Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RESOLVED: Data Export tool isn't working

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fitbit Update: 09/25/17

This issue has now been fully resolved, and data exports should work normally again. Thanks everyone for your patience on this issue.

Fitbit Update: 09/06/17

We have identified a potential fix that will get things working again. However, it won't be possible for us to release this change before next week.

So we expect that the export tool will remain in its current state at least through the weekend. I know that we're all eager to see it resolved as quickly as possible, but wanted to set a realistic expectation.

Hi, everyone! Thanks for your reports about the Export Data tool. Our team is aware of the issue where you can't download your data and only get a spinning circle.They are looking into this some more and I will provide an update here once there is more information. Thanks for your patience!

Want to get more steps? Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
291 REPLIES 291

@jmkj111, the 31-day limit means that you can only download 31 days worth of data at a time.  You can select "Custom" for the Time Period, and then enter 08/01/2017 and 08/31/2017 for the start/stop dates, and get the 31 days worth of data for August - or, at least you will be able to once they fix the data export capability.

Best Answer

I've been having this same problem - spinning donut - when trying to export either csv or xls for activity [month of August].

Best Answer
You are not limited to the past 31 days. You can download older data, but
only 31 days at a time. (When download works at all.)
Best Answer

I can't believe that this issue is not yet resolved.  Taking this long to fix a bug in something as important as access to one's health and fitness data is not acceptable.  If your tech people cannot resolve it, then hire someone who can.  The clock is ticking and I do not want to lose any of my data permanently.  Please get this resolved ASAP.  I've been a loyal fitbit user/customer for years, but I may soon begin looking into other brands.

Best Answer

As has been posted before, there is a workaround, using http://fitbit-export.azurewebsites.net/ 

The key aspect of this workaround is that all my data is all still there, going back to the beginning (well, 20 months for me). So while its pretty clear something is borked on the fitbit website, the good news is that if this tool can download all your data, then its just the fitbit webtool that is borked, rather than the databases holding our data - which is actually pretty good news.

I suggest you at least download your data, for all time, from http://fitbit-export.azurewebsites.net/ and put it in an excell spreadsheet. Then you have it. Yes, its metric, not imperial, but as it's in a spreadsheet, you can do what you want with it....

Best Answer

@MatthewFitbit, @KateFitbit, @AlessFitbit, @LanuzaFitbit: Please escalate to relevant management personnel.

Fitbit, Inc. SWOT analysis (an outsider's perspective):

Strengths: Fitbit core business offering is represented by an array of wearable devices that vary from stylish to hidden. Fitbit was an early entrant to the connected fitness tracker market and has largely maintained its early adopter customer base as well as grown to include later adopters. The concept of wireless hardware trackers coupled with software is innovative and Fitbit was one of the first and strongest innovators in the arena. Fitbit designs devices and contracts for their manufacture with an overseas manufacturer(s). Fitbit imports the devices and sells them to resellers and directly to end users through its versatile distribution network. Fitbit designs and distributes software for use in tandem with the hardware component. The software (a service component of the hardware purchase price) offers a centralized platform to view and manipulate user inputs from Fitbit's multiple devices such as its pedometer and scale with fat sensor and offers additional inputs such as tracking of fluids consumed, calories consumed, estimate of calories burned, activity tracking, and sleep tracking. The Fitbit experience does not exist without the software. The interface can be accessed via a web browser or mobile app on multiple mobile platforms. To encourage adoption, Fitbit dedicated itself to making its customers’ data completely accessible by them, enabling customers to export their own data and manipulate it how they saw appropriate.

From “Our Competitive Strengths” section of Fitbit’s most recent 10-K filed 3/1/17 for the period ending 12/31/16: “Broad mobile compatibility and open API. Our broad mobile compatibility and open API enable a large health and fitness ecosystem that provides additional value to our existing users and extends our reach to potential new users. Our users can sync their Fitbit devices with, and view their online dashboard on, their computers and over 200 mobile devices, including iOS, Android, and Windows Phone products. This broad compatibility, combined with our market-leading position, has enabled us to build what we believe is the largest community of connected health and fitness device users.”

Weaknesses: Before going public, Fitbit personnel were eager to listen to Fitbit customers’ feedback and develop hardware and software improvements. After going public, Fitbit has struggled to keep its early adopters and other existing customers happy. Fitbit emphasizes new product releases while letting older but still relevant products and software solutions fall by the wayside. Fitbit also struggles to maintain a cogent customer support front. Customer phone support is unaware of the existence of hot-topic software functionality issues well documented on Fitbit’s own online forum. Amateur service tactics leave the sophisticated customer, once upon a time loyal and excited, feeling helpless and resentful.

Opportunities: The market for wireless fitness tracking solutions is still young and there is plenty of room for innovation, growth, and failure. Fitbit’s biggest opportunity is to get out of its own way, stop stepping on its own feet, and do what the company was once so great at: listen to feedback and create solutions based on the feedback. Don’t distrust or ignore customers who are providing this crucial (and free!) service. The life cycle of devices is generally limited by the number of charge cycles the nonreplaceable batteries are capable of. With regular use, a device may last 1-3 years, after which time it will need to be replaced. Fitbit has a unique opportunity to so engage its existing customer base that its customers will purchase new Fitbit devices at the end of their previous devices’ lives (The converse of this is also true in that Fitbit may so alienate its existing customer base that those sophisticated customers will choose to purchase their fitness tracking solutions from other providers).

Threats: At present, Fitbit’s strongest threat, arrogance, is generated or nourished internally. External threats are in the form of competitors’ products that are just-as-good-or-better than Fitbit’s and standing ready to happily welcome Fitbit’s abandoners.

Best Answer
0 Votes

When I go to the oft-cited workaround, I get an error. I do not work with software, script, or code, so I don't know how to interpret the error message. Is it possible Fitbit disabled outside accessibility as well?Capture.PNG

Best Answer

You get that message if you have already downloaded your data.

I did a download a week or so ago, and then tried to do another after my post above.

I got that message too.

My workaround was to open another, different browser, then login to fitbit, and then go to http://fitbit-export.azurewebsites.net/  then it worked and I downloaded everything again.

I suspect it has something to do with the API login credentials having expired.

Best Answer
0 Votes

It has happened to me and I notified the author. however simply trying again worked fine. 

regards,

Martin

Best Answer
0 Votes

I recieved your posting complete in an email !?! Where did it go?

Martin

Best Answer
0 Votes

You are correct - the reason is contained in the error message. I forgot to mention that I logged back into fitbit just before trying the second time.

Martin

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Chris_D, @MartinBlackshaw: Thanks. I played with it on Saturday.

Best Answer
0 Votes
What is Azure? I'm using Fibit website data export function, and it doesn't
work, keeping running but no result no matter I selected csv or excel file.
Please fix it.

Best Regards,
Sophia
Best Answer

Try logging off all of the Fitbit connections on your computer.  Wait about 15 minutes.  Go back to the http://fitbit-export.azurewebsites.net/ website and try again.  It looks as though you tried to get the data twice and the http://fitbit-export.azurewebsites.net/ lost or borked your access token

Best Answer

http://fitbit-export.azurewebsites.net/ allows you to download a .csv file with all of the data that Fitbit has for you.  There are a few caveats.

It is .csv only.  You can import that into Excel or Libre Office or Open Office.
Data is in metric, you have to convert KG to LBS and KM to Miles.
Some of the Calorie numbers have to be adjusted, I think, to get Actual Calories Burned, you have to subtract column E from column D.
There may be others.
Just a hint, when it asks to access your data, give it permission for all of them, even if you do not use some of them.

Best Answer

Been playing with data export page and found it is the sleep data that is the problem. If you select all but the sleep data check boxes then your data will download.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I have tried that and it doesn't work. Even with different dates and data
combinations.
Best Answer

@Mczech , I agree whole heartily, but the only ones coming up with workarounds is the USERS on this thread (as far as this thread is concerned) 

As far as fitbit not getting it together, very sad. I have started using my fitnes pal and so far it is working and you can request the data from the app. It's only been a couple of days now no not sure if it is what I am looking for, but at least the food app seems to be a lot more robust. Also My Fitness Pal pulls from fitbit

Best Answer

Will it be fixed before September 30th? I have a challenge at work, which ends on the 30th, and would like to be able to export before then. I really don't feel like going old school to record 90 days worth of data.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Having same problem.  Able to export all dat from Fitbit HR or last three months.  Went to download data for August and just get the spinning circle.  Have tried multiple times on a couple of different computers.  Please provide a progress update on resolving this problem.  This is a significant loss for the community.  Thanks.

Best Answer
0 Votes