Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Game Golf App Not Connecting to GPS

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Just installed game golf on Ionic.  App loads course, but says "no GPS connection".  Any suggestions?

Moderator Edit: Updated Subject for Clarity

Best Answer
0 Votes
9 REPLIES 9

@JimSto Welcome to the Fitbit Community! Thanks for installing the Game Golf GPS app and for sharing the situation you are experiencing with GPS not connecting.

Are you still experiencing the same? If Ionic doesn't find a signal immediately, keep in mind that environmental factors including tall buildings, dense forest, steep hills, and even thick cloud cover can interfere with your watch's ability to connect to GPS satellites.  Check this article for more details.

If the app keeps telling that error message even if non of the environmental factors are affecting; I'd recommend removing the app from your watch and then download it once again.

Try this out and let me know how it goes! Smiley Happy

Santi | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Like my response? Vote for it! Also, accept as solution!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Issue is not environment - problem has something to do with the GPS "starting" when app starts. 

The work-around I've been able to employ involves opening Fitbit exercise app, starting a GPS exercise (i.e. run or walk) until GPS connects.  I then exit the exercise app, re-start Game Golf & the GPS is magically working... 

Once GPS is started, the golf app is great, but either Fitbit or the app developer needs to find a way to re-initialize Ionic GPS upon golf app startup for it to be independently functional.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@JimSto Thanks for your reply. Sorry for the delayed response. Thanks for sharing the workaround that has helped you out to connect with GPS while using this app.

Are you still experiencing the same? Sometimes it take some time to get the GPS to connect to your watch. How much time have you waited for the GPS to connect?

Also, did you tried the uninstalling and re installing workaround I left on my post above? 

Keep me posted! Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

GPS has started with app since my post. ~50% of the time it does not start immediately, but either waiting 5-10 seconds or switching holes 1-2x has consistently gotten GPS to "engage".

Once fully running, app works great - only remaining bug is that it seems to shut down randomly on occasion.  Re-starting works, but is mild annoyance. Definitely not a deal-breaker, as app is otherwise accurate & worthwhile.

p.s. I did uninstall/reinstall prior to my earlier workaround, but that didn't solve for my Ionic.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@JimSto Thanks for your reply! Thanks for trying the steps provided to sort this out. I'm glad to hear that the app is working consistently and that it is giving accurate data.

Regarding the random shut downs; I will send this report to our team. I will share updates from the team when I hear them. Thanks for your understanding and patience.

In the meanwhile, take a look at the Discussions Board as you will find a lot of interesting things there. Feel free to post on any thread you want. If you are looking for Fitbit friends to compete with on challenges, check this thread to add some! 

See you around! Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Santifitbit, I came across your post whilst searching for a solution to the same problem. My Ionic Game Golf App has been very successful this year until now. For no obvious reason last week the game Golf App starting shutting down intermittently during a round and this week, on my home course, where it has worked flawlessly till now, it keeps saying that it cannot find a GPS connection. I have given it plenty of time to find the GPS connection. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the course. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the entire game Golf App. The GPS seems to be working ok when I try it with an exercise app. Any advice as to what I should try next?

Best Answer

@Appin I hope you're doing well! Thanks for taking the time to report the situation you are experiencing with the Game Golf app. Thanks for trying those troubleshooting steps in order to sort this out. 

Please check if you have a solid Bluetooth and Internet connection. Your watch needs to be syncing properly for the Game Golf app to work. If that doesn't work, try restarting your watch. That could also help you out with this.

Hope this helps. Keep me posted! Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi SantiFitbit,
Thanks for your reply.
First the bad news. I had already tried all your very sensible suggestions but, alas, to no avail!
Second, the good news. The Game Golf app is working properly again. I’m not entirely sure why, except that I bought a new phone ( Iphone 7) and had to reinstall the Courses that I play on, and to my delight, the app was working again.
Finally, more bad news. That was the worst round of golf that I have played all year.
Best wishes,
Alan

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for getting back @Appin! I'm glad to hear that your Game Golf app is working again, even with bad and good news. Good news is what really matters, right? Robot Very Happy Thanks for providing detailed information about this. 

In case you have some spare time, I would like to invite you to visit our Discussions board where you will find great tips and encouragement from other members and if there's anything else I can do for you, please keep me posted!

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer
0 Votes