Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calories left decline

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Can someone help explain why my "Calories Left" declines even if I haven't logged any food or eaten anything? I watch the calories left go down and down, minute by minute and I haven't done anything. This is totally demotivating and at this rate I won't be able to eat anything. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
6 REPLIES 6

Hello @AEA11! Welcome to the Community.

I'd like to take a closer look into the situation. Could you post a screen shot of the calories declining so that I can see exactly what you mean? That way I'd be able to find the best way to proceed.

Look forward to your reply.

Lanuza | Community Moderator

Remember to vote for posts that helped you out! Tired of the same workout music? Try a Podcast! 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have been jumping back and forth in my mind about replying, as I don't want to confuse the issue even more. But maybe my observations can help you get the answer you need, and me since I have always wondered if I was interpreting the calculation correctly.

It seems to me that the Fitbit app is always estimating your future calorie burn based on past performance against expected calorie intake.

So, if it is expecting you to eat some more, but not exercise, then the calories to go will go down.

After reading you post the first time, I actually eye-balled my app for a full minute and watched the number go down 2 calories.

I just took a short walk after performing a sync to the app -113 steps. The calories burned went up 10 but the calories remaining only went up 6.

Once again, the application appears to continually performing estimates.

For some reason, I have this little tingle in the back of my head that there is a setting to stop the application from estimating and only use hard facts, like actual calories in and actual calories burned, even if those are truly estimates, right? IF the application did that, it would lead me to believe that the "calories left" number would only go down when you logged a food or only went up when you went stepping (except for those few calories an hour you burn just because you are still breathing).

And while I was sitting down and "crafting" my response, calories burned went up another 15 and remaining went down 1.

Like I said, I think it is continually estimating, and I have no idea what kind of algorithm it uses. I suspect it is a bit of a trade secret.

RETIRED Enterprise Computing / "IT Guy" - Southern California - Marine Staff Sergeant 1970-78
Apple Watch 6 - iPhone 8 (iOS 16.6) - FitBit app 3.87 - MacBook Air (macOS Catalina)
Best Answer

Thank you. Oddly, this makes sense. I prefer hard numbers (in and out), and this algorithim is totally confusing if I'm not wearing my FitBit (the band bothers me) and just using the food tracker. 

Best Answer

Looks like may rambling post earlier was close to what is actually happening. On the food log web page check out these two settings and what they do to the "I can still eat" and "Goal Zone" displays controlled by the left and right arrows in the Food Plan section.

Screen Shot 2017-09-22 at 8.01.04 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-09-22 at 8.01.20 PM.png

Check out the "I can still eat" differences. First the personalized and then the sedentary.

This is the personalized plan in action.This is the personalized plan in action.

And now the sedentaryAnd now the sedentary

RETIRED Enterprise Computing / "IT Guy" - Southern California - Marine Staff Sergeant 1970-78
Apple Watch 6 - iPhone 8 (iOS 16.6) - FitBit app 3.87 - MacBook Air (macOS Catalina)
Best Answer

@AEA11 wrote:

Thank you. Oddly, this makes sense. I prefer hard numbers (in and out), and this algorithim is totally confusing if I'm not wearing my FitBit (the band bothers me) and just using the food tracker. 

If you are still tracking this thread I wanted to let you know that I went ahead and changed my food plan setting to sedentary and the "calories left" acts more in line with what you were hoping for. There is still some "estimating" going on, but it is not as drastic as the personalized version.

As far as the bands, I was a little uncomfortable with the stock Alta HR band with the buckle and found a stainless steel mesh band with magnetic clasp on Amazon from Oitom. Very comfortable as it is infinitely adjustable and being mesh allows your skin to breathe. 

Also, maybe more to your liking, my wife found a holder for her Alta that allows it to clip to her waistband, similar to the original Fitbit Zip.

Best Answer

Hey @MrMarv and @AEA11.

@AEA11 Glad to know that @MrMarv's post did help you. If you want, perhaps you could click on the 'Accept as Solution' button below the post that did help you. It would find other users having the same question have an easier time finding the answer they need.

@MrMarv, I have to, again, say that your posts are very enjoyable and helpful. Thanks for sticking around and helping so much.

Feel free to let me know if there are any questions. 

Lanuza | Community Moderator

Remember to vote for posts that helped you out! Tired of the same workout music? Try a Podcast! 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes