Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earth badge - Why 7,900 miles?

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I finished the the year (2016) by earning the Russian Railway badge (5772 miles) on 12/31/16. A little Internet sleuthing revealed that the next, and seemingly last (unless it just has not been discovered by anyone) lifetime distance badge is Earth, at 7,900 miles.

I do not understand what this distance has to do with Earth. Google informs me that the circumference of the Earth is 24,901 mi, that's a very different number from the distance for the Earth badge.

So, anyone know why 7,900 miles?

Thanks and I'll take my answer off the air.

Happy new year, Eric

--- Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do.
Flex (Christmas 2014), ChargeHR (Christmas 2015). Wife is using the Flex now! Nope, that Flex has died. Alta ordered 12/15/16 as Flex replacement. So far, she likes it. Nope, alta battery only lasts 2 days, started at 7. Support contacted 12/7/17. Hope warranty covers it.
Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@EricJRW 7900 miles is the approximate equatorial diameter of Earth (wiki source). I suppose that's the distance you'd get if you somehow walked straight down through the planet.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
14 REPLIES 14

@EricJRW 7900 miles is the approximate equatorial diameter of Earth (wiki source). I suppose that's the distance you'd get if you somehow walked straight down through the planet.

Best Answer

@MatthewFitbit, thank you so much for that. It makes no sense that fitbit would include a badge for a distance that is completely impossible to walk. It does make me wonder what the longest land route on the earth is though? Across Asia, or maybe the Americas?

Thanks again and happy new year!

Eric

--- Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do.
Flex (Christmas 2014), ChargeHR (Christmas 2015). Wife is using the Flex now! Nope, that Flex has died. Alta ordered 12/15/16 as Flex replacement. So far, she likes it. Nope, alta battery only lasts 2 days, started at 7. Support contacted 12/7/17. Hope warranty covers it.
Best Answer

@EricJRW I'm guessing there aren't too many things to designate with such a great distance, and the team wanted something with a big number. I know there are a few trails in the US that get up into the thousands of miles, but nothing quite reaches 7900 miles.

Looks like some of the longest walking trails are the ones that cross continents - like the American Discovery Trail (6800 mi). Probably a better option than walking through the Earth.

Best Answer

Just a note... earth isn't the last badge. They have added a pole to pole following. 

Best Answer

@essieL,

Have you found www.walking4fun.com? They have virtual hikes on 18 trails including the Appalacian Trail and the Pacific Crest Trail. It interfaces with Fitbit, so you don't need to log any data.

http://48statehike.blogspot.com
Best Answer

Wow! Thanks

Best Answer
0 Votes

7900 miles is the actual polar diameter of the earth, so walk through the earth from pole to pole.

Best Answer
0 Votes

The gap between 5773 miles and 7900 miles is psychologically intimidating for those of us who are not ultra-athletes!! I'm an old lady; I may not live long enough to achieve 7900 miles. Surely there must another distance between these two that is "more achievable". Is Fitbit trying to encourage or discourage us?

Best Answer

Dear Matthewfitbit

Do you work for fitbit?

For a distance between 5772 and 7900 miles, you refer to American Discovery Trail, 6800 miles.

Perhaps fitbit should include this as an inbetween badge? Are there other trails on other continents that are also in the "inbetween mileage "?

Should fitbit cooperate/coordinate with other organizations regarding ,mileage?

Is not the purpose of fitbit to ENCOURAGE us?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I understand we would like place names for distance badges. But over the years with Fitbit there is some complacency by the Fitbitters about distance/step badges..   We definitely need smaller increments in the distance badges because I still need another 2.5 years to get my Pole to Pole badge..

3 years ago I posted a Suggestion for 1,000,000 steps incremental badges, but sadly there are only 197 votes for this.. even with the moderators given it a plus it leaves me wondering why the lack of inertia.  It's still going to take me about 2.5 years top get my Pole to Pole badge..

Here is the link to the Topic and the link to the Suggestion

Here is an Australian suggestion for a badge which I would earn immediately.

Australia's Highway 1 at a total length of approximately 14,500 km (9,000 mi) it is the longest national highway in the world, surpassing the Trans-Siberian Highway (over 11,000 km or 6,800 mi) and the Trans-Canada Highway (8,030 km or 4,990 mi).

Highway 1.jpg

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer

Hello everyone.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and suggestions on the matter.

As @Colinm39 mentioned, maybe you could support the suggestion he mentioned. You can vote for it or comment on it to show that you'd like to see it implemented. If you have any questions on the matter, be sure to read the FAQ.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Lanuza | Community Moderator

Remember to vote for posts that helped you out! Tired of the same workout music? Try a Podcast! 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

I’m within 200 miles of the diameter of the Earth badge and like the idea of some intermediate goals. I’d also like to know some data like percentage of uses reaching the badges and average time it takes them to get there. I’m asking because I’ve been a Fit Bit user since October 2019 so I’d like to know if I’m on the right pace for the badges I’ve achieved and intend to reach.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey there, @JohnnyMajors!

Your feedback about the badges is appreciated since Fitbit is always working to improve based on your experience and ideas. I suggest you to visit our Feature Suggestions board and post this suggestion. If a similar suggestion has already been made by another member of the community, you can vote for their suggestion and add your comments. Our product development teams consult regularly this section as Fitbit takes your comments and sentiments in regards to our products and services into consideration.

See you around.

If my post was helpful, you can vote for it. You can also mark it as Best Answer if it was what you were looking for!
Best Answer
0 Votes

I've been a Fitbit user since 12/26/14, which is 7-years and 4-months. Today 4/27/22, I just made my Earth badge with 7,900 lifetime miles. It took me 2-years and 3-months to go from Great Wall = 5,500 miles to Earth = 7,900 miles, which is a distance of 2,400 miles. Online it says the next and last lifetime mileage badge is Pole to Pole = 12,430 miles. I exercise but don't jog, run or do marathons, so I walk an average of 20 miles per week, or about 1,000 miles per year. It'll take me about 4-years to reach 12,430 miles, which is way too long. I'd like Fitbit to consider adding more intermediate lifetime mileage badges, in between the Earth and Pole to Pole badges. 2,400 miles was long, but Earth to Pole to Pole is 4,530 more miles, and I believe that's too far for the average Fitbit user to remain motivated. The mileage has always increased from lifetime badge to badge, which makes sense to have you go farther each time, but they don't always have to. I'd like to earn a lifetime mileage badge every one to one and a half years and an occasional one every 4 to 6 months, just like the Minion step badges, which were both way below my highest one day step total. The badges are goals that keep us motivated and the decision makers at Fitbit should offer more badges at reasonably attainable distances and mix them up with occasional shorter distances to make it more fun and interesting. Thanks, Mark Sippin, Newtown, CT.

Best Answer