Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calorie deficit difference between dashboard and intake/outtake "food" screen

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I know this has been talked about before, just wondering if there has been an update on the "fix". 

On the dashboard my "calories left" is 584 (and this also shows on the website) 

When I got to calorie in vs out to log food my calories left is 21.   

From what I understand the first screen is correct?   

Any updates on this fix? 

Thanks and I'm sorry if this is a repetitive question 

Best Answer
0 Votes
7 REPLIES 7

@Matesmom -

------ edit ------

Ahhhh, man - I read the post wrong, though a lot of it still applies. However -

The main dashboard figure is how much to reach your total intake goal - how they calculate that, who knows.

The food plan figures, include calories in, calories out, your food plan calorie deficit and estimates of the rest of the day's in and out based on experience. Unless you pick the "sedentary" plan in which the estimates are reigned in a bit.

If you have forgotten, the first panel is the "Food Plan" panel and is the one you referenced, the second panel is the "Calories in vs out" panel and shows those numbers and has the gauge and the third panel is the "Plan Summary" panel that shows, among other things, the daily plan deficit.

Sorry for the confusion

------ edit end ------

How many minutes from midnight at the time you were doing the comparison?

The calories left calculation is going to include your BMR - Basic Metabolic Rate - the number of calories burned just to keep your body going; breathing, keeping the brain and other organs fed, etc. I suspect most of the difference will be found there if you were not already taking into consideration BMR.

BMR is an estimate using gender, age and weight as elements of the calculation, therefore it may be different from individual to individual.

My BMR is 1.2 calories a minute while my wife's BMR is calculated at 1.1  calories per minute. If you don't know yours, go to the web dashboard's Activity and Stats panel and look at your average calorie burn when sleeping. It will display in 15 minute periods.

Screen Shot 2018-01-01 at 1.42.36 PM.png

The 18 minutes shown is my 1.2 per minute times 15 minutes. That is also 72 per hour.

RETIRED Enterprise Computing / "IT Guy" - Southern California - Marine Staff Sergeant 1970-78
Apple Watch 6 - iPhone 8 (iOS 16.6) - FitBit app 3.87 - MacBook Air (macOS Catalina)
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Matesmom -

Or maybe I wasn't looking at the issue correctly.

Are you speaking about one of these two images on the main dashboard?

Dash.JPG

The left is called the "Food Plan" tile and the right is called the "Calories In vs Out" file.

They both match the following panels on the log page:

Food Plan:

FoodPlan.JPG

Calories In vs Out:

InOut.JPG

With the exception that I burned a few calories between the time I took the first image and the others, they match.

And I believe the calculations are clearly taking into consideration BMR and the plan deficit. BTW, I use the sedentary plan because of my job and it seems to suit me.

RETIRED Enterprise Computing / "IT Guy" - Southern California - Marine Staff Sergeant 1970-78
Apple Watch 6 - iPhone 8 (iOS 16.6) - FitBit app 3.87 - MacBook Air (macOS Catalina)
Best Answer
0 Votes
The first screen that comes up on the phone app..that has all the tiles.
The one tile that says "cals in", has a number and shows how many are left

The second screen is the one with the bar graph that has "food" at the top
and
says "TODAY-with cals in and cals out and then what's left.

Right now my first screen shows I have 602 calories remaining and I'm in
the "green".

Second screen shows 158 cals left and it's turquoise in color.
\
I've had a fitbit for 3+ years and I never had this difference until I had
an update issue a few months
ago on my android phone.

I'm fairly certain it's the first screen that I should be following (as I
did in the past) but just want to make
sure.
Best Answer
0 Votes

The first screen that comes up on the phone app..that has all the tiles.  

The one tile that says "cals in", has a number and shows how many are left 

The second screen is the one with the bar graph that has "food" at the top and 
says "TODAY-with cals in and cals out and then what's left. 

Right now my first screen shows I have 602 calories remaining and I'm in the "green". 

Second screen shows 158 cals left and it's turquoise in color. 
\
I've had a fitbit for 3+ years and I never had this difference until I had an update issue a few months
ago on my android phone.  

I'm fairly certain it's the first screen that I should be following (as I did in the past) but just want to make 
sure. 
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Matesmom -

Comparing your prose to my images below, it looks like your dashboard page may not be taking your plan deficit into consideration and your Food page is. Especially, if like me, you have a 500 calorie plan deficit. I don't have to be that aggressive, but I want to get that post-surgery and holiday weight off fast.

I always use this to verify: Add up my calories out and remaining BMR for the day - then subtract from that calories in and my plan deficit. What remains is what you can eat. I'll show the actual calculation after some screen shots of my phone.

The gauge and bar sometime appear to be a little flexible with the numbers; like 100 calories or so when calculating "in the zone".

From my phone; they have changed a little from my previous post because I ate lunch (560 calories) -

Dashboard:

phone_dash.png

Food page:

phone_log.png

They match and the calories left appears to take in consideration my expected BMR for the rest of the day of 648, Calories out of 1691, my 500 calorie food plan deficit and Calories In of 1271.

648 + 1691 - 500 - 1271 = 568 - - - pretty close to 571

And the bar chart pretty much matches what the gauge on the web with the "Goal Zone" label.

And no vigorous estimating has taken place because I have the sedentary Daily Calorie Estimate Setting. It doesn't play with guessing what my additional calories burn is going to be based on past history. And doesn't guess that I am going to feed me either. It uses the real numbers I put in. as you can see by my documenting the calculation. And only dynamically changes if you burn a little more than BMR because you walked around the office enough to burn some extract calories. Of hit the treadmill when you get home buy before dinner. Then dinner changes the numbers again.

Bottom line. Yes it looks like the Android app still has an issue, compared to the iOS version.

Best Answer
0 Votes

With all do respect.  I shouldn't have to manually do any calculating to figure this out.   

And I don't believe my question was answered. Seeing there is an issue with the app should I be referring to the first screen (with tiles)  or the second screen (where the bar graph is). 

Best Answer

@Matesmom - 

1. Since the "Food" page with the bar chart includes your plan deficit of apparently 500 calories, that is the one to go by.
  2. You don't have to do any calculating - I did it for you Smiley Wink

Best Answer
0 Votes