Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starbucks and Fitbit app new option to work if you don't have your phone with you

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Will Fitbit Pay and other pay options, such as Starbucks app work if you don't have your phone with you? I'm looking for a solution to not having to carrying my phone when out for a walk/run and want to stop to grab water or tea along the way.

Moderator edit: Added Label & Subject Updated for Clarity

Marci | Bellevue, WA
Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

It would have to work without the phone, as the NFC and the app are on the tracker itself. If it required the phone, it would just be easier to use Google Wallet or other phone-based product.

The text on the official Ionic page seems to back this up:

"Built with an NFC chip, Ionic lets you make payments right from your wrist. Use the Fitbit app to upload your debit or credit card, then use your watch to make purchases anywhere that accepts contactless payments. "

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
6 REPLIES 6

That is a great question. I would like to know as well. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

It would have to work without the phone, as the NFC and the app are on the tracker itself. If it required the phone, it would just be easier to use Google Wallet or other phone-based product.

The text on the official Ionic page seems to back this up:

"Built with an NFC chip, Ionic lets you make payments right from your wrist. Use the Fitbit app to upload your debit or credit card, then use your watch to make purchases anywhere that accepts contactless payments. "

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer

Thanks @WavyDavey. I think the piece I'm missing is how does the information get communicated back to the bank if the watch doesn't have WiFi, assuming it has to sync with your phone for the bank handshake. I'll do some research on how the NFC chip communicates. Appreciate your help. 

Marci | Bellevue, WA
Best Answer

The watch acts just like swiping your card. It transfers your card information to the pay system, which then goes to your bank.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@MarciM wrote:

Thanks @WavyDavey. I think the piece I'm missing is how does the information get communicated back to the bank if the watch doesn't have WiFi, assuming it has to sync with your phone for the bank handshake. I'll do some research on how the NFC chip communicates. Appreciate your help. 

This should work the same way as contactless bank cards (they have no connection back to the bank) where the retailer/terminal passes the data onto the bank. So yes, payments will still work without your phone being present. 

Community Council Member

Nathan | UK

Looking to get more sleep? Join the conversation on the Sleep better forum.

Best Answer

Chuyên trang thông tin bóng đá trong và ngoài nước, cập nhật liên tục tin nhanh bóng đá, lịch thi đấu, kết quả, bảng xếp hạng tất cả các giải bóng đá, tin chuyển nhượng, hậu trường cầu thủ...

Best Answer
0 Votes