Weekly sleep average instead of sleep session average

Today I learned that my average amount of sleep is the average amount of sleep per session, not my average amount of sleep per day. That's great if you get all of your sleep all at once, or if you sleep once every 24 hours. It's not great if you have an irregular sleep schedule that involves multiple shorter sleep sessions or if you work 48 hour days and make up your sleep later. Offering an average amount of sleep per day with a consistent denominator of 7 days per week would make this calculation more valuable. 

Moderator Edit: Added Labels

8 Comments
AranelS
Recovery Runner

I'm not sure if this is a new "feature" or a bug, because the behavior that you describe is new.

As recently as a couple of days ago, the app used to track daily sleep average - where naps were added to each day's total instead of averaged separately.  The website dashboard still does this.

jeffkross
Recovery Runner

It has to be a bug. The website still calculates sleep per day. Sleep per session in the app is a meaningless statistic.

Mocarbe
First Steps
I am so glad I'm not the only one who thought this was a new bug!!! I
tweeted FitBit about my average sleep time being wrong and they explained
the average length of sleep per session thing as though it was totally
normal and intentional. I didn't trust my own memory about past averages,
but agreed that this stat was useless. I asked where to suggest a different
average that would be more useful, and found myself here.
AranelS
Recovery Runner

Some other folks have been asking about this in the discussion forums. It is definitely a new behavior and it is definitely unhelpful.

poppadon
Jogger

I have to agree with others who have described the average as useless as it is now and would be much more useful if it was a daily average.

jacal
Recovery Runner

I noticed as well. I'm going to have a hard time recommending fitbit because of the apps and general inconsistencies across app platforms. 

J

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
LanuzaFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Nice suggestion, thanks for sharing. We look forward to hearing what other community members think.

Status changed to: Not currently planned
AlexandraFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi everyone, and thanks so much for sharing this suggestion! While we don’t currently have plans to release this feature, we always appreciate the passion and creativity that comes out of this Community. Since we know this idea is important to many of you, we have left voting open to continue tracking interest and will post another update if anything changes. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

We're always striving to enhance Fitbit products and services, and your input is a big part of that process. We truly thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.