Turn off quick view when I'm sleeping (or at customizable times) aka 'Night Mode'

I love the quick view feature however when I'm sleeping I tend to wave my arms around which activates the display which sometimes wakes me up, especially if my wrist is close to my face.

My fitbit knows when I'm sleeping as it tracks my sleep so how about having the capability to disable quick view automatically whilst I'm sleeping, in fact don't even have it as a selectable option just don't trigger quick view when my fitbit knows I'm sleeping.

Moderator Edit: Edited suggestion title.

1,420 Comments
shadow61260
Jogger

Until the dimmer option or an on/off choice is developed for the brightness of the clock - cut a small piece of the sticky end of a post-it note the size of your clock's viewer glass and stick it on it. Comes off in the morning with no residue and good as new. (and it is reusable)

Hope this helps. Good sleeping all....

SunsetRunner
Not applicable
This might be a interesting try but will it stay on if one is a restless sleeper? Will have to try it. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone
Marcellow
Jogger

Please do

RMBerry
First Steps

I would like a feature to prevent the screen from coming on due to motion, particularly during recognized sleep. This would be great when sleeping, because I have had my Charge 2 shine  in my eyes many times throughout the night. 

ChristyDoodle
Runner

I don't know if this would work for the Charge 2 but my Alta has a setting for Quick View - when I turn it off it won't turn on unless I double tap it (which 1/2 of the time during the day I have to do anyway). So I can't see the time during the day just by turning my wrist but I'm not blinded when I roll over during the night.

MayanHammock
Stepping Up

Turning the Quick View on and off should be unnecessary, though it does work on the Charge 2.

A better solution would be either to have a setting that turns off Quick View when sleeping or have set times when Quick View is turned on and off. 

Erik_l1965
First Steps

Thanks, Christy.

For those who do t know where to find that setting: 

Open the Fitbit app

Tap "account"

Tap "Charge 2"

Scroll down to "Quick View "

Tap on/off

FibroMEEP
Jogger

The screen is far too bright at night, yet barely visible in sunlight. When it's programmed with your proposed sleep cycle, it would be nice if the display would also go to sleep. Is this something that could be addressed please?

eriq10
First Steps

Set up an account just to say this. My wife has declared that the Charge 2 is no longer welcome in bed since the light wakes her up whenever I toss about (which, thanks to fitbit, I can confirm is a frequent occurrence). I like the quick view feature, but I'll not be able to use it until it has a timer or similar feature. 

Uffitt
Stepping Up

I've tried switching Quick View off but then I have to turn it back on again in the morning - there are already enough little things to remember to do when I wake up and it's frustrating to have to add another when I have already told the app what time I ought to be in bed and when I should be up again. Surely it should be possible to have this change automatically.

Erik_l1965
First Steps
I like that idea. Have Quick View turn on/off based on the Sleep Schedule.

Erik Larson
Ebo32
Jogger

Ditto. Might even save my marriage. Let's us control when the screen comes on. Please.

AllBlackCats
Jogger

Same issue in my household, love the quick view on the Charge 2 during the day, not so much in bed, it really is quite bright!  Would love to be able to disable it between set times.

DebC-10
Jogger
Ok got it under account, Alta, Quickview & then set to off. Will use when sleeping or viewing with out telescope under dark sky conditions!

Sent from my iPhone
Clarck_
Recovery Runner

So? When will we ablo to auto turn off light with a do not disturb time zone?

Best regards.

brightonpete
Recovery Runner

Wow, this looks like a no-brainer improvement. So many people want this.

I'll either take it off or stick on some tape to tame the searchlight!

CynthiaS444
Jogger

The screen is nearly unreadable in bright daylight.  Indoors it is fine.  I find I have to cup my hand around the display to make it darker, remove any sunglasses I have on and/or find some shade to stand in.  I'd really like a setting to adjust brightness.

nousername
Jogger

Also helpful in theaters... Embarrassing when the display goes on when you move your arm. At that point, I have to take it off and put it into my pocket... Best would be something like a 5 second click that toggles quick/view.

orabanda
Stepping Up

Like many others have commented the lack of brightness... inability to read the display in daylight is a real issue and disappointing. Even in an overcast day the brightness is very poor. Also agree that the vibration from the notifications can be either too weak or erratic in intensity and easy to miss. Would imagine many of these improvements are software based and in the grand scheme of things relatively easy to address.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable
This may not be the response we were looking for, but wanted to say that I have a temp solution to this problem that works for me. Not that I want to do this for the duration of the life of the charge 2 but works. I took a black sock with a wide top band and cut off 4-4 1/2 inch. When I go to bed I fold in 2 and put it on my wrist like a sweat band. It pads it so rarely comes on and if it does I can not see it to wake me up. Hope they come up with a real solution but till then I find this works for me. Hope this may help some get a better sleep as well. As a bonus I find the battery seems to last longer between charges, as it was coming on rather often as I am a busy sleeper.
Sent from Mail for Windows 10
shadow61260
Jogger

If you do not like the time light coming on every minute, go to your Dashboard sync page and turn "Quick View" off.

The time will no longer turn on unless you hit the button manually on your Fitbit device. 🙂

shadow61260
Jogger

As far as an unreadable screen - sounds like the makers/inventors of cell phones, and other digitally lit devices like the Fitbit, need to invent something new. Otherwise, we'll all have to keep finding some shade to read them.

TheWoodlandsTom
First Steps
That's not the issue. Turned that off months ago. The issue is that the display will also come on with a tap of one's finger to the screen. That tap can also occur while sleeping (of trying to sleep) but the device touching the sheets, pillow, whatever. Then it lights you up like the Vegas strip.

Also, I get the recommendations from some that it can be covered with duct tape or a sock or something to "solveL the problem. But that doesn't solve the fact that it's a design flaw that I'd like to see FitBit step up and fix.
shadow61260
Jogger

Thanks Woodlands Tom.

I did not know there was a tap feature to see the time, etc - I've been pushing the side button.

Thank you so much.

Altaali
Jogger

Same on the Alta. Very disappointed that I can't see the display outside and it's not even summer yet. I see people have been requesting this since the beginning of 2016.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.