Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Active minutes don't match

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My phone and watch say I have 32 active minutes for today.

The web dashboard says I have 16.

Sync is up to date.

Best Answer
0 Votes
6 REPLIES 6

@Cline -

What device do you have?

RETIRED Enterprise Computing / "IT Guy" - Southern California - Marine Staff Sergeant 1970-78
Apple Watch 6 - iPhone 8 (iOS 16.6) - FitBit app 3.87 - MacBook Air (macOS Catalina)
Best Answer
0 Votes

I have a Versa 2

Best Answer
0 Votes

Today they are off again in THE OTHER DIRECTION

My watch says I have 9 Active Minutes.

The web dashboard says I have 20 Active Minutes

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Cline -

You are seeing the traditional "Active Minutes" on the web dashboard.

Your device and mobile app are showing the new "Active Zone Minutes" (AZM).

FitBit has apparently rethought its definition of "activity" when the user's device is either the Charge 3, Ionic or any of the Versa family.

It used to be "Is your body active".

It is now "Is your heart active and how active is it".

You receive one AZM for each minute your heart rate averages within your Fat Burn zone.

You receive two AZM for each minute your heart rate averages within either your Cardio or Peak zones.

For me, yesterday's web dashboard shows 127 Active Minutes (121 of which were from two treadmill sessions of approximately one hour each).

My mobile app heart rate page for yesterday shows 59 minutes in Fat Burn, 79 minutes in Cardio and 5 minutes in Peak - 59 + (84 * 2) = 227 AZM. The Today screen in the mobile app shows 227, verifying my calculation.

As a side note, at the same time AZM were introduced, the heart rate zone range calculations were changed. The new calculation incorporates Heart Rate Reserve (HRR).

Traditional formula which are straight fixed percentages (50, 70 and 85%) of your Max Heart Rate which is defined as subtracting your age from 220. For me, as a 68 year old male, my Max Heart Rate is 152.

Heart Rate Reserve. Subtracting your resting heart rate from your traditional max heart rate results in that reserve.
     40% of the reserve is added to your resting heart rate to establish the beginning of the Fat Burn Zone.
     60% of the reserve is added to your resting heart rate to establish the beginning of the Cardio Zone.
     85% of the reserve is added to your resting heart rate to establish the beginning of the Peak Zone.

The chart below shows my traditional and HRR zone breakpoints.

Screen Shot 2020-08-27 at 3.37.36 PM.png

You can see your zone definitions in the mobile app by tapping on your account icon at the top left of the Today screen. From the Account page, scroll down and tap "Activity & Wellness" and then tap "Heart Health".

I hope this rather long post helps and didn't put you to sleep.

Good luck.

RETIRED Enterprise Computing / "IT Guy" - Southern California - Marine Staff Sergeant 1970-78
Apple Watch 6 - iPhone 8 (iOS 16.6) - FitBit app 3.87 - MacBook Air (macOS Catalina)
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks MrMarv!

Is there anyway to switch my dashboard to use the same caluclations as the watch? Its annoying to have them be different.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Cline -

Two things -

Firstly, in the future, if you want to attract the attention on someone on the boards, start with the ampersand character and select their name. The fact you mentioned them will be placed in their notifications page and depending on their board settings send them an email. I have emails for that turned off because I'm retired and check my notifications page regularly throughout the day. In this case I just happened to remember I responded to this post.

Secondly - unfortunately it appears that FitBit is not going to do that even though the web dashboard knows exactly what kind of device you have:

Screen Shot 2020-08-25 at 10.25.12 AM.png

Just another of FitBit's annoying inconsistencies.

Best Answer
0 Votes