Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit's Premium Trainer needs to go back to math class

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

According to the Activity + Stats tile on the main Dashboard, my BMR is 18 per 15-minute period, or 1,728 calories per day.

According to the graph on the Activity Logging Screen, my BMR is 6 per 5-minute period, also 1,728 calories per day.

The Trainer Tile on the main dashboard says my Activity Calorie goal is 955 calories.

The total of my Fitbit-calculated BMR and my Activity Calorie goal is therefore 1,728+955=2,683 calories.

Problem Number One: Trainer has set my calorie goal at 2,629 calories, 54 calories LESS than the combination of my BMR and Activity Calorie Goal.

But wait, there's more! Yesterday, the Trainer Tile reports that I earned 1,008 activity calories, 108% of my Activity Calorie Goal. After an extensive self-examination, I have determined that I was alive for the full 24 hours of the day yesterday, resulting in a BMR burn of 1,728 calories. That means I burned 1,728+1,008=2,736 calories yesterday, more than the 2,683 calories of my combined BMR+AC goal, and more than the Trainer-supplied goal of 2,629 calories.

Yet the Calorie Meter reports that I burned only 2,550 calories, 186 calories less than my BMR+Activity Calories, and more importantly, 79 calories less than it takes to turn that orange circle to green.

Premium Trainer clearly can't add 2+2 and get the appropriate answer of 4.

Somebody needs to send the Premium Trainer back to math class before it screws up my collection of pretty green circles again.

This ain't rocket science. It ain't even calculus. It's simple arithmetic. Get 'er done!

SebringDon | Florida USA | Fitbit's Food Plan Demystified

Charge HR, Flex | Windows 10 | Android | iPad

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
1 REPLY 1

Hi @SebringDon, 🙂 while reviewing your scenario I thought of explaining the trainer functionality in detail. I want to start clarifying that the trainer Calorie goal needs to be set for either increase or maintain your activity level. The trainer will then calculate a percentage of activity that is required to reach a next level of activity (for example a caloric outtake percentage to reach Fairly Active in case you are an Active person) This may vary depending on the activity performed during the prior week. For more specific information about your exact scenario, please reach out to customer support, as they will be able to deeply review your stats. 

Keep me posted! 🙂 

Retired ModeratorAngela | Community Moderator

It is health that is real wealth and not pieces of silver and gold! Share your story!

Best Answer