Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cardio vs fat burning zone - Why?

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Why does fitbit use these terms? Why not just low, medium, and high intensity? I've done some reading, and it seems the overall consensus is that the "fat burning zone" is (mostly) a myth.

Based on my age (55. 56 in two months), the calculated heart rate is lower than what I think it really is. I've done a stress test at the cardiologist, so this is just not a personal opinion. The technician even commented that most men my age are "huffing and puffing" by now. My response was, "Up the voltage." line from the movie "Real Genius").

I walk around 8 miles a day. I keep a pretty good pace, but I am never out of breath. I notice most of my time is in the "Peak" zone. In fact, only if I jog, does my heart rate approach max (for my age).

So that's it. Why the use of "fat burning zone" and can the values for the zones be changed (I have not looked into that aspect yet, as I just thought of it, while typing this).

Thanks for the help, Eric

--- Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do.
Flex (Christmas 2014), ChargeHR (Christmas 2015). Wife is using the Flex now! Nope, that Flex has died. Alta ordered 12/15/16 as Flex replacement. So far, she likes it. Nope, alta battery only lasts 2 days, started at 7. Support contacted 12/7/17. Hope warranty covers it.
Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@EricJRW wrote:

Why does fitbit use these terms?

Because it's easy to market given the decades of proclamation of a "fat burning zone" for your workouts. As you've researched, I would mostly ignore the "zones". The more important aspect is understanding your HRmax and exercising accordingly with your fitness goals.

@EricJRW wrote:

can the values for the zones be changed

The only mechanism Fitbit offers for adjusting your HRmax, thereby adjusting the "zones", is to alter your age. Fitbit guesstimates HRmax as 220-age.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
3 REPLIES 3

So after posting I saw the following topic listed in the "Related Posts", which (I think) answers my "changing the zones" question:

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Fitbit-com-Dashboard/Changing-fat-burning-zone/m-p/985530

Flex (Christmas 2014), ChargeHR (Christmas 2015). Wife is using the Flex now! Nope, that Flex has died. Alta ordered 12/15/16 as Flex replacement. So far, she likes it. Nope, alta battery only lasts 2 days, started at 7. Support contacted 12/7/17. Hope warranty covers it.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@EricJRW wrote:

Why does fitbit use these terms?

Because it's easy to market given the decades of proclamation of a "fat burning zone" for your workouts. As you've researched, I would mostly ignore the "zones". The more important aspect is understanding your HRmax and exercising accordingly with your fitness goals.

@EricJRW wrote:

can the values for the zones be changed

The only mechanism Fitbit offers for adjusting your HRmax, thereby adjusting the "zones", is to alter your age. Fitbit guesstimates HRmax as 220-age.

Best Answer
0 Votes

That makes sense. Thank you. I would have hoped fitbit might take a higher ground and work to dispel the myths.

Warm regards, Eric

Best Answer
0 Votes