Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Limited number of apps available / Wear OS integrations

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I'd like to put this out there to see how the rest of the community feel.

I've been a long-term user of FitBit products and have grown used to (and fond of) the interface and external design. This is why I've primarily preferred FitBit over any of the other smartwatches on the (growing) market.

However, a big downside that has come to my attention lately, especially with companies like Samsung introducing Wear OS to their smartwatches is the extremely limited number of (working) apps in the FitBit app store.

This brings me to several key issues:

1. Why do so many of the apps simply not work? (Scroll through the other discussions to get a glimpse of what I mean.)
  2. Why are so many of them hidden behind a paywall even for FitBit premium members?
  3. Why are there not more apps available?
  4. Most importantly perhaps - is FitBit considering integrating with Google Play in any way, shape or form? This would be a huge plus.

I can only imagine the nightmare that switching/modifying operating systems would be for the developers but this seems like it is going to be a make it or break it type of thing in the very near future. In all honesty, I'm thinking of switching to Samsung even though I prefer FitBit for so many reasons, simply because of the many (functional!!!) apps that Samsung offers. 

A smartwatch is a smartwatch. And it's become to be so much more than what FitBit currently offers.

I'm posting this because:

a) I'd like to hear if the rest of the community agree with me on this

b) I'd like to hear what FitBit is planning to do in the (hopefully near) future.

Cheers.

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@DoraD there are a few reasons. Fitbit doesn't seem to offer a robust API for developers as other manufacturers do. There is a reason why you can't have Zwift support, third-party music players or HR broadcasting apps on Fitbit. There is no support within the API. Yes, it's possible to do simple things like clockfaces and elementary apps but developers cannot create new types of exercises with custom metrics, use external sensors, use Bluetooth or the storage of Fitbit. Moreover, there's no map API (for example, to create navigation support like Komoot, AllTrails or even virtual run/bike rides). Even Strava disappeared from Fitbit (Strava for WearOS is totally different app but the one for Fitbit could never be like that due to limitations). All those limitations are probably the main reason why there are so few "serious" apps on Fitbit.

I'm not sure what the quality control process is when submitting apps to Fitbit Gallery but if apps stop working they should be removed.

A paywall is something the developers decide to go with, not Fitbit. Fitbit doesn't offer premium apps and developers look for other ways to get paid for their work (which isn't bad, after all, somebody spends time developing an app). However, because Fitbit doesn't offer developers any way to monetize their work, it gets riskier for users who decide to pay for such an app. The app doesn't work? Fitbit won't refund because it's not Fitbit who got paid (like for example Google does). This is one of the reasons why I never kept any paid app from the Fitbit app gallery. I just don't want to pay at random places. It would be probably a big step forward if Fitbit introduced a real app store.

It would take some work on the Fitbit side to improve the situation. Provide more advanced API to attract bigger developers, provide store functionality with trial/refund mechanics and better way to control quality (like flagging apps with lots of complaints and eventually removing them).

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
5 REPLIES 5

Hi @DoraD why do so many apps not work? What tracker?

Do you have a few examples? 

Where they written by fitbit or a third party? 

Did the developer abandon the app? 

It is possible that the API the app interfaces with is broken, or shut down. 

Please be aware that most of the apps may not have been written by fitbit. 

As for wear OS, currently the fitbits run Fitbit OS. With Google buying fitbit, Wear OS may come in the future. 

As for the pay wall, some developers want something for their time. 

Some like Pandora require a paid account to store data locally. 

Sometimes a developer puts apps under paid only as an incentive to get more paid subscribers. 

I'm not sure whathis meant by integrating with Google play, currently a user can subscribe to premium through Google Play. 

As for apps on the watch, seeing that fitbit runs it's on OS I doubt this could happen. 

One place to keep your eye on is blog.fitbit.com

Best Answer

Hi @DoraD  - what app is it you are looking for to meet your need?

Author | ch, passion for improvement.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@DoraD there are a few reasons. Fitbit doesn't seem to offer a robust API for developers as other manufacturers do. There is a reason why you can't have Zwift support, third-party music players or HR broadcasting apps on Fitbit. There is no support within the API. Yes, it's possible to do simple things like clockfaces and elementary apps but developers cannot create new types of exercises with custom metrics, use external sensors, use Bluetooth or the storage of Fitbit. Moreover, there's no map API (for example, to create navigation support like Komoot, AllTrails or even virtual run/bike rides). Even Strava disappeared from Fitbit (Strava for WearOS is totally different app but the one for Fitbit could never be like that due to limitations). All those limitations are probably the main reason why there are so few "serious" apps on Fitbit.

I'm not sure what the quality control process is when submitting apps to Fitbit Gallery but if apps stop working they should be removed.

A paywall is something the developers decide to go with, not Fitbit. Fitbit doesn't offer premium apps and developers look for other ways to get paid for their work (which isn't bad, after all, somebody spends time developing an app). However, because Fitbit doesn't offer developers any way to monetize their work, it gets riskier for users who decide to pay for such an app. The app doesn't work? Fitbit won't refund because it's not Fitbit who got paid (like for example Google does). This is one of the reasons why I never kept any paid app from the Fitbit app gallery. I just don't want to pay at random places. It would be probably a big step forward if Fitbit introduced a real app store.

It would take some work on the Fitbit side to improve the situation. Provide more advanced API to attract bigger developers, provide store functionality with trial/refund mechanics and better way to control quality (like flagging apps with lots of complaints and eventually removing them).

Best Answer

I can only assume they don't work because they were either (a) buggy in the first place or (b) because they were abandoned.

I'm using a FitBit Sense.

They were largely written by third parties. Though the menstrual tracking function (FitBit's) hasn't been working for months. But I'm aware this isn't watch-app-related so much as Android-related. And I'm aware there are other topics that deal with this.

I'm not sure if the developer abandoned the apps I'm referring to. I can only assume so.

A typical example is the Uber app.

I realize developers want something for their time (and they have a right to that, of course!). The everyday user (such as myself) doesn't know about the logistics so, e.g., I wasn't aware that FitBit doesn't profit at all from these sales. That would explain a few things.

By "integrating with Google Play", I'm referring to the Android App Store/using Wear OS.

Anyway, I'll keep my eyes peeled for any updates on the subject. Thanks!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I could go on for days haha.

• a functional Uber app
  • productivity apps such as Asana or Trello
  • gym tracker apps such as JeFit

Just to name a few of the ones that I'm most interested in 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes