Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Logging Custom recipes

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

To Fitbit - 

Please do something to make creating your own food (e.g. recipes) easier.  your tracker seems fine if I only eat prepackaged food and or insert Xoz of chicken, etc.  But for those of us who make/cook most of our food (WAY healthier than buying premade/packaged foods) - surely you would want to help us track this way.  If we could build recipes under names once, and then refer to them later - that would be hugely helpful.  I was looking to switch to fitbit for a foodlog, but still can't seem to do this.  PLEASE fix this.  Thank You

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Until Fitbit works on their recipe functionality, I would suggest you check out Myfitnesspal.  It has a great food database and an easy recipe entry option.  And if you found your recipe online, you can just type in the URL into myfitnesspal and it will pull the information and enter it for you.  It is really handy.  It also syncs with Fitbit so you would log it in myfitnesspal and the info syncs to Fitbit.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/recipe/box

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
62 REPLIES 62

@suz1roy It's hard for me too, because my mother sends me normal healthy food. However, I found out that you can log them separately. Instead of salad, I log tomatoes, lettuce, onion and salt. Try to log the items separetly. Smiley Wink You can read more suggestions here: Logging food question.

@pmwoodward I added you to the post because it seems you're experiencing the same situation. 

Welcome to Fitbit Community! Smiley Very Happy

Fitbit Community ModeratorStephanie | Community Advocate

All that stepping got you exhausted? Improve Your Zzzs!

Best Answer

Hello, I track everything I eat. I almost never eat out or eat commercially prepared food. My wife and I prepare almost everything we eat from scratch. My problem is, when I go to enter my food, almost every option to choose is either from a resturaunt/take out chain or a commercially available product bought in a grocery store. In the end, what I do is use Calorie King to obtain the nutrutional value and then substitue an available option on fitbit to closely approximate what I have eaten. There has to be a better way. Am I searching or otherwise doing something wrong?

thanks!

Best Answer

I think it is clear that the logging function needs a non resturaunt, non food market brand entry. Colorie King does this. It needs to be added. This is especially true for those like myself who try to adopt a healthy lifestyle. My guess is that the majority who purchase fitbit are like minded also.

Best Answer

@pmwoodward I highly recommend that you vote for this idea: List whole, non-branded foods list in our Feature Requests forum. This is a great place to get the attention of Fitbit's developers.

Also, you can link your Fitbit account to MyFitnessPal to expand your food data base here: MyFitnessPal integration. Happy stepping! :smileywink:

Best Answer

you are right . Me  I buy only the base at the grocery store ex. fruit, vegetable , legume ect I make my bread cook everything. I have buy an electric pressure cooker and with that it s take less time ex: corn on cub take only 2 minutes to cook so with that I use lot and freeze  no need to buy restaurant .

Best Answer

@Yolalove 2 minutes? Wow, that's really fast! We don't have an electric one, but our pressure cooker is magical. Beans, chicken, potatoes, vegetables, everything cooks right away!  

Best Answer
0 Votes

Until Fitbit works on their recipe functionality, I would suggest you check out Myfitnesspal.  It has a great food database and an easy recipe entry option.  And if you found your recipe online, you can just type in the URL into myfitnesspal and it will pull the information and enter it for you.  It is really handy.  It also syncs with Fitbit so you would log it in myfitnesspal and the info syncs to Fitbit.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/recipe/box

Best Answer

@Jrdubyakc That's a great suggestion! Both can be linked hereMyFitnessPal integration

Best Answer
0 Votes

yes I choose the steam button and I click on 2 minutes when it s ready close by itselft and can keep hot or I can steam out and eat it

Best Answer

@Yolalove Nice! I will let my mother know Smiley Embarassed Perhaps I can convince her to get one this weekend! Smiley Very Happy 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I agree that a recipe aspect to fit bit needs to be added. I have used LoseIt! for the past 3 years & loved. When I got my fitbit I was beyond excited to find out it could be synced with LoseIt! only to find out you had to have the membership which requires paying yearly. Not gonna happen people. So LoseIt! I propose either you find a way to add recipes - I love the way LoseIt! does it, or let those of use who have LoseIt! basic & the fitbit join in on the fun & sync our accounts too

Thanks!

Best Answer

@healthyplatekay Hi there! I’m glad to hear your opinion between Lose It! and Fitbit, and this is an interesting idea. I highly recommend that you share this idea in our Feature Requests forum. This is a great place to get the attention of Fitbit's developers. Happy stepping! :smileywink: 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I agree, I will keep using myfitnesspal until fitbit makes it easier to enter a recipe and there food data base is much larger like fitnesspal

Best Answer
In other apps you can put in thevingredients and the amount of servings recipe will produce and get the calorie count per serving. This would be appreciated with Fitbit app
Best Answer

I use LoseIt instead of MyFItnessPal, I think the recipe builder is better and easier to use.  I also like the food data base better.  But it's a PAIN to have to use a different site just to find out the calorie count of a healthy, homemade meal.  With Fitbit being a leader in wearable fitness technology I thought they would have the best recipe builder as well...but I've been so dissappointed that they don't even have one at all!!!

Come on Fitbit!  Be the best in all areas! 🙂

Best Answer

How about intering homemade cookies?

I need to add each ingrediant individaully? That will take so much time to do with each individual meal and dessert! I rarely eat prepackaged food and therefore I HATE logging my food. Until fitbit creates a recipie builder like MyFitnessPal has, I refuse to spend half my life logging each ingrediant! 

Best Answer

Thanks for joining the Community @Kschil

That's certainly a great idea. I found this Feature Suggestions post. It talks about creating a recipe converter and to have the ability to save those recipes. You could vote for it to show your support, or even comment on it.

In the meantime, it is possible for you to connect your MyFitnessPal account to your Fitbit account. To connect both account, please follow these steps:

1. Log into MyFitnessPal and click 'Apps'.
2. In the App Gallery, look for Fitbit and then select 'Connect'.
3. Click 'Allow' to give MyFitnessPal access to your Fitbit data.
4. Follow the instructions that will show on screen.

After connecting them, information like food will be shared between the two. This way you can log your food and recipes on MFP and have that information show up on Fitbit.

Hope you find this useful! See you around the Forums!

Lanuza | Community Moderator

Remember to vote for posts that helped you out! Tired of the same workout music? Try a Podcast! 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks, but I don't use MyFitnessPal. I did have my FitBit account linked
to my LoseIt account but the food I logged did not show up on my FitBit
account, especially the recipes I had logged, as I do not have a "premium"
LoseIt account.

My point is to not have to have two separate accounts to begin with. I
would prefer to use one account only. But until that changes I will have to
log recipes at LoseIt then transfer the calorie count info to FitBit. 😞
Best Answer

Hello @grammang

I do certainly understand where you're coming from. It would be very convenient and simple to have that option on your Dashboard. Be sure to support the suggestion I mentioned! 

Hope to see you around the Community! 

Lanuza | Community Moderator

Remember to vote for posts that helped you out! Tired of the same workout music? Try a Podcast! 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes