Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unclear usage of the Community site

Hi. I received a response from Customer Support today which had at its foot a pre-checked box against the words “Accept as a solution”; I tapped on the box to uncheck it and instead this led to the message automatically being treated as being accepted as a solution - the opposite of my intention. This seems to me to be really sharp and unfair practice by Fitbit. There is no reason at all why the box needs to be pre-checked and it seems deliberately designed to encourage people to tap on it in order to uncheck it. Fitbit should leave this box unchecked and then it would only attract people who genuinely and positively wanted to check it and accept the message as a solution. David

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
8 REPLIES 8

Sorry to hear this @DP456 customer service does not send this email out. And the link to accept a solution is there for your convenience and a quick way for a user to accept the post as a solution. 

The website put the check mark in in response to you clicking on accept the solution. 

Next time click on respond. 

Screenshot_20190427-150008_Gmail.jpg

This happens occasionally and it is easy for you to unmark a post as a solution by tapping on the 3 dots to the right. 

Screenshot_20190427-150330_Chrome.jpg

No need to yell and get upset. 

Also since this is about the community forum, being a user misunderstanding and not a hardware issue,  in moving the post to the community basics board. 

Best Answer

Hi Rich

Thanks for your moderated reply. The only points I’d make about your otherwise very helpful comments are that:

1. You are wrong that the website put a check mark In response to me clicking on it. My point is that the check mark is already there before a user clicks on it, thereby encouraging the user to click on it in the expectation that it will remove the check mark (see below).

ED320238-C4F6-4D06-80E7-4E0089C59C3F.jpeg

2. You are wrong about the drop down list  which I get from the three dots  It is not at all the same as the one in your illustration (see below) .I agree that it would be simple to correct if a  ‘Not the solution” option was easily and obviously available to me, but that is not the case. 

0C1383DE-4E4F-4D24-94FD-D3C311839ADB.jpeg

I don’t in the circumstances think it’s entirely fair for you to describe my points simply as “user error” or “user misunderstanding or to categorise them as “community basics” but I accept they’re not related to any hardware issue and I apologise if I inadvertently posted my warning in the wrong place.

Best Answer

I based my response on your comment about taping on the Accept as Solution that was in the email.  When the user taps the reply in the email it will not submit the preset as an accepted solution. 

Tapping on the reply will not add a checkmark and will not mark a post as a solution.

The website does not mark a post as an accepted solution without the original poster telling the website to mark it so. 

Yes the checkmark is the butt nothing gets marked as a solution unless the user taps on accept as a solution. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @DP456 and @Rich_Laue. It's nice to see you here.

@Rich_Laue, thanks for helping our friend, as well for the screenshots taken. I appreciate your efforts in helping other users.

@DP456, I'm sorry about the inconvenience experienced with our site's options. Our intention is to have an option that highlights the reply that best answers a question you've posted, as well make it easy for other Community participants to locate valuable content and answers without having to read through an entire topic.

Let me share that the box for accepted solution isn't pre-checked, as the check mark is just part of it's design and as @Rich_Laue, a post will be accepted as a solution only if a member taps on that option. I see your point of view about this situation and I've gone ahead and removed the "accepted solution" label as requested. Our team constantly works on improving our products and services, and your feedback is appreciated.

See you around!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Many thanks both @Rich_Laue and @LizzyFitbit for your very helpful comments and support. I think there is a very thin line indeed between the box being checked as part of its design and the box being pre-checked – for my part, I don’t really see any distinction. The point is that, because  the box is checked, it potentially makes  a user worried that, by replying to a message with a checked box, he or she will be accepting the message as a solution and this leaves them potentially to tap on the box to remove the check before replying -  with the counterintuitive consequence that the message is in fact accepted as a solution. There is no reason at all why the design needs to include a checked box and if that were to be removed from the design, it would avoid the problem. Thanks again for seeing my point of view about this situation.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @DP456, it's great to hear from you!

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Our team constantly works to improve our products and services, and this is definitely a great feedback which will not be taken for granted! Thanks again for the time taken in sharing this with me and let me know if you have any other question about our Community site.

Keep me posted.

Best Answer

@LizzyFitbit  I think the 'Accept As Solution' graphic (and all Fitbit graphics) is extremely clear and easy to understand. Just thought I'd add a vote for keeping it as it is, with no need to change it. 

Best Answer

Hi @JenniferJBS, it's nice to see you here.

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts about our Community Site. Fitbit loves to hear our members feedback, and I'm glad that you've had a good experience with our site.

I appreciate your comments and hope to continue seeing you around! Smiley Very Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes