Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exporting weight loss and interpolated data

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

A couple of concerns:

1) Is Fitbit EVER going to fix the bug that prevents downloading more than 1 month's worth of data at a time?  A search of these forums indicated it's been a known "feature" for perhaps two years.

2) When I look at my weight in the dashboard, it displays only days that I actually entered a value.  Yet when I export the data, it records some kind of smoothed, interpolated value on every day.  I don't want Fitbit's guesstimates.  I want to export my data.  We do own our data, right?  How do I get just the values that I entered?

Best Answer
8 REPLIES 8

Hello @dcobranchi!

I'd like to answer your first question and ask for some more information on the second one:

1. At this moment we do not have any updates or news on the matter. Once we do have anything to say we'll be sure to let everyone know. 
  2. I'd like to ask you to please take a screen shot of the exported data and one from the data showing on your Dashboard so that I can get a better grasp at what is exactly going on.

Look forward to your reply.

Lanuza | Community Moderator

Remember to vote for posts that helped you out! Tired of the same workout music? Try a Podcast! 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

You can see in the measurement history that I only have recorded two values this month.  Yet the export shows something every day.

Capture.JPGCapture.JPG

Best Answer

Hey @dcobranchi! Thanks for attaching those pictures.

I can definitely see what you said. It definitely looks like the Dashboard entered information based on the graph that shows on the web Dashboard. The numbers from March 4th to 7th should match the ones showing there. 

In this case, since the exporting is based on that information it wouldn't be possible to get only the details that you entered. However you could manually delete the information for the days in which you did not log your weight.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Remember to vote for posts that helped you out! Tired of the same workout music? Try a Podcast! 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have the same concerns as @dcobranchi.

I too am looking for exporting more than 31 days of data and having a way of getting only actual data points so that I can do my own analysis.

The work arounds of exporting one month at a time manually and having to scrub my data after the fact to remove interpolated data points is very time consuming. I would much appreciate getting the raw data of actual data points for all time. Thanks for your help!

Best Answer

Hello @MarkSi.

I absolutely understand where you are coming from. Please do know that we take comments like this seriously and are always looking for ways to improve. If you have the time, perhaps you could write about it in our Feature Suggestions board where other users can vote or comment on your idea to show their support. 

Hope to see you around.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@dcobranchi and @LanuzaFitbit:

Without looking at another period when there where gaps between "actual" weight entries, I can only say that it looks like, for the period in question (3/3 - 3/8), the download took the 1.6 pound difference, divided that by 5 days to get an average daily change of .32 pounds. And "Bingo" there are your daily extrapolated values.

I suspect it makes a nice smooth line on a graph, but take it from an application developer (computer programmer) that has been performing data extracts for over 30 years - that is not what the term "export" means. 

For some people, having the application perform some kind of analysis is great. For others, not so great, as they, like @dcobranchi, want to apply their own rules to the data. And hey, like Fitbit says, we own the data.

RETIRED Enterprise Computing / "IT Guy" - Southern California - Marine Staff Sergeant 1970-78
Apple Watch 6 - iPhone 8 (iOS 16.6) - FitBit app 3.87 - MacBook Air (macOS Catalina)
Best Answer

Thanks for the feedback.

I've posted to the feature request forum at https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Suggestions/Exporting-Aria-Data-Should-Generate-All-Raw-Data...

Best Answer

Hello @MarkSi and @MrMarv.

@MrMarv As always, great post. I understand where you are coming from and definitely see your point. I will be sure to let the rest of the team know.

@MarkSi Thanks for sharing the suggestion! I will be sure to keep it mind in case I can refer other users to it. 

Hope to see you both around! Feel free to ask me if there are any questions.

Best Answer
0 Votes