Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Game Golf experience

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

The Microsoft Band 2 had a great app that used the accelerometer and GPS along with Course maps to give you current yards to hole, tracked your swings and such, any news if there will be a golf app for the fitbit Ionic?

Moderator edit: edited title for clarity

Best Answer
637 REPLIES 637

@PIxinguinhawrote:

Game Golf appears to complete install then goes back to "install" . . . never actually installs on my fitbit ionic . . . is anyone else seeing this issue and has anyone come up with a fix?

Thanks!

So after one semi successful round things have gone haywire on my Ionic. First on the semi successful round 16 of 18 holes were correctly ranged (checked against another range finder) but the last two holes were wildly off by almost a hundred yards.

The next time I attempted to play, I was unable to load the course. In fact, when I clicked the settings button from within the GameGolf app,  my phone screen simply turned blank white and freezes, and obviously I'm never able to load any new courses. I've tried reinstalling the app many times, to no avail. Major disappointment.

On another note, I've also been having trouble listening to music in that the songs continually cut-in and out, and never play smoothly. Another major disappointment.

The silver lining for me is I've located my purchase receipt and have learned I can still return the watch.  I'm currently in the process of reviewing what else is available on the market and evaluating products (maybe something I should have done in the first place). Anyway, I'm going to go back to the beginning of this thread and review some of the alternate products that were mentioned by disappointed Ionic users.

Thanks and good luck to all. Happy swings and such...

Best Answer

Hello everyone! Thanks for your continuous participation on this thread regarding the Game Golf App.

Thanks to the users who contacted the developer to provide some feedback about the app and ask some functionality questions. It looks there was an update on March 30, 2018. Feel free to update the Game Golf App.

Also, I have seen some questions regarding this app being available for the newest Fitbit Versa. I checked and it will not be available for Versa. This app will be unique to Ionic at this time because of the on-board GPS.

If you keep experiencing trouble while using the Game Golf App; I'd recommend contacting the developer for further assistance.

Some basic workaround is to remove the app from Ionic and then install it again. This usually helps if the app is crashing or things like that. However, questions about functionality must be forwarded to the developer. 

Happy swinging! Keep me posted. Smiley Happy

Santi | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Like my response? Vote for it! Also, accept as solution!

Best Answer
I gave up on the Ionic. Apparently Fitbit cannot compete in the 'Smart
Watch' space. The operating system is not multi tasking and the apps are
either incomplete, buggy or both. It is a shame because the straight
fitness bands are good.

I have now replaced my Ionic with Android Wear and Chinese android 5
watches. I am evaluating them both. The good news is that they are both
full android 'machines.' I have a Huawei watch which is Wear 2.0 and a
Lemfo 6 which is Android 5.

They can be had either new or refurb for half the price of the Ionic. They
run everything (nearly) on Google Play - fitness apps, calendar, Pandora,
Play Music, etc. They have built in GPS etc. The downside is the battery
life is only 1-2 days but unless you really want continuous sleep tracking
that is not a big problem.

Too bad for FitBit I have enjoyed several fitness bands but this is just
not their space.
Best Answer
I gave up on the Ionic. I had all the same issues.  Plus the apps just are not stable.

Apparently Fitbit cannot compete in the 'Smart Watch' space.  The operating system is not multi tasking and the apps are either incomplete, buggy or both.  It is a shame because the straight  fitness bands are good.

I have now replaced my Ionic with  Android Wear and a Chinese android 5 watch..  I am evaluating them both.  The good news is that they are both full android 'machines.'  I have an original Huawei watch which is Wear 2.0 and a Lemfo 6 which is Android 5.  

They can be had either new or refurb for half the price of the Ionic.  They run everything Android (nearly) on Google Play - fitness apps, calendar, Pandora, Play Music, etc.  They have built in GPS etc.   The downside is the battery life is only 1-2 days but unless you really want continuous sleep tracking that is not a big problem.

Too bad for FitBit I have enjoyed several fitness bands and the web software is excellent but this smartwatch is just not their space.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@SantiRwrote:

Hello everyone! Thanks for your continuous participation on this thread regarding the Game Golf App.

Thanks to the users who contacted the developer to provide some feedback about the app and ask some functionality questions. It looks there was an update on March 30, 2018. Feel free to update the Game Golf App.

Also, I have seen some questions regarding this app being available for the newest Fitbit Versa and yes, it is available for that one too. In fact, all of the apps on the Fitbit App Gallery are available for both Ionic and Versa. 

If you keep experiencing trouble while using the Game Golf App; I'd recommend contacting the developer for further assistance.

Some basic workaround is to remove the app from Ionic and then install it again. This usually helps if the app is crashing or things like that. However, questions about functionality must be forwarded to the developer. 

Happy swinging! Keep me posted. Smiley Happy

Thanks.

I've uninstalled / reinstalled the app five or so times, with the same error occurring each time.

While I appreciate your recommendation to directly contact the developer (who frequents this site, as I'm sure you are aware), I do have mixed feelings in some capacity. I feel a little troubled by the fact that we the consumer are tasked with performing the administrative burden of facilitating basic product development and CSI for a service or functionality that is being advertised and marketed, and current product state (app) appears to be in beta, at best. Curious to learn, what official Fitbit processes are in-place to help the developmental activity of apps along?  Is THIS the process?  That is, requesting disappointed consumers spend their personal time to contact developers?  To me, this isn't trivial stuff here, the basic promised and marketed functionality simply isn't where it needs to be.  Best I can tell is Fitbit's process for developing apps and appeasing customers is to deploy a moderator to pacify and "herd" consumers to do a job that a team of Fitbit professionals should be performing. I'm not trying to come down on you because I know you are trying to help to the best of your ability, but at a minimum a Fitbit rep (you?) should be compiling these noted failures and coordinating directly with the developer to most efficiently conduct the activity (and ensuring forward progress is being made in the best interest of the customer), and also providing regular feedback to the community at-large (customer). Thanks. BTW - I've attached a screenshot of the blank screen I receive when I attempt to access "settings" within the GameGolf app when I'm trying to load course.

Screenshot_20180403-130224.png

Best Answer

@PhantomPhlyerwrote:
fitness bands are good.

not their space.

Which alternate product (you've mentioned serveral) would you recommend I replace my Ionic with?  If you could only have one?  I mainly want golf GPS, Pandora, and basic exercise tracking.

Best Answer

@PhantomPhlyerwrote:
fitness bands are good.

not their space.

Which alternate product (you've mentioned serveral) would you recommend I replace my Ionic with?  If you could only have one?  I mainly want golf GPS, Pandora, and basic exercise tracking. TIA!

Best Answer
0 Votes
Sorry you are having issues. My Ionic has worked perfectly fine at the gym and through 2 rounds of golf. No issues, no delays, no blackouts, etc. I have used it for workouts, stationary bike, treadmill and golf in addition to the regular features- steps, heart rate, sleep, etc. Looking forward to using the sailing/speed over ground app for sailing racing season coming up.

Perhaps Fitbit should have detailed instructions on all the settings that need to be made in order for all to work well.

Doug
Best Answer
Ummm...

This is about the golf app on Fitbit.

Maybe this should be placed on the general thread?

Gregg

--
"I have a map of the United States... Actual size. It says, 'Scale: 1 mile
= 1 mile.'" - Steven Wright
Best Answer
0 Votes
Check out Chigz Tech on Youtube for reviews of smartwatches. Very good
tech info.

On the cheap the Huawei Watch original updated to Android Wear 2. Runs
everything, but not waterproof (IP67) no NFC, No GPS, No sleep track, but
stylish with replaceable bands. Can get cheap used or refurb. $100 +/-

Disappointed with the Lemfo keypad. But price is good, also big battery HOG!

So long term I would go with new HuaWei watch 2 or LG Urbane if you have
the $$$. Neither of them IP68

LG makes a waterproof sport model (plastic case) for around $150.

Also Allcall W1 is around $110. IP67 but a real bargain. It and the LG
have sim card capable so you can be Dick Tracy. LOL

Anything Android 5 or Android wear will do all the apps you need. Hole 19,
GolfPad Plus, yada yada, and all the fitness apps you need. Runtastic,
Google Fit, Sports Tracker, Pandora, Google PLay - IOW anything Google /
Android.

Almost too many choices in the Android smartwatch space. 😉
Best Answer
0 Votes
Glad it fits your needs.

I really like my other Fitbits. BUT the Ionic has never worked right. But
mostly you cannot run two apps at the same time (save for music) and
apparently that is what is causing the skips that I get and others as well.

All the Android (and IOS) devices can run your fitness app and heart rate
and steps and golf concurrently. Can't do that with the Ionic. And
apparently (in the case of music) if/when it CAN multitask it does not
have the cpu power.

Just not ready for prime time. Very disappointed I WAS really excited at
first.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Same here, gave up on the Ionic, gave it to my wife, for what she does, it's ok, I purchased the Garmin Fenix 3, heck of a watch, I've had it for 2 months now no problems at all, I row at the gym and it has a rowing app, has the golf app which is one on best out there, has 100's of watch faces and numerous apps a serious workout watch waterproof up to 50 meters, Saffhire glass and the battery is good for up to 2 weeks kind of incredible compare to the Ionic.

Good luck finding the perfect watch for yourself, everybody has different needs but for me it's the Fenix. 

Best Answer

Claude,

Awesome info will definately check it out! Thanks!

Best Answer
0 Votes
My Ionic did everything at once on Friday aft-golf, steps,heartbeat, etc. I have all the data for that day.

You may just need to check your settings. Seriously, mine works flawlessly- I love it. And I don’t work for Fitbit!

Doug
Best Answer
0 Votes

Maybe it's because you asked your round and the others used a cart.  Haha

Best Answer
0 Votes
Yep, you are right on. Again I think FitBit has been making good wearable
fit straps but they are way out of their league with the Ionic.

I am disappointed in the way they have marketed it with all the vaporware,
fine print and '*'s (coming soon).

Partly my fault I bought all the marketing hype and failed to do my due
diligence.

They set themselves up for failure by trying to develop their own OS rather
than licensing Android or IOS. I doubt they will ever sell enough Ionic's
or Versa's to make it worthwhile for a non-'boutique' or solo developer to
port apps.

Too bad as I said because I think their back end apps and coach etc are
very solid. I will look at the Fenix. I have an Approach X-40 and I liked
it except it (Garmin) is so proprietary and the club id function was manual
and flaky at times.

So far I own:
Tom Tom Golfer
Charge HR
Garmin X40
Game Golf Tags and Belt Unit
Golf Pad GPS
Mobiltee PIQ
Ionic

Whew! They all are just a bit short of a single unit that does what I
want. The Android comes the closest. In the end I think if I upgrade to
an Android watch with GPS and NFC the GolfPad will do it all.

In the meantime I need to sell off a bunch of the others so I can release
the 2nd mortgage I took out on the house to buy all that stuff. LOL

So far the Huawei (original) does fine. Just need a phone for the GPS and
NFC for tagging clubs. I might spring for the LG Sport or just hold for
the next generation. The Lemfo is a bit of a let down but I am still
hopeful.

Anyway maybe someone will 'get it' and do it right. Yep, and maybe
Christmas will come twice a year. LOL
Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes, it still counts the steps etc in the background but you cannot isolate the golf as a separate exercise because you cannot run the exercise app and the game golf at the same time.  That is not 'true' multitasking and I want to track exercises each on their own merits.  

Unless I am missing something, which i doubt,  that is where the Ionic falls waaaaayyyy short.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi There,

Just checked on my fitbit app on my iphone and there was no golf app.  Really disappointing as having a golf app was one of the main reasons that i bought my Fitbit Ionic... Hope they get their act together, especially, now that the golf season is beginning in here in Ontario Canada where i live.    

Best Answer
0 Votes

@PeterGateswrote:

Hi There,

Just checked on my fitbit app on my iphone and there was no golf app.  Really disappointing as having a golf app was one of the main reasons that i bought my Fitbit Ionic... Hope they get their act together, especially, now that the golf season is beginning in here in Ontario Canada where i live.    

Check under Lifestyle, GameGolf is definitely available (just double checked)

Best Answer

I was having issues with my ionic resetting  during a round while using the golf game app so I tried Santifitbits suggestion to uninstall reinstall. Just walked 14 holes with no crashes so now I'm liking this app again, just about gave up on it.

Also, didn't realize you can tap on the course picture for each hole and get green views with distances listed, that's kind of nice.

Best Answer