Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email spam

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I just received an email that was supposedly a fitbit private message in the community  trying to sell me sunglasses. I'd like to report this spam and have concerns about how they accessed my email address. 

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@sighutch The offending user was removed from the Community, which retroactively deleted their PM.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
54 REPLIES 54

In your PM there is an option to report the PM. At the bottom of the message.

They took care of mine within 5 minutes. They are taking care of them really fast as I got 3 today

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

Strangely I never got a pm just an email 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@sighutch The offending user was removed from the Community, which retroactively deleted their PM.

Best Answer

Thankyou. This makes sense. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Just received a PM from (removed) advertising sunglasses.  Notice that others have also received similar.  If this is on the increase, could we have a report button added to PMs please.  On a side note, I'm a clumsy MF and wouldn't pay more than £3 for sunglasses that I will probably sit on after just a couple of weeks.  Thank you.

Best Answer

There is a report button in PM

report.jpg

I used it when I got the same message

They took care of it

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

I just got the same message. I can't find the report button.

Best Answer

On both Chrome and Internet Explorer/Edge just shows one unread message and does not open any further so no "report" button for me here.  Will have to look on the App on my phone.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I would also wish to report spam coming through as a fitbit private message selling sunglasses. How did they get access to our accouints please. Do I need to cancel being part of the community

Best Answer
0 Votes

Nothing on the Android App either.

Best Answer
0 Votes

All sorted.  There was an almost invisible apostrophe button that I had to click to bring up the report|Reply|delete options. 

Best Answer

Receiving a spam message in no way means that the user gained access to your account.  It simply means they created an account in the community and sent bulk private messages to other users.  There is no logical reason to over-react and leave simply because of one piece of junk mail.

Do you decide to move anytime you get unsolicited junk mail via the postal service?

Best Answer

This seems to be an ongoing issue: As soon as you delete one spammer, they open another account as I just received the same spam 2 hours ago.

For that reason I would like to be able to report a spam message, ignore a spammer or delete a message, WITHOUT first having to open the message, as this is a security vulnerability. I don't want to first have to actually download a picture or anything else that might be contained inside the spam message!

Am I overlooking something or do I really have to read the message first?

Best Answer

I just received an email from a different user for Rayban sunglasses. I am trying to view the PM on my phone and there is no report spam option in the mobile view. There is no way to change to desktop

view.

Fitbit Charge HR, Alta, Aria, Premium Services, iPhone SE, iPad Mini
Best Answer

The message is just a link so when you open it there is no Report button

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for reporting this, everyone. As @WendyB mentioned, the best way to report these is via the "Report" link at the bottom of every PM.

This user has been removed from the forums, and we are taking measures to prevent this sort of content in the future. I've also removed the link from the lead post so as to avoid promoting the spam site - I recommend not visiting that link, as it is not a legitimate retailer.

To be clear, the spam sender does not have access to any of your information, and your accounts are not at risk. We have implemented changes which I believe will prevent this sort of messaging in the future.

Best Answer

I see this comes up as Spam12345. Is that their original name or is it what it was changed to when account was removed?

Best Answer

@rebel3217 The original username contained the url of the malicious website, so it was changed.

Best Answer
0 Votes

The message shows up in my Inbox as "Unread" and I don't have any option that I can see to delete it. The envelope icon on the top of my Fitbit notification bar in my browser shows a red dot which corresponds to a waiting message.

Any ideas how to remove the message and the dot?

Best Answer