Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email spam

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I just received an email that was supposedly a fitbit private message in the community  trying to sell me sunglasses. I'd like to report this spam and have concerns about how they accessed my email address. 

Best Answer
54 REPLIES 54

It was changed to that after it was reported.

Fitbit Charge HR, Alta, Aria, Premium Services, iPhone SE, iPad Mini
Best Answer
0 Votes

@MatthewFitbit, there was no link to report it in the PM. I am not sure if that is related to using a mobile device with the mobile website (Safari on an iPhone SE).  I also looked for a switch to desktop view option but there was none as I knew from this thread there should be a report option.

I think this is something your programmers need to improve.  As the only way to report was via posting or sending a customer support email which would have my info not the spammers.

Best Answer

I am having the same problem with the red dot and the message will not open so it shows as unread.

Best Answer
0 Votes

AstarothSquirre gave me a tip: there's a tiny little comma under the topic of the message. If you click that it will open the message with the option to Report.

Best Answer

@Classy This is what PMs look like in my mobile browser:

pm.pngAt the bottom of the message are the "Delete" and "Reply" buttons, as well as a link to "Report" the message.

If you're seeing something different when you open a message, please post a screenshot so I can understand what it looks like.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I actually couldn't open the message.  There was a blue bar along the side.  But another user told me to click the little comma at the start of the message after the header. When I did that it opened and I was able to see the report button.

I've deleted the message now so can't screen shot it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've got one of these, as well. The user is not deleted and the spam is still in my inbox. I've PMed you about it.

Best Answer

I agree with the posters that want a report button before the image is downloaded. That image was tagged with an ID, so now the spammer knows I've seen it. Plus, the image could have malware or other issues.

Best Answer

That user has been removed from our Community, and the message can be ignored. We have implemented new safety measures to prevent malicious use of the PM feature, as well as Community images.

Best Answer

Thanks for the hint on how to even open the message.
This apostrophe is a UI-catastrophe (no pun intended 😉 ).
How the heck are we to know that's how to open the message?!

Best Answer

I got same, or similar today. Message is still there, as well as the user. No report link or button available, neither on message nor user profile page. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunner, you must open the message in order to see the Report link at the bottom of the message. If you got the rayban spam message, you will need to click on the very small apostrophe in the subject line to open it:

Spam.jpg

Best Answer
0 Votes

I received an email in my inbox referencing a private message selling sunglasses. I cannot find a private message anywhere in my fit bit app, and I do not want to click on any links in the email. How do I report this user, as they could be using multiple user names. As one is blocked they could be creating another. 

Best Answer

@dianewordsmith, at the top of this page, on the righthand side of the toolbar, you will see an envelope. Click on that and it will open your Personal Messages.

PM-Envelope.jpg

Best Answer
0 Votes

I can see that on Desktop but not on mobile. I had to turn on my laptop. Is there a way to turn off private messages?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes, @dianewordsmith, you can turn off Private Messages so that no one can send them to you.  Click on your Profile icon on the upper righthand corner of this page, and select Settings. When that page opens, select Community Preferences and then Private Messenger, and Uncheck Turn On Private Messages and save the changes.

PMs.jpg

Best Answer
0 Votes

Done. Thank you!

Best Answer
0 Votes
Ray-Ban S.
  • Joined Mar 15, 2017
Add Friend
The above person is trying to sell sun glasses.
Please delete their membership.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@MrHOP, please see the posts just above yours with instructions on reporting this spam. That will allow the moderator to take care of it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks Larry! I had opened the message, but completely missed the apostrophe.

@MatthewFitbit Is this UI design some kind of bad joke? It's indescribable bad...

Best Answer
0 Votes