Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fishy friend requests - feedback

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I have heard others say that they receive friend requests from people who are not using Fitbit for the purpose of getting fit and encouraging others the same but for the purpose of looking for someone to chat and hook up with. I find that very creepy that people are abusing this site for that. Recently I have received I don't know how many friend requests randomly out of the blue from creepy people I don't know with these clear as day fake accounts with no step data, no photo and the friends are all one gender, screaming red flag. Seems like it has started with me since this virus outbreak has happened as scammers are finding different ways to take advantage of people at vulnerable times. I'm just getting really annoyed with it and wondering is Fitbit really doing anything to address this. I don't want to delete my account, I really shouldn't have to, to keep from being annoyed. I enjoy using Fitbit and don't want to discontinue using it. I just can't stand it when people take something good such as this and then mess it up for everyone else. There are sites specially for chatting and hooking up, this ain't it. I thought the only way to make a Fitbit profile is you have to have a device.  

Moderator edit: Updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Yes! Same here, almost one every day since March! It's so annoying! And the sketchiness makes me uncomfortable and doesn't really make me feel like my data/privacy is protected by Fitbit! 

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
9 REPLIES 9

@Sum-merFun Welcome to the Community. Sorry for the delayed reply. 

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback about these fake profiles. I understand where you're coming from. 

There's no need to delete your Fitbit account, we have noticed a recent rise in spam content and our team is working to resolve this. You could report these profiles following the instructions in this article. If you receive any friend request from these profiles, we will appreciate that you report them from your app because it's not possible to report them from the online Dashboard. 

I'll be around if you have any additional questions. Thanks for your understanding. 

Want to get more active? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

I've had exactly the same problem start last week. The friend invites are slightly creepy. 

Best Answer

I decided to do a little test and see how many friend requests I would get in a ten day range. 

In ten days- I received 78 requests. Of those requests, I could tell 70 of them are fake profiles. How do I know? No activity, no badges, account is created within the last two weeks, fake pictures of known celebrities, and added to almost all the groups. 

When I don't post anything, I still get requests, but it is in the 2-3 range. When I do post, my friend requests blow up. 

I keep getting told to block and report the profiles, but isn't it fitbit's responsibility to protect its users so I don't have to report and block 70 people in ten days? This is getting ridiculous. DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS. 

Best Answer

@Spamber It's nice to see you on the Community.

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with unwanted friend requests. I truly appreciate that you mentioned how many you received. Be sure that your comments haven't been unnoticed and we're always striving to improve our services offered. 

Don't hesitate to get back if you have any additional questions. 

Best Answer

Same thing keeps happening to me.  I keep declining his friend request and he won’t leave me alone. I have deleted more than 10 today 7/18/2020.  I don’t know what to do???

Best Answer

@Lorried It's nice to see you on the Community.

Thanks for sharing what you're experiencing with friend requests. I see where you're coming from. 

In this case, you could block the person that keeps sending you friend request, to do so: 

- Tap the profile 

- Tap the three dots > Block User or block friend 

I'll be around if you have any additional questions. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks- just wanted to add that at over a month of watching I received over 220 friend requests. This is getting out of control. I really hope that you guys are figuring out a solution to this because I am about ready to sell my fitbit and find another brand to use. 

Best Answer

@Spamber Thanks for getting back. I truly appreciate that you mentioned, you've received over 220 friend requests. I've shared your reports with my team and they are already investigating these fake accounts. 

Your patience and understanding is appreciated. Feel free to post back if you have any additional questions. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes! Same here, almost one every day since March! It's so annoying! And the sketchiness makes me uncomfortable and doesn't really make me feel like my data/privacy is protected by Fitbit! 

Best Answer