Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weather app

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Have been on Fitbit support for over two hours trying to get a fix for weather app.when I tap on the weather app I get a screen message that shows sync the Fitbit mobile app to update.support have given up and passed the problem to their expert devision.so whilst I wait for them to get in touch I thought I would throw it out to you guys.anybody got any thoughts

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I had this same problem with the Weather App, but finally thing that I've figured it out.  

@MattFitbitjump in here if I'm off base.

I think the Weather app needs WiFi to update.  Along with the Weather App, I had horrendous experience getting the Ionic connected.  

The Ionic has a 2.4 GHz WiFi radio and (I'm not sure why) it CANNOT find a WiFi device that is connected to a different  "network".  So if your phone is connected to a 5 GHz "network" the Ionic will never find the phone.  For example my 2.4 GHz WiFi SSID was Netgearnn (nn = 2 digit number) and the 5 GHz WiFi SSDwas Netgearnn-5G.  

Eventually, I discovered that if i switched my (not officially supported) Windows Phone or my computer to the Netgearnn SSID I was able to update the Weather App regularly from both my phone or my Windows 10 computer. 

Even better, I discovered that my router now (through firmware upgrade, I think) has the ability to assign the same SSID to the two bands so that devices only see a single network—even though both are still operational. 

Netgear calls this Smart Connect - Let the router intelligently select the best WiFi band 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz for your WiFi connections. Smart Connect requires the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz networks to use the same WiFi network name (SSID), security options and password.

Since I started manually switching the phone / computer to the 2.4 GHz SSID and later enabled Smart Connect I've have NO problem syncing the Ionic including getting the darned Weather APP updated.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
18 REPLIES 18

I had this same problem with the Weather App, but finally thing that I've figured it out.  

@MattFitbitjump in here if I'm off base.

I think the Weather app needs WiFi to update.  Along with the Weather App, I had horrendous experience getting the Ionic connected.  

The Ionic has a 2.4 GHz WiFi radio and (I'm not sure why) it CANNOT find a WiFi device that is connected to a different  "network".  So if your phone is connected to a 5 GHz "network" the Ionic will never find the phone.  For example my 2.4 GHz WiFi SSID was Netgearnn (nn = 2 digit number) and the 5 GHz WiFi SSDwas Netgearnn-5G.  

Eventually, I discovered that if i switched my (not officially supported) Windows Phone or my computer to the Netgearnn SSID I was able to update the Weather App regularly from both my phone or my Windows 10 computer. 

Even better, I discovered that my router now (through firmware upgrade, I think) has the ability to assign the same SSID to the two bands so that devices only see a single network—even though both are still operational. 

Netgear calls this Smart Connect - Let the router intelligently select the best WiFi band 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz for your WiFi connections. Smart Connect requires the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz networks to use the same WiFi network name (SSID), security options and password.

Since I started manually switching the phone / computer to the 2.4 GHz SSID and later enabled Smart Connect I've have NO problem syncing the Ionic including getting the darned Weather APP updated.

Best Answer

You are correct, @Jim-LaQuinta, if the Ionic cannot connect to WiFi it cannot update the Weather app screen.

Best Answer
0 Votes

great job, many thanks

Best Answer

I have the same problem with the weather app. Will my Ionic automatically connect to wifi or do I have to do it manually and if so how? Thanks!

Best Answer
0 Votes

hello there,i am not aware if it connects automatically ,i went down the road of doing it manualy and that worked for me,its still working ok today so i musy have done it right.regards,dutydog

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Duty Dog. How do I connect my Ionic manually toWiFi? I am not very computer savvy.

Best Answer
0 Votes

hello again,well as for computer savvy i am 72 so you can imagine how much i know,but here goes.  this is how i did it,  on my phone i have the Fitbit app,open the app.click on the blue icon at the top right corner to open the next screen which has the ionic device on.tap the picture of the watch,that takes you to the next screen which has clock,apps media,wallet,how to use,and accessories on,scrol down to wi fi settings (set up wifi) tap on that and follow instructions to set up wifi,(you will need the password for your wifi router), hope this gets you there, let me know if it works, regards dutydog, Plymouth uk  

Best Answer
0 Votes

I was able to connect to WiFi thanks to you but still blank on the weather app.

Drleck1 

Winnipeg, Canada

Best Answer
0 Votes

hello again, next thing to try is to go into the weather app and manualy put in your location as winapeg (excuse spelling) as the app has san Francisco as standard (at least on mine it does),i would also make sure you do a sync from phone to watch just to make sure its talking to each other.and check the Bluetooth is on on your phone. good luck regards dutydog,uk

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, 

Weather app is broken for me since the recent app.  I've followed lots of idead here and I appreciate the help.  My wifi is setup.  it is on a 2.4 setting.  My city is there.  But weather is blank.  I get told to sync with mobile app.  I sync with mobile app but weather stays blank. I've unsetup/reconnected my fitbit, rebooted, etc.  

It worked perfectly until last update. 

Any other ideas appreciated. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Well since my Ionic very rarely syncs, the weather app is almost useless to me.  Which is a huge disappointment because honestly it was one of the big draws for me to upgrade from my blaze.  

Best Answer
0 Votes
I just rest my WiFi and the weather app is now working!

Brian E. Lecker D.C., C.A.F.C.I.
Elmwood Chiropractic Centre
178 Henderson Hwy.
Winnipeg, MB. R2L 1L6
Ph. 204-669-6967
Fax 204-661-3465
http://www.elmwoodchiropractic.com/
Best Answer
0 Votes

not true - weather app does not work

Best Answer

any news on a fix to this terrible update?  I've given up trying to reinstall, reset, etc.  stopped wearing after 6 years of having a fitbit

Best Answer
0 Votes

May be the case on some trackers, @SunsetRunner, but it is working fine on mine. You don't say what is not working on yours.

Best Answer

After update to V2After update to V2

Not sure what else I can say. App syncs heart rate, counts steps, records sleep - but does not show weather info. All the WiFi stuff is useless bla-bla. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am trying to use the weather up and I see others that have the same issue, msg received:  Sync the Fitbit mobile app to update.  How am I suppose to do this it seems others have tried.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I’m having the same problem with my Ionic.  1st it worked only when I manually synced; then it started work ALL the time (for no apparent reason); & nowvit isn’t working at all.  I’ve tried adding locations manually, but nothing!  Come on Fitbit! Figure this out!

Best Answer
0 Votes