Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Account security

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Last year my girlfriend bought me a Fitbit, it was a great gift and I used it frequently until about a week ago. The device totally stopped working, and was stuck in a perpetual 'half-updating' state. I tried updating it online, but it would just hang and never finish. Upon logging in, however, I noticed someone had changed all my details from me (a ~37 year old male in Maryland) to Penny T (a 20-something woman in Los Angeles). This was a little weird so I contacted customer support.

I very much doubt the guys name on the online chat was 'Jake'. He understood very little English and trying to communicate with him took a long time. By the end of it, though, he seemed to think that I was the one trying to scam a free FitBit out of the company. Apparently totally changing someones personal ID through their account is easy, and raises zero flags with the dashboard. I never received any warnings or notifications this had taken place, and now ... the warranty on my account has shifted to this NEW device, which someone else is using, therefore voiding my existing devices warranty. 

This morning I got yet another email from support saying there's nothing they can do, and that my FitBit is useless. I have to say ... I am totally unsatisfied with both the online security measures, and the replacement policy. Has this happened to anyone else? I really don't know what to do about it, as it seems as if FitBit has accepted this new persons ID as my own.

Moderator edit: title for clarity

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 REPLY 1

@waynestock01 I'm sorry to hear about the unauthorized changes made on your account. I checked in with our Support team and noticed you already have an open case from today 9/24. Rest assured, your case has been escalated to our Security team that will be able to assist you further. Please expect a response from them in about 24 hours, so keep a lookout for an email to this address. If you have any questions, please let me know. 

Want to get more steps? Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Discussion Forum.

Best Answer