Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

“About Me” privacy settings is missing.

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

The ability to change privacy for the App visibility says it’s ALWAYS Public and can’t be changed anywhere.  It’s missing. I checked in the App AND on the web based dashboard.  The web based dashboard “privacy checkup” says others can see it - I have no idea if that’s the case.

However, anyone not my friend in the APP sees nothing but “you must be friends with this person” regardless.  My profile info is important to dissuade Scammers and I want it visible.

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

It says “you must be friends with...”. Which is what I was trying to explain.  I saw no reason to put this in for a “new feature” when it’s clearly a BUG. 😜

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
15 REPLIES 15

Hi @Kata404  you try this link? click to see privacy settings. I see mine.

Stepping in the U.S.A. since September 2013. Android 14

Best Answer
0 Votes

Privacy

Personal Info

Birthday
Sex
Height

Statistics

Badges & Trophies
Lifetime Steps, Distance, and Floors
Average Daily Step Count

Graphs

Calories Intake and Burn Graph
Steps, Distance, Floors Graph
Time Active Graph
Sleep Graph
Weight Graph

Edited to fix stripped HTML.  You can see there’s no “About Me” available 
Best Answer
0 Votes

On the link that @Odyssey13  gave you above. You need to scroll over to the other side and use the drop down to change it to Private or what if you want friends to see change it to that

privacysettings.jpg

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

For the about me you will need to take it out of your dashboard. Click on the gear and go to settings. Scroll down to about me and remove it or change it to what you do not care anyone will see

Scroll down to submit

Community Council Member

Best Answer

6907ACD0-6ECD-45AC-AC10-66D9F7C0183C.jpeg

I understand that but the Bio portion - the “About Me” that allows for a small blurb about yourself is not one of those options.  Neither on the website dashboard, nor on the Mobile App.

It specifically states in the Mobile App under step average and bio that it’s always Public.  But I’ve had multiple confirmations on the mobile app that it specifically states that only Friends can see it.  I thought perhaps I could find a way to toggle it Visible but to no avail.

D4CE3937-2CB3-4220-A16B-4339468B76C9.jpeg

Best Answer
0 Votes

Ok I see what you are saying now.  I guess its not an option. 😮

Will remove mine now as its directed at the spammers.😐

Community Council Member

Best Answer

Yeah mines pretty lengthy...  who do we talk to to get it fixed?? 😭

Best Answer
0 Votes

LOL

You could post it in the features forum if it gets the votes it could be changed

Features Forum

Community Council Member

Best Answer

Hey Julie,

I'm having trouble wrapping my head around what's going with the 'About Me' section's privacy as well! I see where it says this info is "Always Public", when I view my profile as 'anyone' on my computer, it shows my About Me section, but when I view other people's profiles, it says "You must be friends with this person to see their About Me." as it says for your profile at the time I'm writing this. So yeah, I'm all kinds of confused! Why is it telling me it's always Public, and also telling me I have to be friends with someone to see their's??? Can someone tell me if what it says on my profile?

Best Answer

It says “you must be friends with...”. Which is what I was trying to explain.  I saw no reason to put this in for a “new feature” when it’s clearly a BUG. 😜

Best Answer

so it's not actually public...? (cool!) ...but sucks for anyone wanting it to be public. i thought maybe because i first joined long ago (5 yrs) that my settings were different and all these new cats were allowed to make their About Me section private

Best Answer
0 Votes

Nope it’s not.  I’m glad that works for you but I want mine to be viewed because I have a directed message to warn off fake accounts.  Making it work as described, and/or getting a working toggle would be nice.  But I won’t hold my breath.

Best Answer

thanks for helping me determine the true visibility of my About Me section (another Fitbit FAIL).

now i'm curious what your direct message says, and want to ask you how or what experience you have that you believe it actually works, to keep fake accounts away, as I assume spammers and scammers proceed with their deceit, regardless of any warnings or messages

Best Answer

It doesn’t stop them.  Nothing short of deleting my account will stop them 🙄  It says (paraphrased) : if you are are wearing some else’s face and send me a friend request, I will report as harassment.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I agree with you. The spammer/scammer disregard everything in much the same way as robo-callers.  Every single profile will be hit because all profiles are a fitbit.com/userid.  As they collect data reflecting what new and hacked profiles are most selected by true but careless users as "friends", there may be more targeted attacks. The saddest thing is fitbit like phone carriers can and will not stop their intrusions because the activity users are annoyed with scew the data to make Fitbit or carrier look more successful than actual. 

Master of Radiculopathy
Best Answer
0 Votes