Turn off quick view when I'm sleeping (or at customizable times) aka 'Night Mode'

I love the quick view feature however when I'm sleeping I tend to wave my arms around which activates the display which sometimes wakes me up, especially if my wrist is close to my face.

My fitbit knows when I'm sleeping as it tracks my sleep so how about having the capability to disable quick view automatically whilst I'm sleeping, in fact don't even have it as a selectable option just don't trigger quick view when my fitbit knows I'm sleeping.

Moderator Edit: Edited suggestion title.

1,420 Comments
Joisan
First Steps

Yes please!  I just bought a charge yesterday and it was annoying trying to be so careful not to blind my husband or wake him up whenever I rolled over or shifted positions or had to get up to go to the bathroom.

akillmeyer
First Steps

I definitely would like to see a do not disturb setting for this. I like the quick view during the day but the bright display can defintiely be a burden in the middle of the night. I have it turned off all the time for now, but ideally I would like to have this feature active during daylight hours

sunny16
First Steps

Yes, this! I was awakened a lot last night from turning over and having bright light in my eyes. A do-not-disturb schedule or automatic sleep schedule would be very appreciated!

CarlFisher
Recovery Runner

Was just looking to see if this feature was available and found this. The display is definitely bright enough to wake me up! Add another vote for disabling quick view, ideally just during sleep, but even during "sleep hours" would be fine.

Should still allow the double-tap display for those times when you wake up wondering what time it is...

CarlFisher
Recovery Runner

Was just looking to see if this feature was available and found this. The display is definitely bright enough to wake me up! Add another vote for disabling quick view, ideally just during sleep, but even during "sleep hours" would be fine.

Should still allow the double-tap display for those times when you wake up wondering what time it is...

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I agree, if it could not light up when I am sleeping this would be way better for me.

saxman65
Jogger

Yes, we really need a way to automatically set a nighttime mode say between 10pm and 6am...or whatever one's regular sleep hours are.  I would love it if my Fitbit automatically turned off the Quck View (EXTREMELY BRIGHT LIGHT AT NIGHT) function and notifications at night without me having to do it EVERY NIGHT!

Rifflynnane
Jogger
I have the charge 2 now and the quick view comes on randomly as I move around through the night and it negatively effects my sleep. I now put a thick armwarmer over it to block most of the light but it still comes off at times. 
louiswu
Stepping Up

Yes please, I wriggle like the king of wrigglyland when i'm sleeping so tis a little like trying to sleep in a Disco (but a very quiet one) if the lift to illuminate thingy could have a "do not disturb" time setting that would be rather lovely, and I for one would send doughnuts to the chaps/chapesses! 

SashaRC
Jogger

Agreed! The fitbit knows when you are sleeping, so there should be a setting to automatically turn off the lights that track heart rate during this time. 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable
@SashaRC:
The heartrate LEDs must be kept on to monitor your heartrate during sleep. This thread is about (dimming or disabling) the display 😉
ErikK
First Steps

Not the only one i see.

I'm using the charge 2 for about 3 months and it's working great only the Quick view is terrible at night.

I also bought it to track my sleep so put it on my nightstand is not an option, but a not so happy girlfriend next to you because of the very bright light is also not an option.

The led's ar not the problem the very bright screen is, so for me scheduled disabling is enough.

And maybe a reaction after 71 comments about this problem would also be nice, only to know if the fitbit staff is reading this. Maybe it's not possible then it's also nice to know.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable
I honestly don't think they care. They have our money so suck it up. That is what I think.

Sent from my iPad
s.d
Jogger
also wonder if anyone actually reads this form the makers of FITBIT???
docwisdom
First Steps

Adding all of the variations of this request together is about 1,800 votes. Does this really take that much dev time to implement? 

tasmith
Stepping Up

Yes! From the actual watch (I have a charge 2) would be great! Just like notifications.

LMJones
First Steps

Not only at night when I'm trying to sleep, but also at the theater when I'm applauding the light on my Charge 2 will come on randomly.  It's disruptive in both cases.  I have already turned off Quick View.  Is there anything else I can do to get this to stop?

DebC-10
Jogger

Wondering if the Fitbit is capable of a red display at night? We do amateur astronomy and Red Lighting on the quick view would enable us to continue to wear it during the night without ruining the astrophotography.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Amen, and AMEN and HALLELUJAH - it's not "JUST ME" for once!! I'm not going to google this for you all, but there is GOBS of scientific research on sleep disruption due to light pollution. I actually STOPPED wearing my fitbit to track my already fitful post-menopausal achey disrupted sleep, because the confounded thing BLINDS me with the bright BLUE LED lighting (which if you did your homework and studied, you will find that blue wave light is the bad boogerman for sleep problems because it kills the melantonin (sp?) and all of that. And just so you know, I wear a headband over my eyes to protect from the light. I have a washcloth that covers the blue lights on my CPAP machine (we're not all young spandex-bunnies wearing your FitBit products. Some of us are rolling down the other side of the middle age hill...), and the FitBit flashing on and off was visible through my headband.

Now granted, when I do my little old lady business in the bathroom once or twice a night (which sometimes Fitbit reports as "I slept through that entire time" and I know I was up however many times I was up to do my bathroom business), it is nice to be able to discreetly check the time. That's what RED LED lights are for. Red is well known for not distinigrating one's night vision. Google that too, please. I'm sure you will be astounded.  I'm frankly shocked this wasn't already a consideration.

My suggestion(s) would be: a)  toggle switch on or off for the "raise and turn wrist to turn display on" - to turn it completely off during "night" hours, when one is actively going to sleep, or b) a toggle to change the color of the LED at "night". Both of these suggestions would also be helpful for individual to set for their own "bed time", for those who are on shift hours and have to sleep in a darkened room during the day and all of that (rather than just arbitrarily assuming  night hours, with the assumption that everyone actually goes to bed at night. I'm obviously up typing this out now at night...)  Or c) whatever other engineering you all can come up with???

Thanks!!

Debboo
First Steps

Recently upgraded from Fitbit Flex to Charge 2.  First night wearing my Fitbit Charge 2.  Lights woke me up all night.  Please provide a dimming option.  This was not an issue with the Fitbit Flex!  Will try disabling the lights as suggested, but this is quite a pain. Automatic dimiming option when sleeping or like on iPhone when you can set night mode between certain hours every night.

Belix
Jogger

adding my post for sleep zone light dimming if the LED supports half power.

Tess123
Jogger
Can a Moderator at least post a comment or feedback occasionally? I am
wondering if perhaps all these requests are completely ignored by the
Fitbit developers whose only interest is to bring out new models and not
improve existing ones. I have stopped wearing my Charge 2 at night. I
turned Quick View off but still managed to trigger the display many times a
night with arm hitting the bed etc. Very disappointing!!
Maxime1496
First Steps

I agree, it would be nice to have a time setting disabling the quick view

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I'm thinking we need to post on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook - that way, the whole world sees. Also, fill out a consumer review on Amazon or Costco or wherever you bough your Charge 2. Be sure to highlight the night blindness issues. Then others might decide not to buy. I may be under the 60 day guarantee at Costco (need to find my receipt), and if so, will probably return it. Or just keep doing what I am doing, which is not wear it at all - as it's fine for day time and for my heart rate collection.

Mark88
Stepping Up

I have a Fitbit charge 2 and I think it would be a great feature to be able to change the brightness. When I turn it on at night to see the time it's very bright and can wake my wife. Many thanks

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.