Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RESOLVED: Data Export tool isn't working

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fitbit Update: 09/25/17

This issue has now been fully resolved, and data exports should work normally again. Thanks everyone for your patience on this issue.

Fitbit Update: 09/06/17

We have identified a potential fix that will get things working again. However, it won't be possible for us to release this change before next week.

So we expect that the export tool will remain in its current state at least through the weekend. I know that we're all eager to see it resolved as quickly as possible, but wanted to set a realistic expectation.

Hi, everyone! Thanks for your reports about the Export Data tool. Our team is aware of the issue where you can't download your data and only get a spinning circle.They are looking into this some more and I will provide an update here once there is more information. Thanks for your patience!

Want to get more steps? Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
291 REPLIES 291

This feature worked fine two weeks ago?  Why not revert so that we can use it until the engineers can 'fix it right' without the pressure from this angry mob?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I don't know how many of us are affected - I've seen a number of comments - but since early July the weekly reports always indicate that you did 10,281 more or fewer steps than the previous week. Always 10,281. This regression was introduced around the first week of July and is still not fixed.

I've been a software engineer my whole life and I'm currently unemployed. Maybe they should hire me, I couldn't do any worse on these issues than the "engineers" they currently have.

Best Answer

What's the postulated cause?

I'm having this issue as well. Tested on IE, Chrome, and Edge; same results. Doesn't seem to matter which combination of dates or types of data.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm unable to export data as well. It's pretty much my only reason for paying to be a premium member. I hope they extend our subscriptions to compensate for this outage whenever it's resolved.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Last update was 1 week ago.

Can you please update us on the problem?

I would like to export my data.

I also strongly suggest to add a message in EXPORT YOUR DATA page to show users there are issues. It's really easy to do it and it would have save me (and many others) 5 minutes of trying unsuccessfully.

Best Answer

be careful what you say....lol they messaged me and deleted my posts as I am unhappy with Fit bit.  Wasn't angry before, leaning that way now.   😞   

Best Answer

I would be really disappointed if I get a message deleted. I was polite and on the point.

Btw thanks, I'm making screenshots now 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Mczech If you don't understand why your posts were in violation of our Community Guidelines, you should respond to the Moderator who messaged you.

@yupswing Posts are only removed if they are in violation of our Community Guidelines. I agree that this conversation should be kept polite and on-topic, so that such action is not needed.

Our team is continuing to work on getting this issue resolved. I assure you that your voices have been heard, and that our team understands the desire to see this tool working properly again.

Best Answer

This issue has been over 2 weeks now with no estimated ETA for fix.   Fitbit clearly states that this is our data and we should be allowed to access it at anytime.  What is the estimated time this will be fixed?  If Fitbit can't provide the functionality that its customers need, then maybe Fitbit is not device or platform we should be using. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

This is the same here. Come on guys. I like to see my goals get smashed.

Best Answer
0 Votes

9/5/17... data export isn't working. What the current status of getting it fixed?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, the issue has been there for more than one week now, how hard can it be? This is the last straw. I've left you once already, this is the second. My Suunto Spartan is being delivered today.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am able to individually select activity and retrieve data but get spinning wheel when I try to  retrieve sleep data on export tool. Have tried on Google chrome, I.E.11  Win 7 and browser on Win 10 all to no avail. It is beyond a joke that it cannot be fixed.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Don't bother tryijjg to find the answer with on line chat  That was an hour of frustration with canned responses and no acknowledgement of a problem.  I merely got a canned e mail that did not remotely address this issue.  I just ordered another tracker as I need my logs for my Nutritinist.

Best Answer
0 Votes
thanks for the info. I will leave FB to sort things our or throw the **ahem** thing away.
Regards
gerry
Best Answer
0 Votes

Posting to add mass to this problem. I expect a fix or at least an explanation of the scope of the problem and a realistic estimate for when a fix will be completed.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Is there any resolution to this? I need to export my data to turn into my work for my wellness benefit. We're talking $130 a month on my paycheck for the next year. I have to have this data by Sept. 12.

Any word on when this will be fixed?

Best Answer
0 Votes

From previous posts on this issue. As this represents a real (and substantial) impact on your financial situation, you may be interested in pursuing this avenue. It is relatively painless, so long as you have access to Excel or its open-source alternative, LibreOffice.

----------------------------------------------------------------

I have also been trying to export my step data for the last 2-3 days without success. I thought it was just me until I came here and saw the forum posts. Ultimately, I am trying to download 4 years of data, so I guess I will be running this export just a few times since I am limited to 31 days per attempt. A few months ago, after my Fitbit One died (out of warranty), I switched to a Garmin Vivofit (the really old one since I found it really cheap) and I am trying to consolidate my step data in one place. I found a site that let me export the data in bulk, but apparently, I need the file in the Fitbit CSV format.

In the meantime, while I wait for Fitbit to fix this, does anyone have an example output CSV file they can share, or at least the first line so I can get the headers and maybe I can rearrange my other file to the correct format?

Here you go:
Activities
Date Calories Burned Steps Distance Floors Minutes Sedentary Minutes Lightly Active Minutes Fairly Active Minutes Very Active Activity Calories
4/1/2017 1,967 2,736 1.26 0 1,367 73 0 0 314
4/2/2017 1,729 0 0 0 1,440 0 0 0 0
1 Vote
yesterday

Data Export tool isn't working
on 09-01-2017 14:09

Thank you so much! I was able to take the data from http://fitbit-export.azurewebsites.net/ and change it into this file format and successfully imported my data into Garmin Connect!! I now have a complete step history going back to October 2013 in one place.

If anyone tries to do this, just make sure your CSV file has the following two lines at the top:

Activities Date,Calories Burned,Steps,Distance,Floors,Minutes Sedentary,Minutes Lightly Active,Minutes Fairly Active,Minutes Very Active,Activity Calories
Then, open up the file from the site I listed above and copy the data to fit these columns.

The Garmin Connect import can only handle a certain amount of data at a time, so I had to break my large data file into 3 or 4 smaller files of about 7-8 months each before it would import properly.

on 09-01-2017 17:54

fmagic thanks for the URL. It works fine and I was able to acquire my August data. Beware US or non metric people Fitbit reworks /converts the data to your preferred format in the regular export link. Therefore my weight was in kg. My distance was in an impressive km and lost face when converted to miles. Other discrepancies are with the activity calories burned. Subtract column E from Column D. I will try this link again in 30 days. The reworking of the data will be simple next time.

Once again thanks.

on 09-03-2017 08:39

Be aware that using Azure to download the data provides the data in Metric units. You will have to do some conversion.
Kilometers * 0.621371 = Miles
Kilograms * 2.204623 = Pounds
There are a few other adjustments that also have to be made to get the information in the same units that the Data Export tool uses.
Also, the data is in .CSV format. Excel should be able to import it. If not, the CALC function of Libre Office does and from there, it can be saved in Excel format.

----------------------------------------------------------

I am simply repeating what others have posted, for your convenience. I cannot take credit for any of this investigation, only that I am a grateful user of it.

Best Answer
No people at Forgot do not seem to care. Apparently this is been an issue
for 2 weeks now
Best Answer
0 Votes

Wow! All I can say is a HUGE Thank You! Worked like a champ. I just need to convert the column of distance to miles, and I can turn my log in.

You just saved my butt, and my wellness pay for 2017-18 is secured! 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes