Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cardio Fitness seems off

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi! 

I bought my Fitbit Versa about 2 weeks ago. 

I was wondering whether you could tell me if I am doing something wrong in relation to my Cardio Fitness score. 

I'm a female. 

I am 53 kg (22% BFM) and 168cm. My BPM is 61. I am 24 years old. 

I go to gym at least 4 times a week (sometimes more). 

I am an avid runner.

And yet my Cardio Fitness score is 39. 

It was suggested to me to run outside (as opposed to on a treadmill which I usually do) - and I did today. My run was 7km in 44 minutes. 

My CF score has not improved.

I consider myself generally fit so the number does not bother me as much as it confuses me.

Is it because I have average cardio fitness compared to all females using Fitbit? Or all females of my measurements using Fitbit? Or a female average in general? 

Thanks for your answer. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@khem00  I have a few insights for you

• In order to get a better estimate of your cardio fitness score, you need to do GPS connected tracked runs. 
  • It will take multiple tracked GPS runs to refine your score.
  • Try to do your runs on level ground.  Fitbit's algorithms do look at heart rate changes over distance and time -- running uphill will increase your heart rate compared to running level.  And while your Fitbit knows you are running uphill because you get flights of stairs, this information is not used in calculating cardio fitness.
  • Do not track a treadmill run on "Run" using connected GPS to get your score.  Your distance will be "0" -- I know that seems obvious, but a different user with a similar question was doing exactly that.

Here is a link to the Help article that has more information about your Cardio Fitness Score.

The following is meant to inspire you, not embarrass you -- when I was your age, my runs were 10 km in 45 minutes.  Three knee surgeries later, I don't run so much.  But I still have an excellent cardio fitness score for my age.

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Sense 2, Luxe, Aria 2 | iOS | Mac OS

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
3 REPLIES 3

@khem00  I have a few insights for you

• In order to get a better estimate of your cardio fitness score, you need to do GPS connected tracked runs. 
  • It will take multiple tracked GPS runs to refine your score.
  • Try to do your runs on level ground.  Fitbit's algorithms do look at heart rate changes over distance and time -- running uphill will increase your heart rate compared to running level.  And while your Fitbit knows you are running uphill because you get flights of stairs, this information is not used in calculating cardio fitness.
  • Do not track a treadmill run on "Run" using connected GPS to get your score.  Your distance will be "0" -- I know that seems obvious, but a different user with a similar question was doing exactly that.

Here is a link to the Help article that has more information about your Cardio Fitness Score.

The following is meant to inspire you, not embarrass you -- when I was your age, my runs were 10 km in 45 minutes.  Three knee surgeries later, I don't run so much.  But I still have an excellent cardio fitness score for my age.

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Best Answer

Hi! 

Thank you for your very helpful reply. 

I think the issue may be that turn on the 'Run' feature on my Fitbit whilst running on treadmill - I did not know that is not supposed to be done.

Your time for 10k was definitely very impressive, I am trying to juggle post-graduate law school, work and squeeze in some exercise so I don't think I am ever going to be quite at your level (sadly). 

Sorry to read about your knees issues, hope they are doing better now. 

Once again, thank you very much for you help. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@khem00  If you have been doing treadmill runs using the Run option, try correcting the exercise type in the Exercise Details.  On the app dashboard, tap on your exercise tile then tap on one of the treadmill runs incorrectly tracked.  When you go to the exercise details, you can tap on Categorize Exercise and change run to treadmill.  I think that will help your cardio fitness score.

It might take a few weeks of GPS connected runs to straighten out your cardio fitness score.  Be patient and visit this thread again if you need more help.

You certainly have your hands full and I wish you luck.  At your age, I was a newly minted US Navy officer.  I had physical fitness requirements.  Anything less than a perfect score on my physical fitness test was just plain unacceptable.  I had to set the standard for the men and women under my command.

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Best Answer