Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatically Calculate Activity Calories

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Why doesn't Fitbit automatically calculate the calories burned after an activity and duration are entered?  Every time I enter an activity, I have to go to another website to calculate the calories burned from that activity, then return to Fitbit and manual enter those calories.  Other websites have the ability to automatically calculate calories burned when an activity and duration are entered. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
8 REPLIES 8

I don't know why you think Fitbit does not calculate calories burned.  I expect you just don't know where to find it.  Look in the exercise summary under the exercise tile on phone app.

Before posting, re-read to see if it would make sense to someone else not looking at your Fitbit or phone.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I am using my laptop in lieu of the phone app.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Spokes1969 wrote:
I am using my laptop in lieu of the phone app.

Windows 10 app, or fitbit.com dashboard?

Before posting, re-read to see if it would make sense to someone else not looking at your Fitbit or phone.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Spokes1969   I apologize if I am misreading your post.  You posted this on the fitbit.com (web dashboard) forum.  It sounds like you are using the log function, entering activities manually. This is the only method where you are expected to estimate your calorie burn.  Manual logging is necessary for older model Fitbits that don't have heart rate monitors.

I looked at your profile and I can see that you joined Fitbit in 2020.  If that is the case, then your Fitbit calculates calorie burn, including activity calorie burn, just by wearing it.  You get more details when you use the Exercise app on the Fitbit itself or using SmartTrack (auto-recognition)..  What model Fitbit do you use?  I think we can help you get more from your Fitbit.

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Sense 2, Luxe, Aria 2 | iOS | Mac OS

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

After reading above post by @LZeeW , I think I understand better.  But I just tried manually logging a walk from fitbit.com, and the calorie burn is an optional entry, so if you don't enter calories, it will estimate them based on your personal info and the other parameters you enter.

But I never use manual logging.  I don't know what model Fitbit you are using so I can't give more details, but you will get a more accurate calorie burn estimate if you use the Exercise App on your wrist, telling it when you start and stop.  That will use your heart rate data for more accurate calorie burn.

See How do I track my workouts with my Fitbit device? 

Best Answer

That may be a better option.  Thanks for your follow up reply.

Best Answer

I was using a Charge 3.  The recent trouble it has been giving me has escalated:  I can't read the screen, and when I can it won't respond to my attempts to change screens to a fitness activity.  So now I don't even wear it.  That's why I am manually entering my data.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Dashboard/manually log in Food, Activities, Weight, etc. 

Best Answer
0 Votes