several apps, one of which is messenger. Works just fine! 🙂

Guess they just haven't updated documentation consistently everywhere.
wendyliu68
First Steps

I have realised that only Android user have that option. Not iphone users. Is it possible to add to the iphone for the whatsapp notification into the next upgrade for Charge 2?

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

@wendyliu68 I used the search bar found above and did a quick search for What's App, this current request popped up. I would add your vote there. 

As for as if it is possible, this would be a question for the Fitbit developers and not the Fitbit users. 

Cheftyler
First Steps
My request goes further than either Email or WhatsApp.
As far as being able to choose what text message apps are included in notifications, it is not an option in the iOS app.
LordElysian
Recovery Runner

I returned my Alta because it didn't have third-party notifications. I was really excited about the Charge 2 (still am) but I won't get it until they add this important feature.

LordElysian
Recovery Runner

I returned my Alta because it didn't have third-party notifications. I was really excited about the Charge 2 (still am) but I won't get it until they add this important feature.

freeingmason
First Steps

Hi Fitbit team!

I run iOS and would love to get Slack notifications on my Fitbit. My team exclusively uses Slack and it would help immensely to get instant notification when I get a Slack direct message. I hope you can implement this soon!

Moderator edit: Labels

Charly1013
Jogger
I agree, I own a Fitbit surge and it would be fantastic , if I could get my whats app news on the surge. The calls are working but the news not.
Razor225
Jogger

2 important things i'm missing

1. Thirdparty notifications (facebook, messenger, whatsapp)

2. Email notifications

epereira
Recovery Runner

If you are on android, there an app called "Fit Notifications" that works very well to provide notifications for almost all 3rd party apps including gmail, WhatsApp, etc.

Enjoy!

Razor225
Jogger
Nevermind. Returned the fitbit and replaced it with a pebble.
Gabef
First Steps
We need what's app notifications on the Charge 2 I have a charge hr and was considering upgrading to the charge 2 but will wait till they include what's app notifications
To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.