Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Floors

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Ok.  Not been on one of these before but I don't really know who or where to ask.  

The floors are not showing up on my Blaze.  I got it for my Birthday in January and the floor bit has never worked properly!  What should I do? 

Best Answer
0 Votes
3 REPLIES 3

@RuthieStenn  A common problem... and here is a long answer, hopefully others will find/read this post as well because your topic hasn't been asked for awhile.  You are in the correct area for Dashboard questions because it will cover all Fitbits that can measure floors..  Here is a link to Fitbits explanation of all types of activity but they don't include what the Fitbit Community have established.

Floors are measured by increases in height of 10' (3m) minimum and you will find in a house it's an issue.. Years ago some Fitbitters were crouching at the bottom of their stairs and then jumping at the top to try and invoke the 10'..  That's also why using stair climbers in a gym wont work, no height change.

Because it's an altimeter it will be affected by changes in air pressure. Other Fitbitters have observed moving from a positive air in a laboratory out to a corridor or the reverse have noticed a jump. Others moving from an air conditioned office into a stair well..same thing.

Where I walk around my streets, in my immediate area to home I have gradients where I will always get 2 floors and I have 9 marginal gradients.. occasionally I get all 11, but very rare..  I had plotted the walk area via Google Map Pedometer to see why I wasn't getting the 9 marginal floors..  Fitbit doesn't accrue downhill. See my image...

Finally if you are out in a heavy wind or breeze, the changing air pressure around your Fitbit will give you phantom floors.. I accept those, because over a year it averages out

As a positive test you should find some stairs like in a sporting complex. In 2013  there was a Challenge to honor the firies who were involved in the 9/11 disaster and I did my 106 floors.. I chose this because I had handrails in case I faltered..I tested that I would always get 2 floors up, but couldn't stop on the first level because that was marginal... .. Phew, had to go to the top every time otherwise I wouldn't get the 2 floors....... I did it.. at age 74

Stairs Duncan.jpg

Here is the Google Pedometer plot and I have cut and pasted the elevation for the metric users..  You can see the ups and downs as to why I can't get the marginal floors..  A windy day I will always get them but not based on Altitude.  This walk is about 3,700 steps for me.

Elevation 2.jpg

wrote:

Ok.  Not been on one of these before but I don't really know who or where to ask.  

The floors are not showing up on my Blaze.  I got it for my Birthday in January and the floor bit has never worked properly!  What should I do? 

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer
Thank you so much for your comprehensive answer. I will look at what our stairs at home measure. I had a knee injury before my birthday and haven't used by device to its full extent yet. Am looking forward to getting some steps on it. Very well done on your 106 floors 🙂

Sent from Samsung tablet.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@RuthieStennThanks for the response... Over the years Fitbitters have tried to trick the altimeter. I can remember a few of posts..

• Squat at the bottom of your stairs and at the top swing you arm in the air as you jump.
  • Squat at the bottom and jump onto a chair at the top.. Gets dangerous...now
  • A house with a landing half way up, the fitbitter found, if they stopped they got no credit.at the top..

The foibles of getting "addicted" to your Fitbit...

Enjoy you gift as many of us have..and take care of your knee.....

wrote:
Thank you so much for your comprehensive answer. I will look at what our stairs at home measure. I had a knee injury before my birthday and haven't used by device to its full extent yet. Am looking forward to getting some steps on it. Very well done on your 106 floors 🙂

Sent from Samsung tablet.

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer
0 Votes