Customizable vibration length and patterns for notifications

I often miss my notifications because I'm actively concentrating on something.  Even when the vibrations are set to strong.  I am most concerned about reminders to move.

1. Option to make reminders to move more like an alarm that could be "snoozed" or vibrate longer so it could be noticed when busy (highest priority)
  2. I would like the option to add custom vibrate patterns 
  3. Set the vibrate patterns to particular apps/alerts 

Moderator edit: Clarified subject and updated label

126 Comments
jlcargill
Jogger

Make notification alerts longer or repeat

Dbartlin
First Steps

Would be nice to be able to change length and strength of vibrations for notifications. Or simply to receive notifications without a vibration but still have them appear on the Fitbit. Either way, vibrations should have levels of strength so one can choose how noticeable or how subtle they want it to be for each notification type.

Matthew_R
First Steps

I’m having my notifications come up on the list in the fitbit app and a had a really great the fitbit support though it was a amazing idea to post it here it is to be able to customise notifications vibrations for each app for all the fitbits

StevenRDavis
Jogger

I really like the Ionic, but the vibration setting is so soft I can't feel it.  We need to ability to increase the intensity and duration of notification vibration.

tgaylord
Stepping Up

This feature needs to be added to all FITBIT trackers and especially the Charge 2.  I just replaced my Charge HR with a Charge 2 HR a week ago and am very dissapointed by the fact that the vibration intensity of the Charge 2 is considerably less than the Charge HR.  I am constantly missing alarms and notifications because I no longer notice them.  This morning I slept right through my wake up alarm.  I guess I'm now going to have to start using the alarm on my phone---which is not going to make my wife happy.  She really liked the fact that I was able to get up for work at 5am without waking her up.  If I'd known that the Charge 2 vibration was not as strong as the Charge HR--I would not have purchased it.  Second generation products are supposed to be "improvements" not a step backwards.  I sure hope Fitbit can fix this issue with a firmware update--otherwise, they've probably lost me as a customer for any future products.

AjaySingh
Runner

Yes, there should be an option.

If I knew about the, I wouldn't buy charge2.

Status changed to: Not currently planned
MaginB
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi everyone, thanks for sharing this suggestion. We're always striving to enhance Fitbit products and services, and we appreciate all of the input we receive from our customers. We do not currently have plans to release this feature. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs. For now, we will leave this suggestion open for votes (and closed to comments) so that we can continue to track community demand over time. Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us and we will let you know if anything changes.

Flyingdutchbird
First Steps

I think it would be super helpful even if there would just be a customisation option for the pattern of a vibration. This should not require a hardware change as the 'celebration' pattern is already different to the 'notification'. I would love it if I could set the 'celebration' pattern for notifications as that is one I don't miss. If I'm concentrating on something, I often miss the notification, as it only vibrates once. Setting it to have a pattern (e.g. short-short-long) would help I believe. I think this might help many complaining about the lack of strength of the vibration, as a longer, or patterned vibration at current strength would likely be more noticeable. I own the Alta HR; before I had the Sony Smartband talk and would love to see the best of both worlds in a small Fitbit 🙂 

trailerville
Stepping Up

Can there please be an option to turn off vibration/silence notifications on the Ionic?  There are options for normal or strong vibration, and there's an option to shut off notifications altogether, but there's no option to receive notifications without any vibration.  I'm not a programmer, but I'm pretty sure this is a basic fix and I'm baffled that this feature is not included.  I had a Gear Fit 2 and I always kept my phone on silent while having the watch's vibration on normally and turning off the vibration while I slept, was in a meeting, or otherwise didn't want to be disturbed.  (The Gear Fit 2 silence option was also handy because it still could trigger the alarms while on silent.)  It's extremely helpful to be able to maintain silence when necessary and still have the option to quickly check messages on the watch.  I thought the Ionic would be a huge upgrade from the Gear Fit 2 and I'm impressed with so many other aspects of the Ionic, but I'm planning to return it because of the lack of this basic feature.

SilicicAcid
Recovery Runner

Absolutely ridiculous that the STRONG vibration setting on the Ionic is so weak I can barely feel it most of the time, it certainly does not wake me up!.  I thought after all the complaints about the Charge2 vibration that Fitbit would do something about this but apparently they're not listening to their customers.  Very frustrating, I've had 5 different Fitbits and the ChargeHR was the best (but it died) - the vibration motor was strong and woke me up easily!  I have no problem with a shorter battery life, just give me a vibration that lasts longer so it will wake me up!!!!

HaWeig
First Steps

The notification of incoming phone calls is quite short and easily can be missed.

Thus, I would appreciate if the device could vibrate longer. It should vibrate at least as long as the phone rings. Ideally the vibration also could be stronger.

jrouton
First Steps

I for a stronger vibration on the notification on the Ionic. I just got the FitBit Ionic Tues this week and have already over slept everyday this week and it is only Thursday. My FitBit Charge HR had a stronger vibration and woke my perfectly. I am a very heavy sleeper and a faint vibration doesn't do it and just one soft vibration sucks and in no way able to wake me. There has to be a fix to this...I am really frustrated with this. Having the option to increase the intensity, pattern and duration of notification vibration would make me so happy and from what I have been reading a lot of people would be THRILLED with this as a feature.

Danny-A
Recovery Runner

Fully agree with the above comments. I would expect Fitbit charge 2 would be the same as charge hr in terms of vibration strength but not backward. I am surprised to learn that Fitbit has no intention to fix this issus on charge 2. 

Scottisafool
First Steps

Hopefully they will look into this. The difference between the Blaze and the Ionic's vibration is massively noticeable. 

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
LuciaFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

That’s an interesting idea and could be useful, thanks for sharing this suggestion.

BWEBB
Jogger

I constantly miss messages/notifications on my Fitbit Ionic because, I can’t feel the vibration. I would like to see an option where you can choose how many times your Fitbit vibrates. I never miss phone calls for this reason. It would be awesome if I didn’t miss notifications. 

jbender68
Base Runner

I would like to see the buzz length be able to be set long on the Iconic too , I hardly notice it even on strong, maybe different buzz pasterns too

Jeanette61
First Steps

I became so accustomed to using the original Charge HR as my alarm, I am disappointed that the Charge 2 HR can not provide the same feature. I barely feel the vibration when I am awake for notifications . Any fix besides buying a new model?  I like the size and shape of this model and am of the opinion that if something still works (which it does for the other needs I have) why do I need to replace it? Thank you.

SilicicAcid
Recovery Runner

Don't buy a new model yet Jeanette61, I switched from the Charge2 HR to the Ionic and the vibration sucks.  There are 2 strengths in the Ionic but even the strong isn't even half of what the vibration was in the original Charge HR.  After all the complaints about the vibration, Fitbit didn't bother to fix it.  I can't use the Ionic as my alarm because it just isn't strong enough for me to feel it.  I can't feel it most of the time during the day either - I have alarms set to go off every 2 hours to remind me to drink water and move but I rarely catch them!!  I won't be buying another Fitbit - and I've owned at least 6 different models so far!

Jeanette61
First Steps

Thanks for the heads up. I have owned 2 flex es, 2 Charge HR s and now the Charge2 HR- I loved my previous Fitbits and I wear this one all the time out of habit. but I really miss the alarm feature. Will wait and see if any better occasions arise. If you hadn't written me I might well have considered throwing away more money. Thanks again.

SilicicAcid
Recovery Runner

You're welcome Jeanette61 - it's super frustrating, I read the reviews of Ionic before I wasted my money and thought the STRONG setting would be okay....  but it's not.  It might be a tiny bit stronger than the Charge2 HR but I can barely tell the difference between the STRONG and NORMAL settings for vibration strength.  Like you, I've owned several Flexes, 2 ChargeHRs, Charge2HR, Aria and I still have my very first original  burgundy pebble-like one (can't even remember what it was called).  I loved having the vibration alarm but have had to go back to a regular alarm clock.  I hope they get their stuff together and fix this issue!!!

Jeanette61
First Steps

Yes, definitely disappointing. Like someone else said, it's like a big step backwards- Let's hope they get it together. Thanks again and have a great day!

jbender68
Base Runner

has anyone got the new Versa yet? wondering if the vibration is stronger, I have only owned the iconic a few days, so can return if it is

the "test" of notifications option does 3 long vibrates, at least wish it would do that for real notification vibrate rather then the the two very short double vibrate

I ordered one of the metal bands too, see if maybe the rubber band is dampening some of the buzz feel or not, will update if that helps

KFDRP
Jogger

I love the Ionic,  far better than an apple watch. My original one broke & I received a replacement but the vibration to let you know you have an notification seems to have got weaker when I change between Normal & Strong they both seem to be the same on my original pebble there was a good difference between them,  I'd like it to be stronger so I know someone is callong me,  I leave my phone on silent at work 

jbender68
Base Runner

ok, the new metal band came did not help, the two short notification vibrations are just too short

I will say I liked how easy the bands were to change

here is what I would like to see at least (more choices would be better, but this would help a lot)

normal (to be honest, I can tell no difference between the normal and strong on the Iconic)
strong
3long <-- this being the 3 long vibrates the test of the notification option already does

this seems like a simple development request as it is already used as the "test" notification from inside the app to make sure notifications working, be so nice to pick that as the real notification vibration

this is a great fitness watch, just wish it could do notifications, that is a huge drawback

until it's fixed though, everyone that notices my watch and asks about it, I will have to give them the sad news on the notification feature

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.