Allow third-parties to access live heart rate data (so Fitbits can act as HR monitors)

Since the Surge and Charge HR can already connect via bluetooth to phones it would be great if you could allow third-parties to access live heart rate data directly from the device.  

This would allow apps like Strava, Runkeeper, MapMyRun and others to use the Surge and Charge HR as heart rate monitors.  

Moderator edit: added label

212 Comments
robv60
Jogger

Im VERY interested in the upcoming Charge HR. All day monitoring of heart rate will be nice. However, what I would really love to see is the ability to connect via BTLE to various fitness tracking apps (Runkeeper, MapMyRun, etc.) for real time monitoring of heart rate DURING exercise muach like a chest strap HRM does now. Having the all day caloric burn estimation is great- but being able to connect to these apps to monitor target heart rate zones during a run or other activity would be the deciding factor for me. It would push me to wait and buy the Charge HR when it comes out rather than buying a dedicated HRM now. I dont want to have to wear the Charge HR for all day monitoring but yet, STILL have to wear a seperate, dedicated HRM during exercise in order to track in my favorite app. If I have to do that then I may as well buy the less expensive model or stick with a flex.

jnhearne
Base Runner

I'm discussing something similar to get data to FitBit:

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Requests/Premium-Feature-Sync-with-other-Services-e-g-Garmin...

But yes, My HRM just crapped on me and I need a new one.  This would be a good solution. 

Perhaps consider putting an ANT antenna inside so it can sync with Garmin.

EricainHI
Recovery Runner

Yeah the ANT thing would be cool. I have a garmin running watch. I wish I could combine the Charge HR and the interval and training features of the Garmin.

splat_matt
Recovery Runner

I have the Charge HR and truly the BTLE support should be open for apps in both iOS and Android right from the start.  Right now Heart Rate feature serves very little purpose.

fb00perry
Base Runner

Upvote on getting the Charge HR to connect to other apps as if it was any other generic heart rate monitor over BTLE.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Hi. Just got the new Charge HR and I was hoping to integrate the heart rate monitor data into third party apps like MapMyWalk and Endomondo. The FitBit app is great and all, but I love options. Seeing as how the FitBit can connect wirelessly to my iPhone (assuming low power bluetooth or the like) it would seem to me that the FitBit could function like any other heart rate monitor (only far more convienent because I'm wearing it all the time). Thanks!

BBar
Base Runner

I use Garmin Edge computers for cycling and would love to get rid of the chest strap, adding ANT+ to capture heart rate would be perfect.

hsbenny
Jogger

It would be nice to use the HR with other apps like map my fitness. I know Peak does this and it would be nice to see Surge do this too. 

Moderator Edit: Added Labels/Title for Clarity

Alphaema
Recovery Runner

I was under the impression that we would be able to use this product as a hrm. I assumed that since it already paired with mapmyfitness, that it would allow me to also connect to it via Bluetooth in order to track my workout on MMF. I bought this hoping that I wouldn't have to continue to wear my chest strap to track my hr. Will this be an option in the near future that we could see with 1st gen? If not, I'm considering returning it since I still have to deal with my chest strap. The wrist hrm was the selling point for me on this.

Moderator edit: Added Labels

Alphaema
Recovery Runner
Yes, PLEASE! I bought this hoping I could give up the chest strap. They already sync together so please make it so that I can track my workouts on MMF with my charge HR.
joneda1
Jogger

Not everybody is going to buy a Charge HR or Surge and many people with existing Fitbit devices may be interested in heart rate monitoring in workouts. Endomondo and others allow a Bluetooth heart rate monitor to be connected to the phone and record heart rate data along with all the other workout information from GPS, etc.

It would be great if the MobileRun feature of the phone app allowed an opton to connect a Bluetooth HRM and record this data into your Fitbit account along with GPS tracking, etc.

Also would be great if we could get MobileRun up and happening on Windows Phone.

timepiggy
First Steps

I have a surge and the Heart rate is not particularly accurate for some types of exercise. I enjoy the 24 hour monitoring but it owuld be great to get some more accurate info on heart rate through integration with a chests strap HR monitor

SwissTanuki
First Steps

This needs to be done ASAP (please). I also bought the Charge HR so I don't need my chest strap (running with runkeeper).

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I'd buy a ChargeHR if it would broadcast the HR via BLE to my Android Strava App (ANT+ would be even better, but presumably the hardware isn't there to do that).

BlitzKingJecht
First Steps

Just recently got the fitbit charge HR with the intention of using it to monitor my heart rate during workout such as running, but have come to realize that the apps I like to use such as Runtastic and Endomondo does not recogonize the Charge HR as a bluetooth device and thus doesnt connect to it nor does it allow it to display my heart rate that is being captured by the Charge HR is there a way to add this feature of 3rd party app device syncing so that the Charg HR can be used as a heart rate monitor for other apps as well.

Cemig
First Steps

App is almost perfect, but could be great to add ability for measure heart rate on mobile phones by put finger over camera. Same system like app called Heart rate pro (Runtastic). Or with developer of mentioned app to program export of measurements over connection like the other compatible apps with fitbit.

HP22
Base Runner

I use the mapmyfitness group of apps andy have to wear an external HRM, I currently have a charge hr and would love the hr to integrate with these apps so I don't have to wear an external HRM.

Im also trying figure how and what actually integrates with each other which I might do some investigating myself by emailing each products support to find out more information.

Moderator edit: Added Labels

themshow
First Steps

There's a similar requests with more votes, please add your vote over here:

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Requests/Charge-HR-as-heart-rate-monitor-in-apps/idi-p/69086...

agemperline
Stepping Up
I already voted on that and my feature request was written up first.
cmp2993
Jogger

Same here, I'm really disappointed that I can't track my heart rate during my workouts with my favorite apps. Fitbit fails at integration, I can say that after owning my Charge HR for a week. They don't support iOS HealthKit or any real 3rd party integration! Connecting to their website has never shared data with my apps, so not sure why they even have you login and "link" to apps when it can't really directly connect through Bluetooth like it should. Will probably have to return mine because this is a deal breaker for me if they won't support their own device the way it so easily could be! What a shame because other than integration issues it is a great device!

Onyx1
First Steps

I have the same concern and am really debating send the Charge HR back.

This Charge HR adds absolutely no value if I still have to use my other bluetooth heart rate monitor for working out.  I can count step on my phone for free and not pay $160 for a product that adds no value. 

Will be returning it this week.

LuizCorrea
Jogger

Once Surge has BLE built in, I'd like to connect it to third party sensors like cadence and speed. Moreover, we could connect it to an external HR sensor to track exercises we know that Fitbit doesn't track well like workouts.

jemmo1
First Steps

It would be great if the heat rate monitor would show on the strava app? Strava is such a great app for cycling and the HR monitor on the FITBIT HR is there. Why won't they link?

mjo27
First Steps

I use Map My Run to log my running activities and am using my Charge HR to monitor my heartrate.  Currently Map My Run can not recognize the Charge HR as a valid heart rate monitor.  I know there are other Fitbit prodcuts that integrate with Map My Run and hope that the Charge HR will too soon.  If nothing else it would be nice to eliminate the duplicate data when workouts are complete.  There is an entry from Map My Run and another from my Fitbit.

Thanks!

sdwatson52
Jogger

Exactly my need as well.  I use Map My Run for exercising and have a Charge HR to capturing my heart rate.  I believed for some reason that the Charge HR would connect with Map My Run but apparently I am wrong and I am very, very disappointed!

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.