Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you ever see a friend's daily steps?

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.
I understand the seven days step thing and the challenges. This is my question. Is there any way to see how many steps your friends have for that day at any given time if you aren't in a challenge?
Best Answer
80 REPLIES 80

Hi, I'm new to Fitbit with my Charge 2. How can I see my friends daily steps?  The reason three of us bought these was to compete each day to keep ourselves motivated. But I can't figure out how to set this up. Please help. 

Best Answer

P.S. We need steps for a day, not average over 7 days.  

Average over 7 days is highly DEMOTIVATING when I've been inactive for a day or two due to sickness or travel!!

Best Answer

A very warm welcome to the Fitbit Community @TashaE!

It is not possible to see the daily steps of your friends. Perhaps you could support this feature suggestion to get be able to see your friend's daily steps by voting or commenting on it. 

Hope to see you around! 

Lanuza | Community Moderator

Remember to vote for posts that helped you out! Tired of the same workout music? Try a Podcast! 🙂

Best Answer

That's exactly why we bought ours... it was to do the challenges.... only to find out that you really don't know where your "friend" stands with steps taken. Kind of sucks!  We both returned them to Best Buy... we will keep searching for a solution/replacement. Sorry Fitbit... pretty weak (in that area)

Best Answer

Welcome to the  Forums @GAD2469!

Thanks for sharing your feedback. Please do know that we're always looking for ways to improve and take all comments seriously.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Remember to vote for posts that helped you out! Tired of the same workout music? Try a Podcast! 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

the request for friends daily steps looks like it has been going on for a couple of years....no changes in site I guess?! 😞

Maybe try a software update!? 

Best Answer

Welcome to the Forums @d.mooooodee!

At this moment, there aren't any updates on the matter. If such a feature is implemented, we will be sure to let every of our users know.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@d.mooooodee,

Welcome to the community!

Go look at your friends page, click on the name for your friend.  This will take you to their profile page, from there you should be able to see their steps for the past 30 days (assuming they allow it in their privacy settings), hover over each bar and you'll get the step count for that day.  It'll look like this:

fitbit-30daygraph.jpg

@GAD2469,

I'm confused.  While the leaderboard on your friends list does not give you daily steps, the leaderboard in the challenges gives you a total for the challenge (which really makes more sense, you want to know how they're doing on the challenge, not necessarily how they doing today), they look like this:

fitbit-challenge-leaderboard.jpg

I blocked out the names for privacy, but rest assured your friends' names will be on each bar.

I hope this helps.

Frank | Washington, USA

Fitbit One, Ionic, Charge 2, Alta HR, Blaze, Surge, Flex, Flex 2, Zip, Ultra, Flyer, Aria, Aria 2 - Windows 10, Windows Phone

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

That does not work.

Best Answer

Hi @MananShah!

If you do not mind me asking, what exactly doesn't work? There have been several posts in the thread. Knowing what you're referring to would be helpful to determine if and how we can help you.

Look forward to your reply. Let me know if there are any questions.

Best Answer
0 Votes
To clarify, you can see a friends daily steps if in a challenge. Other than
that you can only see the running 6 day total. My understanding is that
this same issue has been ongoing for years now.

Thank you
Best Answer
Don't understand why Fitbit doesn't include that in their software....that's what your users want!!

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

@GAD2469,

Okay, before you come to conclusions based on other folks' assessments about what works and what doesn't, please humor me and try this from your computer (since the profile page uses Flash and that's not available in some mobile browsers):

1. Go to your friends page (again, on your computer, like click on that link).
  2. Find the friend that you're curious about, click on their name.
  3. This will take you to their profile page, this is a link to mine.
  4. If your friend's privacy settings allow it, you should be able to see their 30 day step graph (mine is visible to everyone).  Move your mouse over today, and you'll get a little message (tooltip) that gives you the figure for today.

It'll look like this:

fitbit-30daygraph.jpg

See the 4377 steps for 'today' since I did this a number of days ago.  So not only can you get your friends' step total for today, you can get it for the last 30 days.

Please try this and if you encounter problems, by all means, feel free to post (with screenshots) so that we may be able to narrow down where you may be getting hiccups.

@d.mooooodee,

Have you tried the instructions from above?  I think most folks prefer to have the 7 day running total (it's more meaningful) on the leaderboard, especially when you consider that many of us have friends in different time zones (what does 'today' really mean if I have a friend in Britain whose day ends 8 hours earlier).

I hope this helps.

Frank | Washington, USA

Fitbit One, Ionic, Charge 2, Alta HR, Blaze, Surge, Flex, Flex 2, Zip, Ultra, Flyer, Aria, Aria 2 - Windows 10, Windows Phone

Best Answer

I'm so glad that you asked this.  My work colleague and I hooked our fitbits up yesterday hoping that we could see each others steps, stats. etc and like many have mentioned below, use these to push on to do more.  Especially as we're both getting back into our fitness.  

I was so disappointed to see that this isn't something that the fitbit team have focused on and made accessible.  The message function isn't that useful as we sit next to each other, we are both somewhat disappointed now.  Fingers crossed this will be an update to the app soon. 

Kind regards, 

Best Answer

@JuleJ,

Did you try my instructions above?  Specifically, have your friend (from their computer), look at your profile.  Provided your privacy settings allow it, your friend should be able to see your steps, floors, and distance for the preceding 30 days.

I hope this helps.

Frank | Washington, USA

Best Answer
What we have done on occasion is a work around. Do a screen shot in the
morning of you friends list and track it that way.
Best Answer
0 Votes
That's pretty cool idea. Now they will all know just how close to a heart
attack I really am!
Best Answer
0 Votes

@GAD2469,

I'm consistently surprised that I keep responding to you and you have yet to acknowledge my response.  If you're reading this in e-mail, humor me and click on this link and read it from the browser.  I'm not sure if you don't understand or just don't want to respond to me, so I'll try again with screenshots:

First, make sure that you're logged in to Fitbit.com.  If you're not logged in, then log in with the same account details that you used to establish your account.

Second, go to your leaderboard...  That means, actually click on that link so that it launches on your browser: https://www.fitbit.com/friends.  You'll see your friends sorted by step count, this is what my entry looks like:

fitbit-leaderboard-you.JPG

Next, click on the 'You' (or your friend's name) on that leaderboard; this will take you the profile page.  In fact, this is your (Greg D.'s) profile page.  From here, if privacy settings permit, you should be able to see their 30 day history for step, distance and floors.  Naturally, you should be able to see your own stats (provided you're logged in to Fitbit.com).  It'll look something like this:

fitbit-30daygraph.jpg

So this is far more information than someone's daily steps.  If you want to know the specific number for a particular day, just hover (move your mouse pointer) over the bar for that day and you'll get that number (see '4377 steps' on the image above).  If you want to see the stat for distance or floors, just click on that option (top of the graph) and then hover over the bar graph.

No need for screenshots.  No need for workarounds.  It already works.

Now, some browsers may not be able to display that graph (since it requires Flash), but you should be able to see it from any computer.

I hope this helps.

Frank | Washington, USA

Best Answer

The Jawbone app has had this feature for years. A much better app, although the fitness bands are not as well made.

Best Answer
0 Votes

But it's not in the app. That's what everyone seems to be clamoring to have.

Best Answer