Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Council Spotlight Series - Meet Hilary

Meet the Fitbit Community Council: Member Spotlight

If you’ve ever visited the Fitbit Community with a question about our products or services, you’ve likely been helped by one of our Community Council members. In fact, almost half the Accepted Solutions in our forums come from these members.

This Member Spotlight Series is a chance for you to hear each Council member’s story, and to learn more about some of our most active, supportive users.

Hilary, United Kingdom

@Hilary55

About Hilary:
uk

My name is Hilary and I live in a rural area of Kent in the south east of the UK, surrounded by apple orchards, hop gardens and open fields overlooking the Medway valley. We have a fantastic footpath network – the nearest one runs just about five yards away from my front door. The downside is that I have to commute into central London every day to work – a journey of around 90 minutes each way in total by car, train and then on foot along part of the Thames Path.

How Hilary met Fitbit:
I was on a work trip to Washington DC in March 2013 and at dinner one evening, two of the other people on the trip were wearing Nike Fuel Bands. I liked the idea of a wearable device and started researching the options when I got back home. Everything I looked at seemed to have some drawbacks, but the Flex reviews were head and shoulders above those for the other devices. The only disadvantage was that it wasn't yet available in the UK, but I thought it was definitely worth waiting for. In hindsight, I wish I had waited until it arrived before setting up my FitBit account – all those steps and miles that won't count towards my lifetime achievements!

On Technology and Fitbit:
I'm not of a generation that grew up with gadgets. When I was at university you had to wind your watch manually at night, television was still in black and white and arithmetic was done in your head or calculated with pen and paper. But when I was in my second job, I came in one morning to find that my manual typewriter had been replaced by a large grey steel box and a tiny screen with luminous orange letters on a black background, next to which was an instruction manual and a pile of 8-inch floppy disks. Ever since then I have been fascinated by technology. If I had been born 20 years later I would probably have been in the IT industry.

I had used standard pedometers before, but they either fell off, or I would forget to put them on in the first place. I also found that it could be difficult to attach them to clothing without a waistband and the accuracy was very variable. I loved the idea of wearing a rechargeable device on my wrist that I could leave on all the time.

I think anything that makes it easier for people to keep track of their activity levels, set benchmarks and goals and monitor their progress has got to be a good thing. The great feature of FitBit is that there is a range of devices to suit everyone – whether they want a wristband, something they can put in their pocket or wear discreetly under their clothes. My Flex is like an extension of my conscience – it is always there as a reminder to get up and move and nags me silently to take those extra steps.

On lifestyle changes:
dog.jpgI had already made some major changes to my lifestyle over the previous year. In terms of healthier eating and regular exercise classes and gym sessions, so my Flex was a reward for myself for making significant progress. Also, my husband retired early last year and we got the dog we had been promising ourselves as soon as one of us wasn't working full-time. We rescued Morgan, a yellow Labrador and the most handsome dog in the whole world! He was 10 months old when we got him and completely untrained – 35kg (77 pounds) of pure muscle and a strength of mind to match. We are gradually overcoming most of his issues and he is much better behaved now (well, most of the time, anyway).

My job is essentially sedentary – and it's a small office so there is no chance to get in extra steps during the day. However, the Thames Path – one of the UK's long-distance footpaths – runs past the door, so I can usually walk for around 50 minutes at lunchtime along the banks of the river in a historic area near the Tower of London. I have worked out three or four different routes that I can do in my lunch hour that are quiet and virtually free of traffic. I'd much rather walk than go to the gym, especially in the summer. If I'm early for my train, I can use the time to walk the full length of the platform rather than standing still. I get some strange looks from people, and I was once stopped by a member of staff to make sure I was OK (I think she thought I was planning to jump in front of a train!) but I really don't care.

Then when I get home I take Morgan out round the fields for an hour, which helps me to get rid of the stresses of the day.

On the Fitbit Community:
I found the community just by looking round the site. I've been involved in various online communities before – from e-readers to exercise and from amateur dramatics to animal behaviour. I'm a great believer in sharing knowledge and experience and in learning from one another. If you come across a problem, the chances are that someone out there will have had the same problem in the past and can help you find the answer. That's why I spend most of my community time on the Flex Help board rather than in the Discussion sections.

Having said that, I have also met people through Fitbit who have gone on to become online friends outside the realms of the Fitbit community.

I am competitive by nature, but not particularly interested in team sports – although I do play lawn bowls regularly. I like activities where I can compete against myself and my own targets, but if someone among my friends issues a challenge or taunts me I feel honour-bound to respond. I also joined the Fitbit League and have made it to the Women's A League. My goal now is not to be relegated and to improve my position in the World Rankings month-on-month.

Advice for the Fitbit Community:
Don't be impatient. It takes time to become familiar with a new technology or device, and if something doesn't work for you straight away don't throw a tantrum and give up on it without giving it a fair chance. Take time to read the help sections as most of the answers will be there if you are prepared to look, and if you're still stuck search the Community Help forum for your device and it is likely that someone else has faced and solved the same problem. Failing that, there are CC members and Moderators all prepared to help whenever they can.

Always be prepared to accept that the problem may not lie with the device but with the person using it!

uk.jpg

The older you get, the more important a healthy lifestyle becomes. The earlier you can get into the habit of exercising – and walking is one of the best forms of exercise there is – the easier it will be to maintain throughout your life and the less likely you are to suffer from some of the major illnesses.

Equally, it is never too late to start. I am aiming to be fit and healthy for at least the next 20 years!

Best Answer
19 REPLIES 19

Well written and a wonderful way to get to know @Hilary55 and her handsome Morgan!

Thanks for being here, helping people and for letting us see a bit more about you.

Stepping in the U.S.A. since September 2013. Android 9

Best Answer

Hilary

Wonderfully written by a wonderful person that you are.

Dr.Gandhi
Best Answer

It was really nice to read your post, Hilary. I hope you realize with every positive word you write, you inspire someone out there in the world. Someone like me, after reading your post.

Thanks.

Best Answer

Hilary,

I thoroughly enjoyed this read. It was informative, but also very sincere and calm. Thanks so much for this. I look forward to continuing this great relationship we have together.

Community Moderator - English/EspañolEmerson | Community Moderator - English/Español

I run all over SF. What's your story?

Best Answer

Surrounded by hop fields? Heaven!! And I freaking love the story about how you fell in love with technology. Thanks for giving us all a little inspriation. See you around the forums!

Best Answer

@Hilary55 - Thanks so much for sharing! I so enjoyed reading your spotlight. I'm jealous that you get to walk around so much history. Great to have you here! 

Fitbit Community ModeratorAmrita | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Tips for your next healthy meal? Get cooking!

Best Answer

Hop Feilds? Awesome! This was a great read! Thanks for sharing @Hilary55 

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer
@Hilary55: great to get to know a little about you. Computers and I don't always see eye to eye so it's nice to know there are people who embrace technology out there in the community.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Hilary55Lovely to read about your background. Those 8" floppies remind me of the ICL Wordprocessors I implemented at my company in the 80's. What memories.. The big screens, no real word processor packages then. Huge printers in sound boxes..Showing my age now.

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer
0 Votes

We must be of a similar generation, Colin. I remember the first Casio calculator going on sale in the shops in the late 1970s. And when I was at university the computer filled a large room and was fed by programs on punch cards - not even any tape streamers. The computer science students had arms that brushed the ground from carrying their work around!

Hilary | UK

Charge, Aria, iPhone 4s, Mac

If this answer is helpful, please vote for it and/or mark it as a solution.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just wanted to thank everyone for their lovely comments. I really enjoyed writing the piece, but had difficulty knowing what to leave out.

Getting to know people through these profiles really helps to build a community, and I look forward to finding out more about many of you in the future.

Hilary | UK

Best Answer

very well written,   

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks, @nukec1 . One of the things I left out is that I'm a journalist and Managing Editor of two scientific magazines and three websites!

Hilary | UK

Best Answer
0 Votes

Delighted to make your acquaintance. @Hilary55 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for introducing yourself Hillary! The walk along the Thames looks so inviting. I wish I had such a historic place to walk.

Great talk about the growth of technology. My older brother was one of those computer science major with the punch cards. My favorite first device was a wordprocessing typewriter by Brother. No personal computers until I was out of college.

Hope to see you around the boards!

Best Answer

It's wonderful to have you here @Hilary55! I love your dog, so handsome. Heart I'm glad that you are part of the Fitbit Community and that you are enjoying, not only your tracker but your new and healthier lifestyle.

Cheers! Woman Very Happy

Melissa | Community Moderator, Fitbit

How are you fitbitting with your (pet) best friend? Show us!

Best Answer

Hillary,

You are a beautiful writer.  I could visualize being in England walking the path  with your dog!

Congratulations on your position in the Fitbit community.  You are most deserving.  I had to chuckle because we must have grew up in the same era!  Going from a typewriter to a computer was like night and day.

You're right it is all about researching, browsing, and looking at the help communities to find solutions to most or all our Fitbit problems.  I've had very few but I combed through the different Help forums and was lucky to find great answers!

As far as being patient, one has to realize there are a lot of people with the same problems or different ones but seeking guidance and support.  I realize people, even me at one time, have gotten frustrated with my Fitbit, but realized it could be me/the user and not the device that is the problem!

You are an inspiration to me.  I hope through my experiences with my Fitbit, my story, and interacting with the communtiy I may make a positive impact that will reach out to others!

Again, thank you for sharing your inspiring story.

Barbara Rooney

Barbara Rooney
Best Answer

Hilary,  I found your life style description motivational as well as educational. I am 70 and have been a life time fitness enthusiast. I have had my fitbit for just a month and am still finding my way around.  Dirk Baker, Ankeny, Iowa, USA

Best Answer

wow, that's great, I am retired military, still serving as a defense contractor, 

Best Answer
0 Votes