Track Light and Deep Sleep on Charge 2

Please update the sleep tracker and move away from “Restless” vs “Asleep” to focus more on “Light” vs “Deep” sleep. From your definition of “Restless” sleep and from what my tracker says, “Restless” really seems to represent a lighter sleep. This is still sleep, and is an important part of a person’s sleep cycle (a person cannot just be in deep sleep and unmoving all night, it is necessary to cycle). I don’t quite understand why restless (or light) sleep would not count towards a person’s overall sleep. The way your tracker is currently configured seems to create some panic in blogs, because people see that they have only slept 4 of 8h, for example, and assume that they have some kind of a sleeping disorder.

It would be more helpful to know whether we have slept 7-9 hours (including light and deep sleep), and whether we get around the 30-40% deep sleep that is suggested. I think this could be an easy integration, the Fitbit already has the movement and HR data necessary to decipher between the two, at least approximatively. In other words, something to help determine the quality of sleep would be excellent and make the Fitbit the best overall wellbeing tracker. If there was a way to integrate a smart alarm to make sure wakeup is during a light sleep cycle, that would be even better!

Moderator edit: labels and updated subject for clarity.

21 Comments
JTmoney
Stepping Up

please please make the sleep display show the difference with indicators like deep and REM sleep along With light sleep and awake

RebNad
First Steps

I agree - this is one of the features I miss and that Jawbone does better. In Addition, I would love a sleep phase alarm as featured in the jawbone!

Gennarof
First Steps

I agree also and is a feature I miss so much I am thinking of looking for a different band. My wife is switching from her jawbone but must have more detail with regard to her sleep pattern because she corrolates them to the bodies repair cycles through the sleep process. 

Geecd
First Steps

I also agree - it's a faulty assumption to disallow 'restless' time if in fact that's 'light' sleep.

lindy0116
Recovery Runner

This would be fantastic since the Charge 2 is already tracking heart rate. I used the Jawbone 3 which was great at this and this detail is definitely lacking. 

Divanci
Jogger

I completely agree !! I switched from Jawbone UP2 to FitBit Charge 2. I disoceverd that Charge 2 tracks sleep, but no difference between light and deep. Hey, I'm smart enough to know when I go to bed and fall a sleep and when I wake up. So the sleep tracking on Charge 2 is useless. Please do an update for light and deep sleep tracking. That would be useful !!!

Emile35
Stepping Up

Great idea!

Secretlystephie
Recovery Runner

Agreed; I really miss this about my Jawbone! 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I couldn't agree more! I came here to request the smart wake-up but fortunately you got me covered, thats exactly what I was intended to say. I mean, Runtastic already does it by using smartphone's microphone to detect the sleep cycle! I'm pretty sure that a body tracker can do this better, right? 

Annegry
First Steps

I agree the sleep tracker need an over hall.  Consider The app sleep cycle it has some really good featured that could be included like deep sleep vs light sleep. 

A line graph vs the bar graph currently being used .

Also having a way to see how many hours in a night u where in deep sleep or light sleep would be helpful.  Currently your graph tells me how long I slept in total including the hour I was awake in the middle. Duration or each deep sleep section. 

Annegry
First Steps

I agree the sleep tracker need an over hall.  Consider The app sleep cycle it has some really good featured that could be included like deep sleep vs light sleep. 

A line graph vs the bar graph currently being use

Also having a way to see how many hours in a night u where in deep sleep or light sleep would be helpful.  Currently your graph tells me how long I slept in total including the hour I was awake in the middle. Duration or each deep sleep section. 

MCARR15
First Steps

I agree the graph needs to have more points on it so you can see when you were restless or awake. Also as a shift worker the inability to have more than one log entry per day would be helpful in tracking sleep. The sensitivity is off as well as when I check the dashboard the next day 9x out of 10 the time I went to sleep is off by greater than 1 hour minimum, once edited it just defaults to restless when I know I fell asleep much quicker then the log says

NicoRenee
Recovery Runner

I would also like to add to this the ability to add a quick note to it as well for example if I didn't get a good night's sleep WHY didn't I...  Because I eat up all night with the flu getting up every 30 minutes to use the rest room etc.. . It would be nice to be able to track the WHY for 2 weeks that I was not walking as much abs not eating as much and not meeting my goals..  the ability to add a little NOTE would be AWESOME please and  thank you!! 

judi420
First Steps

Great ideas!!

RebNad
First Steps

So just as a question to the Fitbit team, there are so many requests for a sleep cycle alarm and tracking that I think many people would love an update on where we're standing with this feature. Many thanks for a timely reply!

Chrisdovey
Jogger

Would be really great if sleep stages was offered for purchase as an app to HR customers and other fitbit users. Even if it was an approximation of the new app for Alta. 

Jeni_B
Base Runner

@ErickFitbit

This seems to have been done - but hasn't applied the sleep sensitivity setting - when I look at the web based dashboard sleep detail - it shows me restless during a time that I know I was awake, but the app's light vs deep sleep vs awake doesn't align with that at all.

web detail sleep (more accurate)web detail sleep (more accurate)new App light vs deep sleep (not applying sleep sensitivity?)new App light vs deep sleep (not applying sleep sensitivity?)

dar241
First Steps

This is a great idea!  I would love to see this feature as well!  I only have the Fitbit Flex and am disappointed that the last update discontinued my specific times for restlessness and being awake.  I would like to see them back again.  But the sleep stages graph with the REM, light, and deep stages noted, is really great!  Would LOVE to see that!

JTmoney
Stepping Up
Yes it would be great. I hope they have that in an update soon! It's too generic right now. I actually use my  UP 3 along with my Fitbit at night because I like their sleep evaluation better. C'mon Fitbit this should be a relatively easy upgrade 😎🤣😎

⁣Sent from TypeApp ​
suelv
Base Runner

I have the charge 2. Please change the sleep stages so they have the ability to track stages on less than 3 hour intervals. Some of this community including many friends of mine have all kinds of fitbits and they all track the stages for over 3 hours. I am a retired older person and like many people who are over 50 years we have more difficulty staying asleep without interruption. Apparently if the interruptions are under 10 -15 minutes, all my stages show on one line with the correct data,, but if I cannot fall back asleep for a longer period of time and each period of sleep is under 3 hours, I cannot see my different stages and each sleep period is on a separate line. 

As you see on my graph below, today the 2 cycles of sleep I had are shown in 2 separate lines without stages whereas yesterday, Friday, there are 2 separate lines and the one with 2 hours and 39 minutes actually does show stages. On Thursday I was awake in between sleep for a several periods and the stages are perfectly shown all on one line. I never sync until the final time I wake up and I also walk to my kitchen and still get a full one bar stages graph sometimes but not consistently. 

Also note the bar graph many time like today shows over 8 hours of sleep,  while the sleep cycles and stages show that I slept from 4 to 5 hours. I was told by your rep that you are working to correct the bar graph issue and it's not as pressing an issue for me.

Sleep is extremely difficult for me and I use several methods including medication to help. I would hate to over medicate because the more precise sleep stages is not available to me. Or be negatively impacted the next day in any way if you are under reporting my sleep. I feel much more comfortable the next day if I know the stages even if total hrs of sleep are 5 or more hours, but I called to complain today because 2 hrs 28 minutes was not shown in stages today yet just yesterday 2 hrs and 39 minutes was. 

Screenshot_2017-06-10-11-43-59.png

Status changed to: Released
LizFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

HI @kmorin02 Sleep stages for all Charge 2 users was implemented in March 2017. There are a few different suggestions in your post here, so I'll redirect to another couple to keep things streamlined:

If you feel as though your original feature suggestion has not been fully implemented or captured in the above threads, please feel free to post a new feature suggestion. Thanks for sharing your feedback.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.