Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delete only the route from an exercise

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I've had a Charge 2 for 2-3 weeks, and have been logging my daily bike commute by initiating Bike from the Charge and letting it get GPS from my phone. Sometimes it logs the route for the whole thing, sometimes it doesn't log the route at all, and sometimes, annoyingly, it only logs some random part/s of it.

In an ideal world I'd have the route recorded as I like the link between map and graphs. I'll keep playing with where my phone is in relation to the Fitbit (usually it's in a pannier) to try to get a more reliable bluetooth link - but I don't have time to reset everything before every commute! I don't usually want to dig out my phone to record it on the app, especially if it is raining.

I don't mind not having the route at all as it's still interesting to see my HR, but having some fraction of it just gives me useless stats on speed etc. (today's average = 1.8kph!)  Is there a way to delete JUST the route from my exercise when this happens? Or for Fitbit to calculate speed based only on the part where location was recorded?

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

A very warm welcome to the Forums @ermintrude75.

Having only parts of the whole activity definitely frustrating. Unfortunately it is not possible to delete just one part of a recorded activity. You'd have to delete the whole thing and then manually log it

It does sound like an interesting idea. Perhaps you could post about it on the Feature Suggestions board. Other users could then vote for your idea and comment on it to show their support.

Hope to see you around.

Lanuza | Community Moderator

Remember to vote for posts that helped you out! Tired of the same workout music? Try a Podcast! 🙂

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
11 REPLIES 11

A very warm welcome to the Forums @ermintrude75.

Having only parts of the whole activity definitely frustrating. Unfortunately it is not possible to delete just one part of a recorded activity. You'd have to delete the whole thing and then manually log it

It does sound like an interesting idea. Perhaps you could post about it on the Feature Suggestions board. Other users could then vote for your idea and comment on it to show their support.

Hope to see you around.

Remember to vote for posts that helped you out! Tired of the same workout music? Try a Podcast! 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks @LanuzaFitbit, I've made it a suggestion. Searching the forums has raised the suggestion that I could re-categorise the exercise - e.g. set it to Spinning instead of Bike. But I can't see that option. Does it exist, or have I misunderstood?

Best Answer

@ermintrude75  I don't have an ultimate, eureka answer for you.  I just have some ideas to toss out.  Yes, unfortunately, you cannot delete just the route. 

• I don't think it is a bluetooth problem.  Your tracker should be able to connect to your phone if they are within 20 feet of each other.
  • Funky maps can mean loss of GPS satellite connection, not bluetooth connection.  Tall buildings can interfere with GPS.  I don't think the buildings are moving around at night, but heavy cloud cover can also mess with GPS.  Also, check your specific brand of phone to see if there is any advice on how to maintain a good GPS signal.  I use an iPhone -- but I understand that android phones have different power save settings that are not on an iPhone.  Do you have this same map problem with other GPS activities like walking or running?
  • I'm sure you really want to have mile splits and speed.  But if this is the same commute every day, do you still need a map and splits every day?  Just using the Smart Track feature will auto recognize it a a bike ride and give you your start, duration, HR and calorie burn. 
  • You do not want to re-categorize it as Spinning.  Spinning is one of the Exercise Shortcuts that is indoor, stationary bike.  It isn't a GPS connected activity -- it is only a virtual distance.

I hope this helps.

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Sense 2, Luxe, Aria 2 | iOS | Mac OS

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

Thanks for the ideas. I'm interested in how my speed varies over time, i.e. as I get fitter, also I don't commute exactly the same route every day so that's also interesting to compare. This means I'd like to have the route saved if I can.

Is it a location problem? Yes there are sections, when it does record, where the GPS trace skips around because the signal is poor, and I will tolerate that. (Although I'm in flat, semi rural UK so there's not much to get in the way!) But my problem is huge gaps in my route, and at that time the watch is showing no phone connection at all even though it's maybe 4' away. I have had success tracking walks - then my phone is in my pocket, not a pannier. I don't want to risk losing my phone out of my pocket while cycling though.

Thanks anyway!

Best Answer
0 Votes

...and the idea of recategorising as spinning was precisely because that's not a GPS activity, i.e.it would (maybe) force the useless track to be binned and just keep the HR etc.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have a similar GPS problem with my Charge 2 HR: Fitbit only shows a small random portion of the route on the map. It is *not* a GPS connection problem with my Android phone as another app on the phone (Suunto Sports Tracker) shows the complete route correctly. I start the excercise mode using the Fitbit device and the device stays correctly in that mode until I stop it. What can be the problem?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey @ersre.

Thanks for sharing your experience on the matter.

It could definitely be that the tracker itself got disconnected, even if another different tracker didn't disconnect it could happen to the Fitbit.

Additionally, I'd like to ask what activity did you select on your Fitbit? I'd recommend that you try to use the Run one as the others sometimes have some accuracy issues. 

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for the reply.

I selected "Walk" on my Fitbit (as my knee doesn't like me running). Will try with "Run" anyway. I did notice accuracy issues, Fitbit missed steps and underestimated the distance.

Losing BT connection is a possible explanation but then I'd expect Fitbit device or the Fitbit App display some error. I saw none.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @ersre.

Thanks for your reply!

Please do try the Run activity, even if you only walk, it should be more accurate.

As for the error, it is possible that they disconnect randomly and then reconnect on their own and thus show no error. So that'd be something to keep an eye on.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for the reply

I tested a couple of times using the "Run" activity even if I walked, with no improvemment. (However, doing so changed dramatically down Fitbit estimate of my fitness so I deleted these activities afterwards).

Monitoring the display during excercise showed BT issues (animated dashed lines next to the phone symbol). I figure the culprit is the metallic 3rd party wristband I now use. For now, I'll therefore continue using another tool for mapping my routes.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @ersre.

Thanks for getting back to me with your findings.

It is possible that the 3rd party band could cause issues. Thankfully you can track your routes with other services so that you do not miss out on your information. Wearing your tracker should still credit you for steps and calories.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Best Answer
0 Votes