Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add Post-menopausal option in Female Health Tracking

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

What about those of us who are postmenopausal? 

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
53 REPLIES 53

This new tile—female health tracking—is totally worthless for a large portion of Fitbit users. Why not ask if we wanted it first or at least give an option to those gals like myself who are on the other side of menopause?

Best Answer

@HuntressFan wrote:

This new tile—female health tracking—is totally worthless for a large portion of Fitbit users. Why not ask if we wanted it first or at least give an option to those gals like myself who are on the other side of menopause?

Easy to get rid of.  If using a computer, click on the pen icon at the upper right on the App dashboard and you can add or subtract any tiles you desire.  If on an Android phone, on  the App dashboard, scroll down and touch Edit and make your changes.

Best Answer
Thank you for your response. However I know how to edit my dashboard. My
issue is with a tile that had no function for women in my age group.
We all drink water, sleep, eat, etc. But not all women using a Fitbit have
menstrual cycles. Options in the tile should reflect our age as well as a
29 year old woman thinking about going off her birth control.
Make it useful to all age groups.
Best Answer

Hi, @Amy_in_MN, you can remove the tile from your app, and as long as you have not logged any periods, you should not see any information related to Female Health Tracking on your Fitbit device.

If you need help deleting the tile just post again letting us know whether you are using iOS or Windows and someone can talk you through it.

I'm like you -- but I really wish something like this had been around for me earlier.  And I think it would really have helped during the perimenopausal years to give me some insight into just how my periods were changing... I was always a little scatterbrained about it and often taken by surprise...

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer

Why would Fitbit automatically add this app to my dashboard?  I am a bit perterbed with this.  You have all of my personal information which includes my DOB. Hello?  Post-menopause, thank you very much.  Quite happily I might add.  We elderly exercise too.  Don’t assume, use the data you require us to fill out and remove that application from my dashboard. i did not ask for it and should not have to use my time to remove it.  Thand you.

Best Answer

Hi, @Mommeo56, Fitbit can't know when individual users will reach menopause.  Also, many post menopausal women who are taking HRT will have a "period" and may wish to log this. The tile is automatically added to all users who have identified as Female who are using Windows or iOS apps.

It only takes a few seconds to remove that (or any) tile that is not relevant to an individual user.  Just scroll to the bottom of the home screen on your app, click edit, click the tile to remove (minus or X) then click "done".

However, if you would like to suggest that Fitbit uses DOB to determine whether to add the tile in the first place, the best way to let the developers know is to post in the feature suggestion forum.  Always do a quick search first before adding a feature, in case someone else has already made this suggestion.  

In the feature suggestion forum others can vote for your idea and make comments.  The more votes the more likely it is to be implemented.  (For example, adding Female Health Tracking was one of the most popular suggestions -- now implemented!)

Welcome to the forums.

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer

I am not post or pre- but I don't get a period because of birth control so the period tracking is not useful for me either. However, there are other things you can log there like how you are feeling and if there is a discharge- things that may still come monthly even though we no longer get a period. it may help with establishing a pattern of sorts...

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

This could have been good for peri menopause women. Tracking hot flushes etc. I went through early onset when I was mid 30s, so would have preferred to have option to opt in rather than out.

Best Answer

After checking, it seems that 60 would be a cut off age they could use for assuming menopause, and it's on the conservative side. Is there anyone here older than that who found the tile popped up for them? 

Best Answer

Yep.  I'm 69.  I think this would have been a good feature 30 years ago.  Also, I am a bit perturbed that Fitbit will launch a new feature when its new device, the Versa, is having some many accuracy problems.

Basic (disintegrated), Ultra, One, Surge (returned), Flex, Charge, Alta, Charge 2, iPhone 7 Plus, Macbook Pro, iPad Pro.
Best Answer

I agree. I found this very insensitive to automatically show up in my app and dashboard, without an option.

I am 39, but had to give up my breasts, uterus, cervix, ovaries and any dream of having children to breast cancer.

Thank you Fitbit for reminding me of my pain and giving me one more place where I have to be reminded of what I lost, even once deleted from dashboard, it still remains in settings.

For some reason I also get prompts to set up 'family ace' or something like that.

Best Answer

Oh, that's awful. So much sympathy. What is "family ace" ? 

Apart from not even suggesting the tile to anyone well past menopausal age, they could simply ask

Do you menstruate? 

Yes, currently

Yes, but not currently

No

And that should filter out people appropriately. It gets tricky with gender, because not everyone with a uterus is a woman, and not every woman has a uterus. I'd rather have cis men put up with being asked once if they menstruate than have trans men and non-binary people left out. After that one question, however, there should be no sign of the the tracker if someone has selected No. It certainly shouldn't appear as default. It's not only been appearing as default for women who really don't need it, it's been appearing for men. 

Best Answer

I'm 60, my daughter thought this hilarious as did I initially but it's really downright ridiculous.  I have no problem with the idea but an age appropriate female health tracker would make more sense than one that immediately tells you you can't take part.  A backwards step I think.

Best Answer

Okay I understand this female health tracker is a new thing and I'm certain Fitbit realises (she says hopefully) that we all don't fit the criteria.  As one whose back boiler has long gone and having recently celebrated a 60th birthday, I'd love to access an appropriate tracker for me.  I know there are plenty of apps available to accommodate but having subscribed to the Fitbit regime for the last 5 years it would surely be considered decent to include everyone in tracking programmes and not just females with a functioning uterus.

I find, and it makes me so mad I fight against it, that we are excluded and ignored by age of many things when we ought to be encouraged to participate especially in fitness and nutrition.  I have no idea how many years I have ahead of me but am working on a drop off point in my 90's in my sleep.

Come on Fitbit there are loads of us wearing your product.  Give us all an appropriate tracker.

Best Answer

Hi, @Trish_S! I'm curious what exactly you are looking to track with a post menopausal health tracker. As a woman, I honestly don't even see the benefit of the female health tracking in general (maybe if I were trying for a child I might feel differently). I'm not sure that it has any benefit to the Fitbit monitoring beyond just providing an additional set of data to look at. It's not changing your calorie burn or anything else.

MakMak | Community Council

If you find a response useful, please mark it as a solution to help others.

Check out the Lifestyle Forums for ways to get more active!

Best Answer

Spookisgirl - my heart goes out to you!  Hopefully you have a clean bill of health now!

I too found it a little insensitive.  I am menopausal and when I saw Female Health thought all kinds of issues might be trackable - headaches, hot flashes, mood swings, etc.  Instead, I found that apparently the only ones considered female are those with periods!  Good to know.  

Maybe a suggestion would be different opt ins for different groups of women.  

Best Answer

I'm 40 and I think I'm starting to get into perimenopause, actually. My cycles are getting a bit shorter and my periods are getting longer. If the female health tracker does improve and become more usable (I've disabled it for now), it'd be great if it could calculate averages based on a year at a time, and let you know if those have changed. I entered a year and a half of period dates, so it's averaging those and thinks I have a 3 day periods when I now have 4 day periods. 

Best Answer

Or even Pre menopausal.  That is where I am.  My cycle is every 28 days for a few months and them it just stops all together for a month or 2 to come back and hit me twice in a cycle.  I'm having trouble getting the estimated periods that are not happening to delete.

Best Answer

Hello everyone, hope you're doing great today! For anything else you would like to see implemented in this feature for the future, consider visiting our Feature Suggestions board. Please, look under the label "Female Health Tracking" for existing ideas that might match your own and vote. Woman Wink

I was making some research and was able to find this idea asking for the same:

Also, don't forget to always check the articleHow do I use the Fitbit app to track my period? since it is the best place to find more information about this new feature. 

I agree with my friend @Julia_G, the Female Heath Tracking was one of the most popular in the Feature Suggestion board and now it's implemented! Woman Very Happy Which means that, since this is a newly launched feature, we're always interested in ways to improve the product.

Thanks to all for the feedback! 

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer