Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do all Fitbit devices now require Windows 10?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I just got a new Fitbit Charge 2.  My connecting devices are a new Moto g4 and Windows 7.  I previously had a Fitbit Charge HR, which worked fine with Windows 7 and a Moto g2, until the Charge HR fell apart.

When my new Charge 2 arrived a few days ago, the display on the device said www.fitbit.com/startup, and this message cannot be cleared.  Both my phone and Windows 7 show the Charge 2, and indicate that I need a firmware update.  Because Windows 10 is apparently required (it doesn't even say that on the box),  I tried to do the firmware update with my phone, but it fails repeatedly.   I tried to use Fitbit Connect with the dongle, but it didn't work. Is there anything I have not thought of?

I think I probably have to return the Charge 2.  My question is whether Windows 10 is needed for all Fitbit devices. I would be ok with the Alta, but if it also needs Windows 10, I will have to leave Fitbit behind.  Thanks.

Best Answer
4 REPLIES 4

@Whichdevice wrote:

My question is whether Windows 10 is needed for all Fitbit devices.

No, Windows 10 is not required for any Fitbit device.  They support Windows 10, but it is not required. If you have the Fitbit Dongle left from your Charge HR, you can use that with Windows 7 with the Charge 2.  The Motorola Moto G2 is also a supported device for the Charge 2.

So, the problem comes down to which message are you getting: Does the tracker show the fitbit.com/setup message, or have you completed setup and the phone app says you need a firmware update?  If the tracker is showing the fitbit.com/setup message, you need to add the tracker to your app.  If you have done that, and the Charge 2 shows all of the normal display screens such as time, steps, etc., but your app says you need to update the firmware, then you need to click on that link to start the update.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi-

The app on my Moto g4 shows the Charge 2 as installed, and it shows as
Charge 2 in my Bluetooth pairing. Present Firmware Version shows as
22.22.20.17, and battery full. The Moto g4 app has a message that says
"Your Charge 2 needs a software update before you can use it." Then it
gives the option of "later" or "Finish Now." When I try "Finish Now", I
almost immediately get a message that the update failed.

At one time, I also had a message about software updates on the dashboard,
but that is not showing now. It shows the same info about Firmware version
and battery as on my phone app. I still have the dongle from my Fitbit
Charge, but when I launch Fitbit Connect, nothing happens. Any idea which
would be the right file for Fitbit Connect? I have a bunch of versions in my
download file. When I installed my previous Charge HR, I had to do it via
computer vs. phone.

The tracker does not display anything but the setup message.

Thanks!
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for your help.

I decided to start over.  I deleted the Charge 2 from the Fitbit app on my Moto g4.  I also deleted it from the dashboard on my computer.

I had a 65% charge on my phone. I fully charged the Charge 2 (plugged into the wall).  I toggled Bluetooth off and on before starting. I left the Charge 2 plugged in,  and started again, using the phone. Everything went smoothly -- adding the Charge 2 to my account and updating the firmware. I think having the Charge 2 plugged in may have made a difference. 

Best Answer

Glad you got it going, @Whichdevice!  Enjoy!

Best Answer