Turn off quick view when I'm sleeping (or at customizable times) aka 'Night Mode'

I love the quick view feature however when I'm sleeping I tend to wave my arms around which activates the display which sometimes wakes me up, especially if my wrist is close to my face.

My fitbit knows when I'm sleeping as it tracks my sleep so how about having the capability to disable quick view automatically whilst I'm sleeping, in fact don't even have it as a selectable option just don't trigger quick view when my fitbit knows I'm sleeping.

Moderator Edit: Edited suggestion title.

1,420 Comments
Rich_Laue
Community Legend

This request feature would be a part of the tracker which is mentioned but is filed under App.

I like the idea.

Didds11
First Steps

Hi, I have just come across this board while looking for a way to dim or turn off the light at night.  It is so bright when I turn over in my sleep it wakes my husband (he is a light sleeper) so the feature to do that would be a great advantage on my Charge 2.

KAF454
Jogger
On the Fitbit dashboard:

1. Press on the picture of the tracker in the upper right corner. That will
go to the Charge 2 settings.

2. Scroll down to Quick View and slide the switch to the left. The switch
color will change from red to gray.

3. Go back to the dashboard and sync the tracker. Quick View will then be
deactivated.

The next morning just go to settings and turn Quick View back on.

Turning off Quick View will not keep the tracker from lighting up if it is
activated manually such as bumping his pillow.

It's a workaround as opposed to a solution, but it helps.
Didds11
First Steps
Thank you that is very helpful 😀
Chairman_Wang
First Steps

This feature should be a given. Adjustable brightness, even manual or time based is sorely needed

SherriJS
Recovery Runner

Agree with all. Need a way for Charge 2 to either 1. recognize you're asleep and not turn on Quick View when you roll over, it constantly awakes me defeating the point of trying to track me sleeping; or 2. Have a parameter set so we can say based on our bedtime goal, automatically diable Quick View just for those hours, since most of us want it on during the day and not waking us up with a bright light every time we roll over in bed.  I got the Charge 2 for automatic sleep tracking over replacing it with another FitBit one, which I had to remember to turn on sleep tracking, but now that I have the automatic sleep tracking on the Charge 2 I have to remember to manually turn off and on Quick View. Another annoying thing to remember at bedtime - turn off Quick View, turn it on in the morning.....this s/b a minor software patch. 

Markius_Lanzius
First Steps

A setting for Quick View on the Fitbit itself, a schedule in the app settings, and auto sleep detection switching would be perfect. But any one of these would do for me.

I still want the green heart rate tracking LEDs to stay on though.

TheWoodlandsTom
First Steps

For me the face tap activates the light at night when the FB contacts sheets/blanket or whatever. That lights it up brightly, wakes me up. To be clear, this is different than the QuickView on/off issue. I've already got that turned off. Either a dimmer or deactivate during certain hours please. Will have to not wear at night otherwise.

CherylLong
Jogger

Totally agree. I came to this site to make this suggestion and was amazed at how many folks desire the same feature. Come on FitBit. This should not be hard to program for. A box to click with the desired hours for the display to be either dimmed or off (additional choice)

Guytongal
Jogger

I would love to see the quick view feature automatically turned off during sleep hours too.  It seems like it would be a simple fix since the Charge 2 knows your sleep goal and time sleeping.  If I really want to see the time when I'm sleeping, I can press the button.  Please put this in the next update.  Thank you!

sloring
First Steps

I love my new Fitbit charge but it kept me up with the bright screen. Since I log my bed and wake times can't that also make the screen go dim?   My iPhone has that feature.  It should be that hard.  

WilcoWotsit
Jogger

I'll vote for night mode too ... I sleep with my wrist next to my face and keep waking up with the thought somebodies shining a torch in my eyes - it's bit un-nerving to say the least - I'm thinking of not wearing my Charge 2 in bed which would be a shame.

Aero1
First Steps

Night dimming would be a great.

PhiloPharynx
Recovery Runner

Putting bright LED's on a product designed to be used while you are sleeping is ... less than optimal design.  I have the wrist motion activation turned off*, but I still occasionally get woken up by the display lighting because it detected taps in my motion.  

*I was about ready to destroy my original charge when they added this feature and activated it by default.  Whoever decided that is in for a very unpleasant afterlife.  

danisolas
First Steps

Oh my please yes. I have quick view turned OFF yet it persists. If this was an option, at leat it could potentially mitigate the problem when it is at its most bothersome!

nmsunlover
Stepping Up

I agree - PLEASE please have the screen light/Quick View turned off when it detects I'm sleeping. Such a hassle to have to go to the app, turn off Quick View, then sync. I already have to remember to turn off Notifications at night, then back on in morning.

I lvoe the sleep tracking of the fitbit, but it would be Great to have the Charge 2 Quick View Lights AND Notifications turn off automatically when it detects sleeping. Or, at least be able to preset times for these 2 to be turned off, then back on later!!

SwissMartian
First Steps

This would be the single largest impact feature that could be added.  I leave quickview off always (which sucks) because would forget to turn it off when I went to bed...being awoken by a blinding fitbit isn't fun.  

deesteezy
First Steps

+1 Just got my Charge 2 and love it. But last night the screen kept waking me up when I moved around in the bed. Would love to have a feature that turns the screen off when sleeping. Or allows the user to turn the screen of before going to sleep.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable
Sorry about the earlier, empty reply. The trick to turning off Quick View and KEEPING it off lies in the sync. I used to have the same problem. Then I learned that when turning off Quick View, I had to scroll down and immediately tap Sync. Once it synced, I flicked my wrist to verify it was off. If it was still on, I double checked that the option was still off then synced again. My problem was that I was leaving the screen before the sync instructed my Fitbit device to turn the feature off. Following these steps (and exercising a little more patience 😏), Quick View is off when I want it off ... and on when I want it on.

Hopes this helps!

Carol
MeganCB
First Steps

I don't think the problem is people not knowing how to turn it off and back on, it's the hassle of having to turn it off every night and then back on in the morning. 

There should be a feature on the app that lets you schedule when quickview is active and when it isn't, so you can just set the schedule and then forget about it, and not be woken up at night if you forget to go through the steps to turn it off and on each night/day.

SusiB60
Recovery Runner

Yes 

SusiB60
Recovery Runner

Agreed.  

Mine often disturbs my sleep. 

Not convinced Fitbit take any notice of these threads though.   

The request to be able to see both sides of a message between friends has been cheerfully ignored for over 3 years now. 

hkgm
First Steps

I agree- would love to be able to turn off my quick view overnight. Ideally, I'd like to be able to set it to match my target sleep schedule. When I get a reminder to wind down for bed, I'd like quick view to turn off until my alarm goes the next morning. It would also be great to be able to enable/disable quick view from my Charge 2 HR rather than my app (for example, when at a play and realize that my quick view is on and my wrist lights up each time I clap). Thanks!

hkgm
First Steps

Would love to see a feature where quick view is tied to my sleep schedule so it will disable when I'm scheduled to be (or actually am) sleeping. As I've been falling asleep I've moved and had a bright light wake me up. 

joynes
First Steps

This is the worst experience I have ever had.

Its such a basic thing and there should be no manual step at all. All the lights should turn off during bedtime and you can already input this time.

Is there a technical limitation or something that made it hard to implement?

Does anyone know about any third party software that can solve this for now?

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.