Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Active Users Showing as Inactive to Friends

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Update 10/24/2017: Hi everyone, we made some further updates that have resolved this issue and friends who are currently active should be visible. Thanks for your reports! 

Update 7/13/17: Everyone -- I moved various threads relating to this topic here to keep this discussion organized.

I followed up with our Social team today. They are well aware of the issue and are working closer toward a resolution. At this time, I don't have a specific time-frame for when this will get resolved, but will update all of you when I receive another update. 

Your patience is super appreciated!

---------------------------------

Hey pals! Thanks to everyone who chimed in and reported this. Our team is aware of the issue and is working on a fix. Sorry for the inconvenience Robot Sad.

I'll update the thread when I get more info. Appreciate your patience!

Best Answer
84 REPLIES 84

Thanks @CarlosCFitbit

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

Support just confirmed that the opt in/out of rankings feature is broken (missing) now. no ETA on a fix or even if they intend to fix it, but they are aware it has left many accounts in a broken state.

i disable friend-rankings in the winter. i have been doing this for a few years now. i tried to opt in this week and found that i am perma-out due to this bug.

rankings IMO is the only real motivational feature of this app. please fix it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I gave a fitbit to my great-niece, so I could  help to motivate her.  I keep seeing her as inactive and I assumed that she wasn't using her fitbit, but now I see I may have been doing her an injustice.  Please fix this issue, it will make a difference to family members who are trying to help each other.

Retired disabled, Charge5, Android, Win 10
Best Answer

I discovered that I show as inactive with my friend who just got a fitbit, I have had mine since christmas, she shows as active with me. Please fix this!!

Best Answer

It's now April 23rd. Is this bug fixed yet? If not, how long will it take?

Best Answer

For information, I have attached the most recent response from the Fitbit team below to my recent query. I can see my friends, but they cannot see me!! Fitbit put huge emphasis on sharing with friends and the motivation from comparing, competing and setting challenges for each other, but this bug prevents any of this. The problem has been known for a very long time.

Their standard reply follows.....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you so much for your reply, we're sorry for the frustration that you have experienced regarding that you appear inactive to your friends. Let's go ahead to clarify this situation associated with your Fitbit One.

To better assist you, we would like to let you know that our engineers are aware of the problem and are working to resolve your situation as soon as possible. However, we know that it had been a long time waiting for a solution. As soon as we fixed the issue we will let you know.

We appreciate your patience, and we are sorry for the inconvenience it's caused. 

We're sorry for any inconvenience it's caused. We appreciate your patience and look forward to getting you back on track. 

Sincerely,

The Fitbit Team

Moderator edited: personal information

Best Answer

I have a group of 20+ friends/clients and we post our rankings in a facebook group, unfortunately a couple of people have this same problem and are missing out. I hope this gets sorted soon.

Best Answer

Following this.

Having the same issue.

I want to add that is ridiculous. This is an issue that started a year ago.

Maybe you need to wake up your programmers.

Or maybe create new profiles for the affected people and copie all the data to it.

I'm in IT, i can't understand this!

Find a solution

Best Answer

Quick question - does anyone from Fitbit management get to know about the failure to fix this?

Actions:

1. A competent programmer reads the code to find where a user is flagged as inactive.

2. Look at the data base record for that person to find why the test is incorrect

3a. Either: alter a few lines of code to correct the test

3b. Or: write a line of SQL to rectify the misleading data "UPDATE table WHERE ..."

4. Test to confirm changes work.

5. Update for real. The end.

Best Answer

Please Fitbit team fix this issue! I have this problem for so long, this was my motivation my friends "battleing" each other and I am still "not active" in their friendslist. It's so frustrating!! And your product was a gift, quite expensive for us and then it is not working well - I am really disappointed 😞

Best Answer

This is ridiculous that this has not been fixed yet.  It has been several months for my wife showing up as inactive despite doing challenges and syncing daily and it's been over a year for others.

Best Answer

I have emailed them again and pointed out to them this chat thread.

If I get no reply, I see there's numerous "chiefs" on their board, so will email them one by one. 😉

squeaky wheel

Best Answer

Hi Brian,

We'd be glad to assist to your concern about active users showing as inactive to friends.

Thanks for letting us know about this issue and for providing as well, suggestions and resolutions for the issue. 

At this point, kindly be advised that our engineers are aware of the problem and are working to resolve it as quickly as possible.

We're sorry for any inconvenience it's caused. We appreciate your patience and look forward to getting you back on track.

Please let us know if there's anything we may do to assist you in the meantime.

Sincerely,
Ronaldo and the Fitbit Team
--
Reply directly to this email to update your case. #18594203
Join the growing Fitbit Community! Get answers. Stay motivated. Find Fitbit friends.

ref:_00D40N2lj._500331882ZL:ref

Brian McFarlane Bodycoach <fitfiguresgym@gmail.com>
08:40 (0 minutes ago)

to fitbit-support

Hi Ronaldo,
Thank you for your reply, communication is golden.
Yes in the mean time I would suggest you or someone official goes onto that thread to let them know and probably many others that you are working on it.

And give us a time frame?

Cheers
Brian.

Best Answer

Update from Fitbit support

https://contact.fitbit.com
00:17 (7 hours ago)

to me

Hi Brian, 

Thanks for getting back to us. 

In regards to your inquiry, as of the moment we do not have an exact time frame when will this issue be fixed, rest assured that our engineers are aware of the problem and are working to resolve it as quickly as possible. 

We sincerely apologize about the inconvenience. Please let us know if you need any further assistance in the meantime. 

Sincerely,
Purity Salve M. and the Fitbit Team

Best Answer
0 Votes

Just found out I've been inactive.  Does todays update address the problem? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

my dashboard is not working, it was fine yesterday but has been unable to load all day

Best Answer
0 Votes

It seems as though this has been an issue for .... a year or so?  It is incredibly frustrating.  I would not have bought my sister and niece fitbits if I knew this wasn't working, and from the history I've read, I seriously wonder if FitBit is actually able to fix it.  I know I sound incredibly negative, and yes, I love my fitbit - but if they are going to advertise this function, they should fix it or tell people it's no longer a feature.

Best Answer
Failing for a year !!! – I do not believe any bug could take so long to diagnose and fix, particularly one which so impacts users and is so contrary to your marketing messages.

There really are only two possibilities here.

1. Either: the programmers do not have the necessary skills - so you educate or recruit or hire in someone for a few days
2. Or: nobody is really working on a solution
Any programmer I have ever known would pop in on a Saturday in their own time and fix it, for personal satisfaction and pride in their expertise.

Is the Chief Technology Officer of Fitbit (Eric Friedman) aware of this situation?
Please Eric send them an email telling them to fix it by Friday, and could a senior manager from the Fitbit company respond on this Forum.
Thank you.
Best Answer

5-14, still not working, very frustrating

Best Answer