Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Resolved: Changes to Data Export tool

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fitbit Update 11/30/2018: This issue has been resolved and I'll be closing it from further responses. 

Fitbit Update 11/28/2018: The old data export tool is now back and available for use. You can now choose which way you would like to export your data going forward. If you would like to access the old tool, please go here and select "if you would like to use the old data export tool click here" under Export My Fitbit Data. 

If you have any issues, please let me know. Thanks for your patience and reports! 

Fitbit Update 11/27/2018: Happy Tuesday! Just a heads up that we hope to have an update soon on the Data Export tool. I'll continue to update the thread this week. 

Fitbit Update 11/20/2018: While I don't have an update today, I can assure you that your feedback is being heard. One note, if you contact our support team, they will not be able to supply additional details, but I will continue to update this thread as I know more. We do appreciate the feedback.

Fitbit Update 11/16/2018:  Hi Everyone, here's an update on the recent changes to the export tool:

With the recent improvements to our tool, you can now export your Fitbit data, starting from your first step with Fitbit.

You can also access new data for download, such as heart-rate data, exercise logs, and your activity in the Fitbit community. For more information, see How do I export my data?

We understand that some customers are having difficulty interpreting their data in the new download format. We’ll continue to add features and make improvements based on your feedback.

Thank you all for your input in the thread. Our team will continue to monitor this thread and I'll let you know when I have further updates. 

Actively managing your weight? Find accountability buddies on the Manage Weight board

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Fitbit Update 11/28/2018: The old data export tool is now back and available for use. You can now choose which way you would like to export your data going forward. If you would like to access the old tool, please go here and select "if you would like to use the old data export tool click here" under Export My Fitbit Data. 

If you have any issues, please let me know. Thanks for your patience and reports! 

Actively managing your weight? Find accountability buddies on the Manage Weight board

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
384 REPLIES 384

Data export no longer downloads stats to a simple csv but exports your entire data history into a zip file which has the data separated into lots of .json files. And you cant export just the days you want anymore you have to download your ENTIRE data history and can only do it once in 24 hours and have to get an email confirmation before doing so. Does anyone know how to extract the data from these separate files easily??

Devices: Luxe, Versa, Aria 2, Charge 2, Zip
Best Answer

I am hoping for an answer to this also.  The new format is not user friendly.

Moderator edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer

Not easily. Various programming languages (Python, R) provide one way, but that's a lot of work if you just want the summary. As much as the full export provides a rich new source to examine, this change is a pain. They should re-enable the old format. Glad I'm not the only one to express how much this impedes the opportunity to work with my data.

Moderator edit: format

Best Answer

I agree. I want the CSV download back. I used to put the data into Excel, now I have lots of JSON files.

Best Answer

I can no longer export my data into an excel file, it only comes out in one format that I can't use, will we get back the ability to export to excel?

Best Answer

I am protesting the changes to the Data Export function!!

This was an important feature, being able to get an Excel data download daily or on demand.  You better restore the export function back to what it was, or provide it as a $$ premium function that I can pay for, ie $50/year; or you will lose me as a customer. 

In the last five years, I have purchased four Fitbit watches/trackers, and two Polar watches/trackers.

The one big advantage that the Fitbit had over Polar was the Excel data download.

Do you really want to lose me as a customer???

Moderator edit: all-caps

Best Answer

Welcome to the Forums @nendyrn.

Thanks for bringing this up! 

Could you share some details as to how the export changed for you? I'd like to gather all feedback possible as we are always looking  for ways to improve the overall Fitbit experience.

Look forward to your reply.

Lanuza | Community Moderator

Remember to vote for posts that helped you out! Tired of the same workout music? Try a Podcast! 🙂

Best Answer

Why has Export data changed from custom dates to everything? Isn't this a backward step?

Best Answer

Did anyone else notice the change in exporting your data?  Now you have to request the data, wait for it to be emailed to you as a link, and then when you download it, it's a .JSON file.

There isn't an option to select dates to request the data from.

Any suggestions on how to work with this? This isn't user friendly.

Best Answer

I too am very troubled by the change in the Export feature.  I was sharing the information with my Weight Management Physician to show them the details of my weight loss efforts.  I'm not sure what downloaded, but it makes no sense to me.  Having the XLS format is essential format to share.  

Best Answer

This is not user friendly at all!  The .JSON file has to be opened by another application but it comes out all distorted.  You can try opening it with WORD and then file wrapping it but that doesn't work for all the data.  This is a terrible change!

Best Answer

same sentiments

Best Answer

Agreed.  This change is AWFUL.  I was using the export to provide food logs to my dietician easily...although it didn't include all of the detail I wanted it was better than manually capturing.  Now I have the JSON files and cant do anything with them even with the steps from Microsoft to try to use Excel.  They need to give users an alternative ASAP as we should be able to get to our data to use as we need.  They obviously didn't ask actual end users before making this change 🙂

Best Answer

This change severely limits the usability of the fitbit  tracker and app.

I need to be able to download as an excel or csv. file on a frequent basis.

The change is extremely user hostile and offers no benefit to the user. 

This degradation of the capability exhibits a detachment from and disinterest in the actual customer.

I urge fitbit to reconsider this deterioration in service and return to functionality.

Best Answer

This change is awful.  Fitbit are you going to give us an option that we can actually use????!!!!!  File format is not friendly even with attempting to follow Microsoft instructions to open in Excel, you can no longer indicate what specifically you want and the time frame.  I have been using this to share with my dietician and now I have to manually capture the information to share with her.  Ugh!! 

Best Answer

@LanuzaFitbit Do you really need to know details on how it changed for us?  Wow. 

-The entire data export changed. In the past you could export particular pieces and choose a time frame into files that can be easily opened in Excel. 

- Now you have to export your ENTIRE history with no ways to indicate the specific items that you need  AND the files are in JSON format which are totally unusable for the layman. 

Best Answer

The fact that Fitbit changed download capabilities is unacceptable,  I rely on the ease of exporting my information regularly, in excel format within parameters I decide.  I will find a different fitness tracker if Fitbit doesn't resolve this issue.

Best Answer

I can't get Fitbit to send the email to send for the file. And yes, I have confirmed it is the right email.

Best Answer