Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RESOLVED: Data Export tool isn't working

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fitbit Update: 09/25/17

This issue has now been fully resolved, and data exports should work normally again. Thanks everyone for your patience on this issue.

Fitbit Update: 09/06/17

We have identified a potential fix that will get things working again. However, it won't be possible for us to release this change before next week.

So we expect that the export tool will remain in its current state at least through the weekend. I know that we're all eager to see it resolved as quickly as possible, but wanted to set a realistic expectation.

Hi, everyone! Thanks for your reports about the Export Data tool. Our team is aware of the issue where you can't download your data and only get a spinning circle.They are looking into this some more and I will provide an update here once there is more information. Thanks for your patience!

Want to get more steps? Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
291 REPLIES 291

@adam_t @WCL The purpose of my post was to confirm that our team is still working on this issue, and confirm that we aren't asking for more assistance from affected users. We don't have any more specific details available at this time, but I thought it would be reassuring to check in on this rather than be silent while it gets fixed.

Best Answer

Excel should be able to import the CSV version

Best Answer
0 Votes

The neither the CSV or the XLS options download...

Best Answer

Look to your server and the stuff like DOCTYPE, CONTENT TYPE, PROTOCOL, the 3 part 8.3 file naming.
For the .csv file it should have coding as TEXT/CSV

It looks like I get a response from the server that says the file is ready.  A GET is used to transfer the information, I'm not sure that is what is needed.  The file may have 'file_ready: true' but it never gets here.

It might be good to have someone that KNOWS the innards of whatever server (Apache?) software is being used to work with your 'engineers' because this really looks like a software issue to me.

When this gets fixed, a word of advice: "IF IT AIN'T BROKEN DON'T FIX IT"  (because then it becomes borken (sic).

Best Answer

CAN YOU DEFINE SOON?   IT"S BEEN OVER A WEEK ALREADY!  I love my fit bit, this is my 3rd one, (always upgraded) and always has excellent customer service with the hardware.  However, this software issue is quickly souring me . 

Best Answer
0 Votes

From Fitbit, but see the information here: http://fitbit-export.azurewebsites.net/

Takes more work to get things to how YOU are used to working but an acceptable alternative until Fitbit gets their act together, someday.

Best Answer

I was hoping to use my data for a project, but it looks like I won't be able to get it in time. Interestingly, when I was searching for an answer to this problem, the first post I found was a nearly identical thread from 2015...

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for posting the work around.  Right know I am not desperate enough to figure out how to use it. To complicated to figure out.  Hopefully Fitbit will fix the problem soon. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

The Database Extract seems to work, when I look at the requests and responses over the internet, one of the things that I see is an indication that the file was successfully created.  That means that the extract from the database took place.  It is AFTER that when the file is attempted to be sent to the Fitbit customer that things go bad.

The Fitbit Customers browser gets a response that says the file was created with a cryptic identification of the file to request.  The Fitbit Customer browser then attempts to get (I think using the Get command) from the server.  The file is not transmitted to the requester (Fitbit customer) properly.

All indications, to me, are that something changed on their internet server (probably Apache or the Microsoft equivalent).  If their hosting service made some changes, that would screw things up like this. 

I have not done this kind of stuff in years but have seen similar in the past (well before I retired in 2000).

Best Answer
0 Votes
I'm stuck in the same endlessly spinning wheel and no data. It IS the same problem we experienced last October and at other times. This is REALLY BAD customer support from Fitbit to have this problem re-occur repeatedly. It is time Fitbit stepped up to the plate and hired some IT folks that can fix this problem once and for all. No excuses, no apologies, we want our data and we want it now! 🙂
Best Answer
0 Votes
Aless: Please tell the Fitbit engineers that the natives are getting restless and we want our data and we want it now. The holiday weekend would have been a great time for me to plot my data and see how I am doing with my fitness program. Instead, I just got to watch a stupid spinning wheel. Now, if I just had a step for every time I saw that wheel go around ... Ed.
Best Answer
0 Votes

YES!!  I'm glad it's not just me.  I've tried to do a Chat about 4 days ago...but they don't seem to have a solution. I've never had a problem with this tool.  I have the same problem as everyone else has been having. I set the criteria and click the download button and it just spins!  This has been going on now for several weeks.  I thought it might just be a glitch they were working on. But this is getting quite frustrating. I need to be able to use this tool to submit the data to my employer for a health care premium discount! 

Best Answer

Why has this not been sorted out yet? This has been on your job list since 25 August: it is now 4 September. That makes it 11 days. Seems like a long time for a problem to go unresolved!

Best Answer

Wow had my Fitbit 3 days - bought it to log data before this Thursday.

Looks a lot like it's going back to the store to swap for something that works.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I also have been trying to download since 1 Sept and have been unable- it is not a network issue.  I have tried three different browsers and rebooted my PC.  Any thoughts on when this might be resolved.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Its currently broken, don't waste anymore time until you see something on this message board from fitbit saying at last its fixed

Best Answer

I wholeheartedly agree that this has been broken far too long. It seems that whenever Fitbit comes out with a new product they mess up the function that allows downloading of or data. Every Monday I download the last 7 days of data to store in to my own spreadsheet. Could not download it last Monday, August 28th and still unable to download it this Monday, September 4th, 2017. Thankfully I can get the needed numbers by looking at each day in the Dashboard, but still, this downloading function gets messed up far too frequently and takes way too long to repair once it is broken.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Simple, basic functionality and you can't keep it working?  Come on.  It has been two weeks now.

Best Answer

Today is 09/04/2017, will Fitbit be extending the 31 day access to August data due to this issue starting prior to the end of month to the present. We the premium paying users relay on this feature and do our best to adhere to limited 31 day data access. Is this very frustrating. Thank you

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi jmkj111 -- I'm not familiar with premium, but I know that the data export tool for my 'regular' account allows me to export up to 31 days at a time...but that doesn't mean only the LAST 31 days. It allows any block up to 31 days in length all the way back to when I started.

When I first started backing up my Fitbit data, I had already let several months go by from when I started using the tracker. So I was able to manually enter the first and last days of each past month (even though it was months later) and export them.

So any time this month you should be able to select "last month" and get all of August's data, and even after the end of September you should be able to export August data by manually exporting the 8/1 - 8/31 date range (which is 31 days). Obviously I hope we won't still have this issue in October 😉 but even if we do you'll still be able to grab the data whenever the tool starts working again.

Best Answer
0 Votes